• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interrogate me

Galateasdream

Feel free to ask whatever. I am not shy about much.

But depending upon my mood I may answer very frivolously or in gif format. I'm fabulous like that! :)

Galateasdream

What is your stance on Brexit?

I didn't vote for it, I actually didn't vote at all. I thought the issue way to complex for me and that both campaigns were lying. I have a strong distrust of politicians - they all seem to lie.

But after the result came I thought and said to my colleagues/family two things:

a) the establishment would never let it happen, and would fight tooth and nail to prevent it (a prediction I think I largely got right);

and

b) democracy requires that the result be honoured as soon as possible regardless of the consequences, and that failing to uphold standard democratic norms, and instead delaying, was going to be far more damaging in the long term to social cohesion and respect of our democratic processes than just getting it done and taking whatever economic hit would result.

In short, I think the whole thing from the start until now has been a total mess by all concerned on both sides, but I largely blame the remainers who didn't accept the result gracefully.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
Heavy question.

Do you think that considering the Bible infallible makes it a false idol for those that view it so?

Light question.

Who is your favorite doctor?

Galateasdream

Heavy question.

Do you think that considering the Bible infallible makes it a false idol for those that view it so?

Light question.

Who is your favorite doctor?

I wouldn't say that holding the bible as infallible makes it a false idol, just probably a mistaken theology. Or at least no more a false idol than any of our no-doubt-less-than-perfect conceptions of God, which is where I guess the via negativa has a thing to say.

Favourite doctor? That's hard. Baker and Davidson were my childhood doctors, so there's fond memories there, but I actually really liked the first reboot doctor Eccleston, so different and punk :). Matt Smith was also very endearing at times.

Galateasdream

Do you believe that God loves us unconditional, so not judging our feelings?

I'm not sure what you mean exactly.

Do I believe God loves us? Yes.
Is there anything we can do to lose that love? No.

But I'm not sure what you mean by 'judging our feelings'?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I'm not sure what you mean exactly.

Do I believe God loves us? Yes.
Is there anything we can do to lose that love? No.

But I'm not sure what you mean by 'judging our feelings'?
Does God differentiate between "how I feel"
Example:
Person 1 Loves God through Jesus
Person 2 Loves God through Muhammad
Person 3 Loves God through Buddha
Person 4 Loves God through Humanity
Person 5 Loves God through living like Jesus (although he never heard of Jesus)

Galateasdream

Example:

Maybe. I guess it entirely depends on the individual circumstance and the reasons for believing what one believes, and choosing the path one chooses.

For example, I could imagine a scenario where someone rejects a revelation of truth and goodness, through whichever vehicle, not because of an amoral reason but due to some moral impediment - maybe they reject one teaching and are drawn to another particular religion or philosophy because it speaks to their vengeance or anger or greed rather than to truth or beauty or holiness.

However, I must leave all such judgements to God - there is absolutely no way I can know. I think the Jesus and Pauline teaching to not judge, even refrain from judging yourself, is insightful. How can any but God know exactly how free we were to make other choices in any given situation? I can trust that God, being omniscient, will be able to judge right. And then, since God is omnibenevolent, I can trust God to be utterly merciful and only judge for the benefit of myself and others if needed at all.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Example:

For example, I could imagine a scenario where someone rejects a revelation of truth and goodness
Just now, I am thinking about the First Commandment "Love God with all your heart". So all 5 "Love God" with all their heart, and additional, depending on the country/culture, they also Love a certain prophet and all the high values they put in practice (Love thy neighbor as thyself etc)
(When I was ca. 10 years old, I asked my mother a similar question. Certain thoughts are like a red line throughout my life)

However, I must leave all such judgements to God - there is absolutely no way I can know
I totally agree with that. I can never know, at least that is what I believe. The Universe is beyond my comprehension; God even more so.

I forgot the most important question when asking this type of questions:
What is your "picture" of God. No verses please, just your feeling when you are talking about God
(e.g.: When I talk about God ... I go blank, can't think of anything, no thoughts at all. Taking paper and pen I could write "The cause behind all This Mystery")

Last edited:

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
Feel free to ask whatever. I am not shy about much.

But depending upon my mood I may answer very frivolously or in gif format. I'm fabulous like that! :)

Fun questions? Or would you prefer more weighty issues? I know you'd be happy for either, but I'm asking what you prefer here in this thread at the moment.

Galateasdream

Fun questions? Or would you prefer more weighty issues? I know you'd be happy for either, but I'm asking what you prefer here in this thread at the moment.

Whatever, though I'm not really into turning this thread into a debate. Ask, I'll answer, and my response can be left without follow-up for this thread.

halbhh

Whatever, though I'm not really into turning this thread into a debate. Ask, I'll answer, and my response can be left without follow-up for this thread.

Is it really cloudy most of the time there? If so, what's it like when the sun shines really clear? Are there a lot of ducks? Geese? Are the lakes/ponds around really lovely, or do you have to go to the coast for that? Do the English all talk with that wonderful but very....pronounced accent? really?

Galateasdream

Is it really cloudy most of the time there? If so, what's it like when the sun shines really clear? Are there a lot of ducks? Geese? Are the lakes/ponds around really lovely, or do you have to go to the coast for that? Do the English all talk with that wonderful but very....pronounced accent? really?

Mostly cloudy.
Depends where you are when the sun shines. Some places are best left in darkness.
There's some ... Not sure what counts as a lot? I see them regularly, so...
Ponds and lakes are usually pretty, IMHO.
No, you don't have to go to the coast for ponds.
No, there's an insane number of highly different English accents - it changes about every two-three hours drive.

halbhh

highly different English accents - it changes about every two-three hours drive.

We drove to my wife's home state to attend a wedding, and I'd not been there before (though I've stayed extensively in probably about 15 or more states now, and also driven through a few more stopping to eat and hearing accents). We arrived in the little city and stopped to eat supper, and then I heard the voice of the maitre d'.... It was like smoke filled molasses slowly running down the side of a coffee mug. What a flavor! You'd never forget that sound once you heard it!