• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Intermediaries, Job, Israelites, and Christians

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
some christians believe you need a mediator but Job, Jesus, Elijah, Elisha, Jonah, Moses all didn't have one.

the people of Israel chose not to have direct contact but chose Moses as their mediator.

so really is there a need for one?

MNoBody

didn't the prophet scold Israel for desiring a king in the first place, and for enumerating the people..... so they wound up with a Saul as the Soul of the nation, and look how that turned out ....oy veyo_O

some christians believe you need a mediator but Job, Jesus, Elijah, Elisha, Jonah, Moses all didn't have one.

the people of Israel chose not to have direct contact but chose Moses as their mediator.

To me Jesus is like defense attorney. In the judgment day, I think it is good to have a good attorney, if one is not very good at defending oneself in front of inescapable truth. Especially if the accuser is Satan.

The great dragon was thrown down, the old serpent, he who is called the devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world. He was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him. I heard a loud voice in heaven, saying, "Now is come the salvation, the power, and the Kingdom of our God, and the authority of his Christ; for the accuser of our brothers has been thrown down, who accuses them before our God day and night.
Revelation 12:9-10

For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,
1 Timothy 2:5

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
To me Jesus is like defense attorney. In the judgment day, I think it is good to have a good attorney, if one is not very good at defending oneself in front of inescapable truth. Especially if the accuser is Satan.

The great dragon was thrown down, the old serpent, he who is called the devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world. He was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him. I heard a loud voice in heaven, saying, "Now is come the salvation, the power, and the Kingdom of our God, and the authority of his Christ; for the accuser of our brothers has been thrown down, who accuses them before our God day and night.
Revelation 12:9-10

For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,
1 Timothy 2:5
i hate to be the bearer of bad news but jesus accuses some of the churches of improprieties, idolatry being one. he also accuses the pharisees and sadducees of wrongs.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

I just go straight to God. No Jesus or any other mediator necessry.

i hate to be the bearer of bad news but jesus accuses some of the churches of improprieties, idolatry being one. he also accuses the pharisees and sadducees of wrongs.

It is true that Jesus told the truth. However, it is also true that he defends those who admit the truth and regret, if they have done wrongly.

This is the judgment, that the light has come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the light; for their works were evil. For everyone who does evil hates the light, and doesn't come to the light, lest his works would be exposed. But he who does the truth comes to the light, that his works may be revealed, that they have been done in God."
John 3:19-21

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
It is true that Jesus told the truth. However, it is also true that he defends those who admit the truth and regret, if they have done wrongly.

This is the judgment, that the light has come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the light; for their works were evil. For everyone who does evil hates the light, and doesn't come to the light, lest his works would be exposed. But he who does the truth comes to the light, that his works may be revealed, that they have been done in God."
he gives them the opportunity to repent; otherwise.........

he gives them the opportunity to repent; otherwise.........

They will be judged. And why do you think they will be judged?

danieldemol

Premium Member
Your analogy seems to see God as being more like a prosecutor intent on prosecution than a merciful rehabilitator.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
They will be judged. And why do you think they will be judged?

because they hate love, hate god, themselves.

so with what they judge, they condemn the very thing they are

pearl

What you describe is close to John's description of the Paraclete.

Literally parakletos means "one called alongside," particularly one called to help in a legal situation: a defense attorney. A forensic or courtroom atmosphere can be seen in words like "Advocate" and "Counsellor," also used to translate parakletos. Actually there is a legal tone to some of what Jesus in John says about the Paraclete; yet the picture is more exactly that of a prosecuting attorney. Jesus is going to die on a cross—in the eyes of the world judged guilty and convicted. Yet after his death, the Paraclete will come and reverse the sentence by convicting the world and proving Jesus’ innocence (16:8-11). He will show that Jesus did not sin; rather the world sinned by not believing in him. He is the one who is just or righteous, as shown by the fact that he is not in the grave but with the Father. The judgment by his enemies in putting him to death did not defeat him; ironically it defeated his great adversary, the Satanic Prince of this world.
In a famous passage from the Old Testament Book of Job (19:25), Job knows that he will go to death judged guilty by all because of the sufferings visited on him; yet he knows that his vindicator lives, namely, the angel who will stand on his grave and show to all that he was innocent. That vindicating spirit has the role of a paraclete, and Jesus now looks for the Holy Spirit as his Paraclete.

excerpts from 'The Gift of John's Gospel'

Skywalker

Was Moses a priest?

But is your God a merciful judge looking to rehabilitate the offender or just looking for any excuse to condemn the alleged offender?

I think God is merciful, after all, He sent Jesus so to declare the forgiveness. If people don’t accept it and want evil, I can understand if God doesn’t give eternal life for them. And I don’t think it is bad.

danieldemol

Premium Member
I think God is merciful, after all, He sent Jesus so to declare the forgiveness. If people don’t accept it and want evil, I can understand if God doesn’t give eternal life for them. And I don’t think it is bad.
Its strange that you think having the intellectual courage to acknowledge the truth left by God in the fossil record is to "want evil".

danieldemol

Premium Member
God is love, but He is also just. Even the most fair judge has to punish someone who committed a crime.
This is actually due to human need, you see there are things humans can't safely rehabilitate offenders for release back to human society for, but it would be strange to attribute such impotence to your God.

Even human judges can release mental patients that are safely rehabilitated due to medication.