• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interfering with 'another person's faith'?

Should you avoid interfering with another person's faith?

• It depends how you go about it

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • You should never do so, better to avoid conflict

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • You should always feel free to express your own viewpoints, no matter

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Different, namely ....

Votes: 6 35.3%

• Total voters

nPeace

Veteran Member
I believe that each one of us, no matter what religious belief we holds would gain wisdom by looking at what spiritual leaders like Jesus, Muhammad, Buddha Sakyamuni, and so on was actually doing ( of course now we only have the scriptures, but still we can understand that being one who not judge others is better than judging,
I also know that some people in RF see me as one who judge others, and even if i can not see it right away, i do sometimes understand that even i do not try or want to judge other, it still happens.

So both asking one self and asking others (taking teaching of others) can help our own spiritual journey :)
We get on each other's bad side from time to time.
We cannot avoid that, but that cry, "Don't judge." is a guilt trip people try to lay on others, so that they can sit in their comfort zone... imo. :innocent:

Actually, when you really give it some serious though, it's really their way of judging you, because by accusing you of judging, are they not judging you?

I don't allow anyone to lay that guilt trip on me, because I understand what Jesus is saying.
Just read the entire chapter, and you will see...
Why would Jesus say what he did in verse 6... “Do not give what is holy to dogs nor throw your pearls before swine, so that they may never trample them under their feet and turn around and rip you open.

Dogs and swine? Jesus was not referring to literal animals. So of coure, in order not to throw precious spiritual treasures to people who display behaviors like these animals, would we not have to judge their character?

So, Jesus was not saying, one cannot judge another's character, or behavior, but rather one should not be looking for faults in others.
However, if one sees individuals displaying certain behaviors, we should be able to identify their character.
(Matthew 7:15-23)
15 “Be on the watch for the false prophets who come to you in sheep’s covering, but inside they are ravenous wolves. 16By their fruits you will recognize them. Never do people gather grapes from thorns or figs from thistles, do they? 17 Likewise, every good tree produces fine fruit, but every rotten tree produces worthless fruit. 18A good tree cannot bear worthless fruit, nor can a rotten tree produce fine fruit. 19 Every tree not producing fine fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Really, then, by their fruits you will recognize those men. 21“Not everyone saying to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter into the Kingdom of the heavens, but only the one doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens will. 22 Many will say to me in that day: ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and expel demons in your name, and perform many powerful works in your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them: ‘I never knew you! Get away from me, you workers of lawlessness!

What do you think?
Isn't that reasonable?
Don't you have to identify the behavior of people, in order to determine if they would be a good associate for you or your children?
Would you just marry anyone, or would you look at how the person behaves - their character?
Don't you have to make a judgment?

The issue is with looking for faults.
That's why Jesus used the example of the straw, verses the log.
One has to examine closely, in order to see a straw in someone's eye. A log though, you can't miss.
So don't look for little things to judge people on... and some things can be overlooked.

Notice Jesus also said, 'Not everyone who says Lord, Lord, but the one doing the will of the father.' and he refers to the former as lawless workers.
Does that not tell us, we need to identify those ones, and does that not require making a judgment?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
We get on each other's bad side from time to time.
We cannot avoid that, but that cry, "Don't judge." is a guilt trip people try to lay on others, so that they can sit in their comfort zone... imo. :innocent:

Actually, when you really give it some serious though, it's really their way of judging you, because by accusing you of judging, are they not judging you?

I don't allow anyone to lay that guilt trip on me, because I understand what Jesus is saying.
Just read the entire chapter, and you will see...
Why would Jesus say what he did in verse 6... “Do not give what is holy to dogs nor throw your pearls before swine, so that they may never trample them under their feet and turn around and rip you open.

Dogs and swine? Jesus was not referring to literal animals. So of coure, in order not to throw precious spiritual treasures to people who display behaviors like these animals, would we not have to judge their character?

So, Jesus was not saying, one cannot judge another's character, or behavior, but rather one should not be looking for faults in others.
However, if one sees individuals displaying certain behaviors, we should be able to identify their character.
(Matthew 7:15-23)
15 “Be on the watch for the false prophets who come to you in sheep’s covering, but inside they are ravenous wolves. 16By their fruits you will recognize them. Never do people gather grapes from thorns or figs from thistles, do they? 17 Likewise, every good tree produces fine fruit, but every rotten tree produces worthless fruit. 18A good tree cannot bear worthless fruit, nor can a rotten tree produce fine fruit. 19 Every tree not producing fine fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Really, then, by their fruits you will recognize those men. 21“Not everyone saying to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter into the Kingdom of the heavens, but only the one doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens will. 22 Many will say to me in that day: ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and expel demons in your name, and perform many powerful works in your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them: ‘I never knew you! Get away from me, you workers of lawlessness!

What do you think?
Isn't that reasonable?
Don't you have to identify the behavior of people, in order to determine if they would be a good associate for you or your children?
Would you just marry anyone, or would you look at how the person behaves - their character?
Don't you have to make a judgment?

The issue is with looking for faults.
That's why Jesus used the example of the straw, verses the log.
One has to examine closely, in order to see a straw in someone's eye. A log though, you can't miss.
So don't look for little things to judge people on... and some things can be overlooked.

Notice Jesus also said, 'Not everyone who says Lord, Lord, but the one doing the will of the father.' and he refers to the former as lawless workers.
Does that not tell us, we need to identify those ones, and does that not require making a judgment?
I try to avoid using the word judgment or judging others.

I do look at others action, speech and how they thinking. but i try not to put them up against the sufi teaching or my own way of life, because first of all their background is different than mine, so they will view the world differently than i do.
As of how my life is now i honestly do not look for a wife or a Girlfriend :) I am more happy with how i live alone than when i was in a relationship. So for time being i desided to stay single. so looking or waiting for someone is not my thing now :)

nPeace

Veteran Member
I try to avoid using the word judgment or judging others.

I do look at others action, speech and how they thinking. but i try not to put them up against the sufi teaching or my own way of life, because first of all their background is different than mine, so they will view the world differently than i do.
As of how my life is now i honestly do not look for a wife or a Girlfriend :) I am more happy with how i live alone than when i was in a relationship. So for time being i desided to stay single. so looking or waiting for someone is not my thing now :)
Okay, you see a man sneaking around in your yard. Would you call the police?
Since you don't use the word judgement, what do you call the decision you made? Or what was that decision based on?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Okay, you see a man sneaking around in your yard. Would you call the police?
Since you don't use the word judgement, what do you call the decision you made? Or what was that decision based on?
If someone was in my garden i would go out, asking if they were looking for something. No need to call Police at that moment.

I call it a decision.

nPeace

Veteran Member
If someone was in my garden i would go out, asking if they were looking for something. No need to call Police at that moment.

I call it a decision.
Thank you.
That's exactly what we are doing - making decisions.
Decisions on what we do, and or accept or don't accept.
You made a judgment.

Decision
noun
  1. a conclusion or resolution reached after consideration.

Similar:
    resolution; conclusion; settlement; commitment; resolve; determination; option; selection; verdict; finding; ruling; recommendation; judgment; pronouncement; adjudgment; adjudication; arbitration
    • the action or process of deciding something or of resolving a question.
    • a formal judgment.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Thank you.
That's exactly what we are doing - making decisions.
Decisions on what we do, and or accept or don't accept.
You made a judgment.

Decision
noun
  1. a conclusion or resolution reached after consideration.

Similar:
    resolution; conclusion; settlement; commitment; resolve; determination; option; selection; verdict; finding; ruling; recommendation; judgment; pronouncement; adjudgment; adjudication; arbitration
    • the action or process of deciding something or of resolving a question.
    • a formal judgment.
I leave it to othets to call it an judgement:) i do not call it as such.

Clara Tea

In my contact with active Christians I sometimes feel like I must control my tongue in that I cannot be too enthustiastic about 'my' Jesus and His teachings out of fear that they will see me as indirectly criticizing their specific religious way

The Christian bible says to proselytize (spread the word of God). Crusaders took that to mean killing infidels (and so do some members other religions, including the "peaceful" Muslim religion).

One purpose of a religious forum is to share ideas (not tell people that they are wrong). However, when people go against their own God and sell out their core principles, I think that it is fine to remind them. For example, God said "thou shalt not kill" and we are within our bounds, as Christians, and duty bound as Christians and Americans, to point out that unfounded wars against nations not involved in terrorism are not Christian acts.

Is that being judgemental? Well, if we don't judge our own actions, we run the risk of following the temptations of Satan....temptations of greed, murder, and environmental damage, not to mention damaging our souls by following the wrong God or wrong political leader. We must judge to avoid Satan (though God warned us not to judge).