• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Internet Free Weekdays

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
In order to motivate myself to spend more time on my various interests; I've taken it upon myself to not play video games or surf the internet during weekdays. (Mondays to Thursdays). This past week alone, I was able to make notable progress in my study of Latin. I've also been doing far more reading, so much so that one night I read the entire Book of Deuteronomy (all 34 chapters) in a single sitting. It seems that without the distractions of video games and the internet my ability to focus improves dramatically.

I've also noticed an improvement in my general mental state. I feel a greater sense of satisfaction spending my evenings engaged in things actually worthwhile instead of what has heretofore been my usual pattern of compulsive internet use. This week, I hope to do some amateur astronomy provided that the weather gives me a clear night for it. In any case, I'll continue to work on my Latin and getting my French back up to snuff.

Since tomorrow is Monday I won't be able to respond to any activity that happens on this thread until next Friday. But I look forward to reporting on my progress as the weeks go by. I'm also surprised that the temptation to break my resolution was no where near as strong as I anticipated. And already seeing its fruits I doubt keeping to it will be at all difficult.

Anyway, it's nearly 23:10 on a Sunday night, so good bye for now.

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
In order to motivate myself to spend more time on my various interests; I've taken it upon myself to not play video games or surf the internet during weekdays. (Mondays to Thursdays). This past week alone, I was able to make notable progress in my study of Latin. I've also been doing far more reading, so much so that one night I read the entire Book of Deuteronomy (all 34 chapters) in a single sitting. It seems that without the distractions of video games and the internet my ability to focus improves dramatically.

I've also noticed an improvement in my general mental state. I feel a greater sense of satisfaction spending my evenings engaged in things actually worthwhile instead of what has heretofore been my usual pattern of compulsive internet use. This week, I hope to do some amateur astronomy provided that the weather gives me a clear night for it. In any case, I'll continue to work on my Latin and getting my French back up to snuff.

Since tomorrow is Monday I won't be able to respond to any activity that happens on this thread until next Friday. But I look forward to reporting on my progress as the weeks go by. I'm also surprised that the temptation to break my resolution was no where near as strong as I anticipated. And already seeing its fruits I doubt keeping to it will be at all difficult.

Anyway, it's nearly 23:10 on a Sunday night, so good bye for now.
I had internet on and off through my adult life... more commonly 'not'.

I have to say I felt more at ease without it. Like you mention, a lot more meaningful tasks were done.

On the other side of the coin, loneliness is a bigger struggle without it. We don't all have active social lives(at least, those who desire such).

Best of luck on your new venture, though! I hope the added time bring you peace and happiness!