• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Intersectionality and Gender Studies

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Please note that this is in the Feminist Only Dir and so, respectfully...

1. Given that the vast majority of women polled do not identify as Feminists, has modern Feminism made a mistake by embracing both the concept of Intersectionality and the field of Gender Studies?

2. What are RF Feminist's opinions on the reception of Intersectionality and the field of Gender Studies outside of Academia?

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Orbit

I'm a planet
1. I think most women do agree with the statement "I believe women should be treated equally", so I doubt that the "Vast majority" are not feminist. They are feminist, they just don't identify with the movement as a movement.

2. I don't think there is an audience for Intersectionality/Gender Studies outside of academia except among activists of various stripes.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I think many people don't identify with feminism because, even if they do support equality for women, they don't see it as being genuinely egalitarian.

Phantasman

From my spiritual view, wisdom comes through the feminine. The problem of patriarchy is mans thinking that his physical strength allots him wisdom above feminine. I refuse to see this as truth. Biologically, females have mental abilities over males, since they have the ability to define thinking for more than one (childbirth).

It's never been a mans world, though they feel they have made it that way. A smart female can derive more of what she desires from a male than the reversal. Men have a harder time controlling their sexuality than females.

A female has every right to compete against any male for any position in life.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I think that intersectionality and gender studies is not really well looked at outside of academia. It's one thing to study such things, but from what I've seen the application to the real world does seem to appear to be lacking. Thus outsiders probably look at it as a rather simplistic lens from which to view the world with.