• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Internalized Misogyny

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
This post is going to be more of a personal anecdote than some reasoned-out argument, but hopefully people can take a little bit from it.

When I was younger, I was a typical millennial emo/scene girl, and lately, I've started a music subscription that lets me just go get all the music I used to listen to and add it to my playlist.

So for instance, imagine my surprise when I'm enjoying listening to Glassjaw (for what, the first time in more than a decade?) and I'm just like "oh wow, that's misogynistic as hell."

It wasn't just Glassjaw with this problem, either: consider this link (Unraveling the Sexism of Emo’s Third Wave).

How did I miss this when I was younger, even when (at the time) I was singing along to it? (I'd have to double check the year this came out whether I was literally "singing" or not, but that is beside the point).

Is being blind to misogyny the same as internalized misogyny? What do you think? Am I reading too much into missing something when I was an angsty teen or 20-something?