• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interpretation that does not match

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It is written that Jesus said two things.

6 Then the Lord said: “Hear what the judge, although unrighteous, said! 7 Certainly, then, will not God cause justice to be done for his chosen ones who cry out to him day and night, while he is patient toward them? 8 I tell you, he will cause justice to be done to them speedily. Nevertheless, when the Son of man arrives, will he really find this faith on the earth?”

AND

45 “Who really is the faithful and discreet slave whom his master appointed over his domestics, to give them their food at the proper time? 46 Happy is that slave if his master on coming finds him doing so! 47 Truly I say to you, he will appoint him over all his belongings.

Many people believe Matthew 24:45-47 is a real prophesy about real people.

Assuming it is about real people and that God would really appoint them over everything, then why did Jesus say what is recorded at Luke 18:8?

To all those people who believe the faithful and discreet slave is something that WOULD appear, what is the meaning of his question "will He find faith on the earth?".....?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If Jesus prophesied a faithful and discreet slave who would be given the authority over all of God's belongings (Matthew 24:45,47) why did he also ask will he really find this faith on the earth? (Luke 18:8)

According to the Jehovah's Witnesses Jesus KNEW he would find faith on Earth so why did he ask it?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Another two which I think do not match are these.

Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. Matt 10:37; If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters--yes, even their own life--such a person cannot be my disciple. Luke 14:26

Compare those with this:

Matthew 24:4 "Take care that no one misleads you," answered Jesus

The only way to be misled away from Jesus is to have greater affection for someone else or something else. If a person can be led away it means he has greater affection for something else. If he has greater affection for something else, then why does Jesus say "stay with me" and at the same time say "you are not worthy of me"?

The truth is someone who has not found Jesus and who has not tasted everlasting life can be led away from his search for them. But he was talking to those people who had found him. Wasn't he?

Who was Jesus talking to at Matthew 24:4?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life. John 5:24;
Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on them. John 3:36; I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats this bread will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world. John 6:51

Jesus is saying some people HAVE eternal life. The Bible says a person can be led away from HAVING something.

Please explain how it is possible.

It is very possible and most likely that someone having the promise can (and they do) cause others to wander away from having it. I think that is what Matthew 24:4 is saying.

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The Bible says Jesus says go make disciples and be on the lookout for whatever will mislead you.

Both are very heavy responsibilites.

Making disciples is to be like God and being on the lookout is being a watchman whose job is to stay awake the whole time he is on the job. A Christian is a Christian all the time.

Both commands of Jesus do not match his offer.

Matthew 11:28 Come to me, all you who are toiling and loaded down, and I will refresh you. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am mild-tempered and lowly in heart, and you will find refreshment for yourselves. 30 For my yoke is kindly, and my load is light.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Why is it not something to talk about? Where are all the Bible believers?

To believe the Bible any which way and to believe it is without ferment are opposites. I believe God is true and God's word is without ferment. To believe it is without ferment does not make it so though. I'm sure of it.

To believe the fermented version is not good imo.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

6 Then the Lord said: “Hear what the judge, although unrighteous, said! 7 Certainly, then, will not God cause justice to be done for his chosen ones who cry out to him day and night, while he is patient toward them? 8 I tell you, he will cause justice to be done to them speedily. Nevertheless, when the Son of man arrives, will he really find this faith on the earth?”

AND

45 “Who really is the faithful and discreet slave whom his master appointed over his domestics, to give them their food at the proper time? 46 Happy is that slave if his master on coming finds him doing so! 47 Truly I say to you, he will appoint him over all his belongings.

Assuming it is about real people and that God would really appoint them over everything, then why did Jesus say what is recorded at Luke 18:8?

To all those people who believe the faithful and discreet slave is something that WOULD appear, what is the meaning of his question "will He find faith on the earth?".....?
Sorry I'm late to the party. Does it appear to you like it does to me that Matthew 24:45 which starts "Who really is..." -- that it is not about anyone specific but suggests instead that there is a prize to be won?

For Luke 18:7 does it appear to you that Romans 8:15 is referring to the same thing? It talks about crying 'Father' internally. Also does it seem to you that this could be talking about the daily prayers people pray? It appears related to the prayer "May your will be done on Earth." I'm just brainstorming.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
If Jesus prophesied a faithful and discreet slave who would be given the authority over all of God's belongings (Matthew 24:45,47) why did he also ask will he really find this faith on the earth? (Luke 18:8)

According to the Jehovah's Witnesses Jesus KNEW he would find faith on Earth so why did he ask it?
I'm not affiliated with those kindred, but perhaps this is about redemption of the gentiles. Perhaps it is similar to saying that gentiles with a spirit of adoption could become sons of Abraham. I am guessing. I think of it as a challenge, possibly a tease or like an insult, as if he were begging "Are you just going to sit there and do nothing?"

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life. John 5:24;
Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on them. John 3:36; I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats this bread will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world. John 6:51

Jesus is saying some people HAVE eternal life. The Bible says a person can be led away from HAVING something.

Please explain how it is possible.

It is very possible and most likely that someone having the promise can (and they do) cause others to wander away from having it. I think that is what Matthew 24:4 is saying.

Notice 'has' in the first verse is predicated on the following statements, it isn't indicating anything prior to hearing Esu's words.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
SavageWind said:
Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. Matt 10:37; If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters--yes, even their own life--such a person cannot be my disciple. Luke 14:26
Very difficult one which I have never fully gotten familiar with. Jesus criticized the Pharisees for being selective with their disciples ( I think ). What he is saying here seems related, because its appears at first to contradict the 10 Commandments "Honor your father and mother." How can you honor your parent if you hate them? He appears to be telling these people to hate their own parents in contradiction to the 10, but I don't think that is so. No prophet is going to stand there are diss the 10, so I chuck that idea. (Selective bias?) I think it relates to his 'Born again' speech to Nicodemus and suspect he is talking about discipleship again. Perhaps Pharisees of the time adopted their students. He definitely didn't agree with Pharisee discipleship in some way, so I can consider that a fuzzy possibility. Lots of other ideas come to mind.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
Notice 'has' in the first verse is predicated on the following statements, it isn't indicating anything prior to hearing Esu's words.
Good point. Reminds me of John 3:19...21 "...this is the verdict...whoever lives by the truth comes into the light,"

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
The Bible says Jesus says go make disciples and be on the lookout for whatever will mislead you.

Both are very heavy responsibilites.

Making disciples is to be like God and being on the lookout is being a watchman whose job is to stay awake the whole time he is on the job. A Christian is a Christian all the time.

Both commands of Jesus do not match his offer.

Matthew 11:28 Come to me, all you who are toiling and loaded down, and I will refresh you. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am mild-tempered and lowly in heart, and you will find refreshment for yourselves. 30 For my yoke is kindly, and my load is light.

"Take my yoke upon you" could mean that you are sharing the same yoke, like he is pulling with you.

Some people think it means the burden comes off your back and goes into the cart.

Muffled

Jesus in me

AND

I believe these are the same people.

I believe there will onlky be a few who have this kind of faith. He will have to look hard to find it and although it might appear otherwise He already knows the answer.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
(do not) forsake the gathering of yourselves together Hebrews 10:25

How is this admonition reconciled with these?

evildoers and impostors will go from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived.
2 Timothy 3:13

But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them--bringing swift destruction on themselves. 2 Peter 2:1

Bad associations spoil useful habits 1 Cor 15:33

Therefore, "Come out from them and be separate, says the Lord. Touch no unclean thing, and I will receive you." 2 Cor 6:17

According to the conventional understanding of Hebrews 10:25 God is saying gather to them but do not gather to them.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Which one should I obey? Beware bad men or gather together?

Does God make the congregation free of bad people? If yes, how? If no, I am not suppose to gather to them. Why do you?

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
Which one should I obey? Beware bad men or gather together?

Does God make the congregation free of bad people? If yes, how? If no, I am not suppose to gather to them. Why do you?
:sad4: I'll pay anything just stop making me think!

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I changed my mind. Send money. I'll buy my own chocolate.

ps. I think I am done anyway. Thanks for reading!

sincerly

AND

SW, let's put all the context together. This is the KJV:
Luke 18:1-8, And he spake a parable unto them to this end, that men ought always to pray, and not to faint; Saying, There was in a city a judge, which feared not God, neither regarded man: And there was a widow in that city; and she came unto him, saying, Avenge me of mine adversary. And he would not for a while: but afterward he said within himself, Though I fear not God, nor regard man; Yet because this widow troubleth me, I will avenge her, lest by her continual coming she weary me. And the Lord said, Hear what the unjust judge saith. And shall not God avenge his own elect, which cry day and night unto him, though he bear long with them? I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?'

Matt.24:45-47, , "Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath made ruler over his household, to give them meat in due season? Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing. Verily I say unto you, That he shall make him ruler over all his goods."

SW, There is only one thing that is common to both parables---FAITH.
The woman was faithful to her pleadings of a just right cause--even before an unjust judge. Jesus is saying OUR GOD(Judge) is just and will speedily answer.

The Servant who is trustworthy/loyal has faith in his master/Lord that while waiting he is continuing in the duties assigned/the "doing".

Remember Jesus Christ's comment concerning the centurion's remarks("Only say the words" in regards to Jesus going to heal his servant? Matt.8:10, "When Jesus heard it, he marvelled, and said to them that followed, Verily I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel."

At the time of the Flood, how many had "faith" to get aboard?
Or how many had "faith" to leave the city of Sodom?