• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Internet use by children

Shad

Veteran Member
Not a parent so I can't place myself in this situation, but I'll agree that a lot of parents seemingly are not doing their job - according to the second article in the OP and the later one on how so many are viewing adult material.

I am drawing a lot from my own experience with the internet in the 90s and applying it now while acknowledging how far the systems (speeds, size, etc) have developed beyond those of the 90s.

Adult material is not merely contained in a product anymore. Some products have the users inject adult content on their own. Take mmorpgs and chat for example. You have unknown adults mixing with unknown children talking about who knows what. People freaking out over items, politics, religion, etc in chat, etc, sounds like reddit at times. Phones are starting to get into that type of gaming while the companies only provide a click filter and report function to police chat. The latter of comes after the fact so damage is done.

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I am drawing a lot from my own experience with the internet in the 90s and applying it now while acknowledging how far the system have developed beyond those of the 90s.

Adult material is not merely contained in a product anymore. Some products have the users inject adult content on their own. Take mmorpgs and chat for example. You have unknown adults mixing with unknown children talking about who knows what. People freaking out over items, politics, religion, etc in chat, etc, sounds like reddit at times.

Well this from another recent article points out the dangers of not monitoring them, or in allowing such freedom:

After analysing the media habits of approximately 2,000 three to 15-year-olds across the UK, it found that 18 per cent of eight to 11-year-olds had a social media profile of their own despite the fact most social networks do not allow children under 13 to register.

Shad

Veteran Member
Well this from another recent article points out the dangers of not monitoring them, or in allowing such freedom:

After analysing the media habits of approximately 2,000 three to 15-year-olds across the UK, it found that 18 per cent of eight to 11-year-olds had a social media profile of their own despite the fact most social networks do not allow children under 13 to register.

Smartphones are a personal item so consider that. It is not like a PC that can be monitored as easily due to size and location. The parents must take the smartphone to review it. This causes a problem of attachment while not communicating the concept of ownership to the child. Hence why so many throw fits over losing access to a PC or smartphone. Toss in it becomes a major privacy issue.

Sites with age requirements rarely care as they face no criminal nor business related issues. The account is deleted, nothing more. The company get to keep whatever revenue gained from what is illegal contract. The ad companies do not care either as more users means a wider audience. The legality of specific accounts doesn't matter.