• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interfaith versus Comparative Religion

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
It seems to me that there is some confusion between these two ideas. I think sometimes people think that interfaith is comparative religion, or at least comparing religions is an essential part of interfaith.

For me, interfaith is more like the United Nations, where individual groups work together for a common goal outside any of their beliefs. So it might be to reduce crime, or to provide charity, or help in an emergency. It's where we acknowledge each other as part of humanity. Nothing can destroy an interfaith meeting more than some person preaching their religion to the rest. Interfaith is more something from the heart.

Comparative religion, OTOH, is like a university class on it. It's where we pursue similarities, differences, contrasts, and all that, with debate even, where it's called for. It's very much an exercise of the intellect, or the brain.

So it the two concepts are overlapped, challenges can arise. A person might avoid interfaith altogether because they're not wanting to argue or debate, but that's because they don't understand what interfaith is.

Thoughts?

InvestigateTruth

It seems to me that there is some confusion between these two ideas. I think sometimes people think that interfaith is comparative religion, or at least comparing religions is an essential part of interfaith.

For me, interfaith is more like the United Nations, where individual groups work together for a common goal outside any of their beliefs. So it might be to reduce crime, or to provide charity, or help in an emergency. It's where we acknowledge each other as part of humanity. Nothing can destroy an interfaith meeting more than some person preaching their religion to the rest. Interfaith is more something from the heart.

Comparative religion, OTOH, is like a university class on it. It's where we pursue similarities, differences, contrasts, and all that, with debate even, where it's called for. It's very much an exercise of the intellect, or the brain.

So it the two concepts are overlapped, challenges can arise. A person might avoid interfaith altogether because they're not wanting to argue or debate, but that's because they don't understand what interfaith is.

Thoughts?
I agree mostly. Finally we agree on something!

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

Thoughts?

They also avoid interfaith discussions, because of antipathy or worse toward other churches and religions. Everyone does comparative religion, most often from their own egocentric perspective.

Last edited:

pearl

For me, interfaith is more like the United Nations, where individual groups work together for a common goal outside any of their beliefs.

I think its more that interfaith is a sharing of what beliefs they hold in common and through which they work for the common goal. Yes, comparative is more a study of differences.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I think its more that interfaith is a sharing of what beliefs they hold in common and through which they work for the common goal. Yes, comparative is more a study of differences.
Have you been on an interfaith council?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
University courses on comparative religion is like an intellectual exercise in comparing similarities and differences at the end of ten foot poles.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Thoughts?

I agree wholeheartedly on your views on 'interfaith.'

However, I see 'comparative religion' as more of something I spent a Sunday afternoon doing as I sat down with my daughter's pastor and we dissected our own views as well as each others and discussed their origins, their similarities, their differences, and the possibilities of the divergence of the paths. There was no debate or argument, but a comprehensive understanding of each others worldviews. It was one of the most fulfilling and enjoyable afternoons in my life.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

However, I see comparative religion as more of something I spent a Sunday afternoon doing as I sat down with my daughter's pastor and we dissected our own views as well as each others and discussed their origins, their similarities, their differences, and the possibilities of the divergence of the paths. There was no debate or argument, but a comprehensive understanding of each others worldviews. It was one of the most fulfilling and enjoyable afternoons in my life.
I do think comparative religion can be very civil, and useful.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

Thoughts?

I agree with all that is written here. An interfaith community or council is there to promote and safegaurd the interests of all religions. We promote better relationships between peoples of different faith groups. We often act in an advisory or supportive capacity to civic groups. One specific projects currently for our council are providing advice and support for our hospital rebuild team to have an interfaith space and not just a chapel in our new hospital. We were involved in the planning and participation of our cities prayer vigil to commemorate the victims of the mosque shootings. We provide representation from different faith communities to open our City Council meetings with a prayer or devotion.

We do have part of our meeting where each member may share a writing about a particular theme. We don't discuss or analyse each members contribution. We have meetings in each others community or faith centres. We hear from each host about their faith for about 10 minutes so we can learn more. There will be an opportunity for respectful questions, not debate. We completely avoid comparing or debating religion. There is no place for one faith community asserting their dominance or superiority over another or to undermine.

Shantanu

Thoughts?
One does need to understand all the faiths if one is going to make a significant difference to society as one's dharma, which transcends religion.

arthra

Baha'i
For me "Comparative Religion" has a more academic slant... Students study various religions and learn about them...

I've represented Baha'i Faith in an Interfaith Council in my town. We discuss issues of common interest and sometimes coordinate efforts in our community to assist refugees or provide emergency shelter for the homeless. So it all depends.

Some of us also represent our Faith at the Parliament of World Religions that's been meeting regularly since 1893 in various countries...

parliamentofreligions.org | Parliament of the World's Religions

You can learn more about their programs:

Our Programs | parliamentofreligions.org

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

However, I see 'comparative religion' as more of something I spent a Sunday afternoon doing as I sat down with my daughter's pastor and we dissected our own views as well as each others and discussed their origins, their similarities, their differences, and the possibilities of the divergence of the paths. There was no debate or argument, but a comprehensive understanding of each others worldviews. It was one of the most fulfilling and enjoyable afternoons in my life.
Yes. That's how I experience comparative religion. No animosity. Just a curious sharing of information. What tiny bit of debate there is, is only for the purpose of clarifying a point, never to convert. It really requires like-minded people.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Thoughts?
The place where they can overlap is where the interfaith activity is about creating greater understanding of each others religions (or other worldviews) within a community.