• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interfaith Thoughts Requested

Curious George

Veteran Member
Not at all. I don't believe in "revealed knowledge". All I have ever said is that actual experience provides a context for understanding a thing that does in fact illuminate an understanding that those who lack that cannot take advantage of. In other words, they are in a disadvantaged position. They are out-contextualized. I don't believe in "magic knowledge", as you may assume since I speak of God. Rest assured, that's not the anthropomorphic notion of God I am speaking of.
I think you likely have not gotten there yet, we are discussing reason vs. reason+. The experience that that is the addition here comes from where? You are putting forth assumption after assumption. If it is not revealed, then you cannot pronounce its absence in someone because there reason+ differs from your reason+.
No it's not. It's just simply stating the obvious. Ego only comes in when someone tries to exert their lack of experience as not a factor at all, rather than just taking the more humble position and say, "Yes, I can see my lack of experience is a factor." The one with experience doesn't need to prove anything to himself or others, and such accusations really smell of projection, assuming the other person is prideful, like themselves.
Methinks this is closer to denial now. Your statement very clearly indicated that x group had knowledge and y group did not, therefore x group can talk and y group has no place in the discussion.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think this is semantics, no offense. If you don't think there's a real division between self and other (IE: unity), it isn't dualism you believe in.
I believe there is a real division, and I believe there isn't. This is nonduality I am referring to, as opposed to monism. Nonduality does not deny duality, it is large enough to embrace it, but not limit itself to that perspective alone.

Non-dualism has different degrees and views approaching it as well.
Nonduality is a slippery word. Many take it to mean there is no separation, that all is absolutely One without distinction. That is actually monism, and there are many nondualist schools of thought which understand monism as a form of subtle-dualism. Nagarjuna pointed this out, as do many of the Buddhist schools of thought, such as in the Buddhist Dzogchen teachings.

However, maybe you'd mind expounding for me more what you mean by unity and dualism.
Sure. Based on what I just elaborated on above, rather than getting rid of dualism by creating another form of dualism, monism in this case, saying it is all One and not many (that's a dualism right there), Nonduality doesn't hold an absolute position to say it's one thing or the other. It allows for Emptiness to be not other than form, and form to be not other than Emptiness. Both are true. They are perceptual experiences of Reality.

So the point I was making is that within a dualistic reality, where I am distinct and different than you, Love, or Divine Love specifically holds these differences with Grace, without judgement. And within that Grace, there is Unity as opposed to anamostity or tension between seeming opposites. And it is within that Context or Container of Love, diversity is allowed to exist as it is, rather than reducing it down to no-distinction, that all is of the same substance and not separate. Love allows us to see that all is held within Love, or Emptiness, while being unique and distinct.

It's really not semantics, but an entire perceptual shift.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think you likely have not gotten there yet, we are discussing reason vs. reason+.
Only in your mind. I have only ever said in this thread that experience illuminates reason. Why is that not valid? You think reading about the ocean is the same thing as actually swimming in the ocean? Swimming in the ocean is not "reason+". I would never imagine such a thing. Experience is experience, and experience informs reason, not replace it. Experience has to have some way to talk about it to ourselves and others, and that's where reason enters the picture.

Are you imagining the only way to know truth is to reason it? Why even leave your house then? Just sit on the couch and read books all day, imaging you're at the ocean while you're in your living room. It's just as valid, right? There's nothing to be gained by actual experience? Do you believe this?

The experience that that is the addition here comes from where?
Where does any experience come from? From doing. That's a simple answer. ;)

You are putting forth assumption after assumption.
Only if I was speaking from nothing but my ideas without experience. There is no assumption as to my experiences. I know I have them.

If it is not revealed, then you cannot pronounce its absence in someone because there reason+ differs from your reason+.
Have you experienced God? If so, can you describe your experience to me? I won't assume anything about your experiences, other than you certainly have not introduced them to say "I have experience too." I certainly would factor that in if that were the case.

And BTW, having an experience of God is not a "revealed" knowledge, unless you wish to anthropomorphize it as something outside yourself. Experience involves you directly as the subject. It is not other or outside of you, just as riding a bicycle down a trail in the fall is not "revealed knowledge". That's just some mythological notion of God.

Methinks this is closer to denial now. Your statement very clearly indicated that x group had knowledge and y group did not, therefore x group can talk and y group has no place in the discussion.
I am saying this only: Someone who lacks experience is at a disadvantage to those who do. It's not saying they have "no place" in the discussion, but one has to be honest with themselves, rather than being in denial that it doesn't matter. It does matter. You think I could talk authoritatively with a long-distance marathon runner when my only experience is mall-walking and reading Runners magazine?

Last edited:

Curious George

Veteran Member
Only in your mind. I have only ever said in this thread that experience illuminates reason. Why is that not valid? You think reading about the ocean is the same thing as actually swimming in the ocean? Swimming in the ocean is not "reason+". I would never imagine such a thing. Experience is experience, and experience informs reason, not replace it. Experience has to have some way to talk about it to ourselves and others, and that's where reason enters the picture.
Experience serves as the plus in this situation. You are describing what I said but still you disagree. Perhaps you are blinding yourself to reason.
Are you imagining the only way to know truth is to reason it? Why even leave your house then? Just sit on the couch and read books all day, imaging you're at the ocean while you're in your living room. It's just as valid, right? There's nothing to be gained by actual experience? Do you believe this?

Where does any experience come from? From doing. That's a simple answer. ;)
And what does one do to gain "spiritual" experience?
Only if I was speaking from nothing but my ideas without experience. There is no assumption as to my experiences. I know I have them.
Your assumptions were not that you have experiences.
Have you experienced God? If so, can you describe your experience to me? I won't assume anything about your experiences, other than you certainly have introduced them to say "I have experience too." I certainly would factor that in if that were the case.
Do you mean to use the pass code to get into the club so I could weigh in on the discussion?
And BTW, having an experience of God is not a "revealed" knowledge, unless you wish to anthropomorphize it as something outside yourself. Experience involves you directly as the subject. It is not other or outside of you, just as riding a bicycle down a trail in the fall is not "revealed knowledge". That's just some mythological notion of God.
No but all experience involves more than just you as the subject.[/quote]

I am say this only. Someone who lacks experience is a disadvantage to those who do. It's not say they have no place in the discussion, but one has to be honest with themselves, rather than being in denial that it doesn't matter. It does matter. You think I could talk shop with a long-distance marathon runner when my only experience is mall-walking?[/QUOTE] If the marathon runner made the claims that were inherently contradictory? Sure. We all come to the table with experience. That your experience is different than Sally's doesn't mean Sally ought not weigh in.

socharlie

My love of this Bible verse came up today in another thread. It is certainly one of my favorite verses of all time, if not my most favorite--and I think it applies across religions, even those that may not necessarily recognize a deity in the traditional sense. I would very much be interested to hear how it resonates with everyone else.

"But the spiritual man tries all things [he examines, investigates, inquires into, questions, and discerns all things], yet is himself to be put on trial and judged by no one [he can read the meaning of everything, but no one can properly discern or appraise or get an insight into him]."
--1 Corinthians 2:15 (Amplified Bible)

I don't want to say too much about it myself, at this point, but I do want to make it clear that I don't think that it literally means to "try" everything, like heroin and bestiality and whatever else--but to put everything on trial, evaluate everything for yourself.

I'm listening...
previous verse 14:
14But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised. 15But he who is spiritual appraises all things, yet he himself is appraised by no one."
Creates a contrast for the verse in question.

"Human beings were created by the Craftsman. In addition to a physical body, Valentinians believed that people were composed of three non-corporeal elements: a demonic part (chous), a rational soul (psyche), and a spiritual seed (pneuma). Human beings were divided into three types depending on which of the three natures is dominant within them. That is why Adam and Eve are described as having had three children who they named Cain, Abel and Seth. They are the prototypes of carnal (choic), animate (psychic) and spiritual (pneumatic) human beings respectively. "
Brief Summary of Valentinian Theology - Valentinus and the Valentinian Tradition
Very important to understand that Paul wrights to both types of members in his churches with distinction of their reflection of God - natural or spiritual. In modern church they do not separate messages and that is why Paul is not understood.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Experience serves as the plus in this situation.
So we're clear, it's not a plus-type of reason, like reason on crack or something. It's context of actual experience, like someone who talks about what life is like living by the ocean, who has actually lived by the ocean versus someone who thinks about what it is like, an expert on books about the ocean not having actually visited the ocean. It's reason, plus context of actual experience. That I'll grant.

You are describing what I said but still you disagree. Perhaps you are blinding yourself to reason.
You would be wrong about that, making assumptions. I very much embrace reason, but I recognize, rationally, that that is not the end all be all that many wish it were. That's an old conversation that long ago was shown to be lacking, but is only gaining momentum in popular discourse trying to find a savior in logical positivism, adopted by many fleeing the custricutres of religion in the form of neo-atheism. Not that that's a bad thing necessarily, but a very limited, very partial perspective.

And what does one do to gain "spiritual" experience?
Now that's an actual question. :) In one word or less, start with meditation. See where that goes. There is of course many forms that takes. Try not thinking about the world and simply absorb it without judgment. I could devote an entire book to this question, but in the end, it's simply allowing what IS, to inform you of itself without us jamming our own ideas and thoughts into it, including in particular all our theories and philosophies, and, our theologies. I like how Meister Eckhart expressed this, "I pray God make me free of God that I may know God is his unconditioned being". God beyond God, is how he spoke of this, beyond any and all ideas we hold in mind.

Do you mean to use the pass code to get into the club so I could weigh in on the discussion?
I never said that. You can of course share your thoughts, but when considering all factors, experience will be considered along with everything else. Your thoughts do have value. Very much so. But what do you have to offer from personal experience, is also a consideration, naturally, as is with anything else in any discussion about anything.

No but all experience involves more than just you as the subject.
True. To be considered anything other than fanciful musings, or at worst delusion, one has to weigh them against other's experiences. This is of course, a scientific approach, validating by peer review, as it were. This is not uncommon at all in Buddhist circles regarding claims of Enlightment.

If the marathon runner made the claims that were inherently contradictory? Sure. We all come to the table with experience. That your experience is different than Sally's doesn't mean Sally ought not weigh in.
This is true, but weighing all things in a balance is only prudent, and wise.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
My love of this Bible verse came up today in another thread. It is certainly one of my favorite verses of all time, if not my most favorite--and I think it applies across religions, even those that may not necessarily recognize a deity in the traditional sense. I would very much be interested to hear how it resonates with everyone else.

"But the spiritual man tries all things [he examines, investigates, inquires into, questions, and discerns all things], yet is himself to be put on trial and judged by no one [he can read the meaning of everything, but no one can properly discern or appraise or get an insight into him]."

I don't want to say too much about it myself, at this point, but I do want to make it clear that I don't think that it literally means to "try" everything, like heroin and bestiality and whatever else--but to put everything on trial, evaluate everything for yourself.

I'm listening...

Spiritual Realities can be found in all things, if we are looking with the eyes focused on God.

We are judged on our motive for the search and we can judge no other on their motive for their search. No matter how hard we look, we will not find the Essence of God, we can only come to know the giver of the Attributes and that is Gods Messengers.

I think this passage offers a meditation applicable to that Biblical Passage;

"The knowledge of the Reality of the Divinity is impossible and unattainable, but the knowledge of the Manifestations of God is the knowledge of God, for the bounties, splendors, and divine attributes are apparent in them. Therefore if man attains to the knowledge of the Manifestations of God, he will attain to the knowledge of God; and if he be neglectful of the knowledge of the Holy Manifestation, he will be bereft of the knowledge of God. It is then ascertained and proved that the Holy Manifestations are the center of the bounty, signs, and perfections of God. Blessed are those who receive the light of the divine bounties from the enlightened Dawning-points!
We hope that the friends of God, like an attractive force, will draw these bounties from the source itself, and that they will arise with such illumination and signs that they will be evident proofs of the Sun of Reality." Abdu'l-Baha : Baha'i World Faith - Abdu'l-Baha Section

"Regarding the "two wings" of the soul: These signify wings of ascent. One is the wing of knowledge, the other of faith, as this is the means of the ascent of the human soul to the lofty station of divine perfections." Abdu'l-Baha : Baha'i World Faith - Abdu'l-Baha Section

Regards Tony

Shadow Link

I'm listening...

I think the profound difference in the Christian understanding of what is natural man vs. what is spiritual man would be that the natural man lacks an understanding of Grace. He(natural man) rejects Grace as weakness and can't foresee its strength.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

I'm listening...
There are points in my life where I have looked at myself and realized that I have been completely wrong, despite my efforts to be right. My efforts are not enough, and my eyes are not enough. This author of 1 Corinthians is drawing upon much older lessons about the inner being probably drawn from Genesis 1 2 3. Each of us is like a world created by the word. Before that word comes we are darkness and void, unformed. The spirit searches and reveals our inner parts with its light, and ignorance and wisdom are separated, good and evil and in this process is the creation of a new spiritual creature out of darkness (symbolized by the red clay) and not just a creature but a creature with a god's power of choosing. All the parts of us are identified, some of the deep and the darkness and some of the air and the light. This is probably what the author is drawing from but not directly commenting on.

Proverbs 20:27 "The spirit of man the candle of the LORD, searching all the inward parts of the belly.(KJV)"

The word 'Searching' is not really getting across what its saying. Light not only searches but destroys, and it is talking about that kind of searching, like fire searches and like heat melts ice. The word 'Belly' is there, because it is talking about separating the meat and fat in a sacrifice. You know how belly fat is a mixture of fat and meat? Everything is about separating, choosing, revealing what is good or bad in you. The author is drawing upon both the above and the understanding of the Logos which comes in and dwells. I also suggest considering Windwalkers point about context.

I think what this author is doing is taking all the above into consideration and saying that the person must also be light that lamp in the world, searching out, identifying and separating and creating.

Curious George

Veteran Member
So we're clear, it's not a plus-type of reason, like reason on crack or something. It's context of actual experience, like someone who talks about what life is like living by the ocean, who has actually lived by the ocean versus someone who thinks about what it is like, an expert on books about the ocean not having actually visited the ocean. It's reason, plus context of actual experience. That I'll grant.
Reason+ is just that. Reason plus something. Your claim here is experience and that is fine. It is still reason+.
You would be wrong about that, making assumptions. I very much embrace reason, but I recognize, rationally, that that is not the end all be all that many wish it were. That's an old conversation that long ago was shown to be lacking, but is only gaining momentum in popular discourse trying to find a savior in logical positivism, adopted by many fleeing the custricutres of religion in the form of neo-atheism. Not that that's a bad thing necessarily, but a very limited, very partial perspective.
It seems to me that asserting some other's perspective is partial is, without any other acknowledgement, an attempt to suggest ones own perspective is more complete
Now that's an actual question. :) In one word or less, start with meditation. See where that goes. There is of course many forms that takes. Try not thinking about the world and simply absorb it without judgment. I could devote an entire book to this question, but in the end, it's simply allowing what IS, to inform you of itself without us jamming our own ideas and thoughts into it, including in particular all our theories and philosophies, and, our theologies. I like how Meister Eckhart expressed this, "I pray God make me free of God that I may know God is his unconditioned being". God beyond God, is how he spoke of this, beyond any and all ideas we hold in mind.
Interesting. And to those who have done this and there illuminated reason has reached very different conclusions than yours?
I never said that. You can of course share your thoughts, but when considering all factors, experience will be considered along with everything else. Your thoughts do have value. Very much so. But what do you have to offer from personal experience, is also a consideration, naturally, as is with anything else in any discussion about anything.

True. To be considered anything other than fanciful musings, or at worst delusion, one has to weigh them against other's experiences. This is of course, a scientific approach, validating by peer review, as it were. This is not uncommon at all in Buddhist circles regarding claims of Enlightment.

This is true, but weighing all things in a balance is only prudent, and wise.
Yet you did suggest that those without your personal experience should not weigh in. You have noted that it is possible for a person to be limited without certain experiences. Yet, this assumes wrongly that everyone would be so limited. Further it assumes that because you could not reach correct conclusions about the topic without the experience, that others too could not. These are assumptions. Consider rereading your first couple posts after some temporal distance and reflecting.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know. I find the black and white thinking of the Abrahamic ultimately lacking.
It cannot grasp nuances, it has a hard time adapting to new information. In short I find it kind of arrogant. Like it has already learnt everything and therefore doesn't need to trifle itself with looking at a different point of view.

A spiritual man (however one wishes to define that) doesn't have to lack self judgement like the scenario suggests.
They can of course wall themselves off to those around them. I mean a lot of Gurus are rather aloof and enigmatic.
But just a random person trying to find something that appeals to their spiritual side. It's not an either or thing.
Some people find inner peace, some find ways to scam others, some are judged poorly by their peers, others enjoy prestige.
A person seeking to experience the divine often is judged.
How that person is judged and how accurate depends on many factors. As for God's judgement of said person, well that's between that person and God.

socharlie

I think the profound difference in the Christian understanding of what is natural man vs. what is spiritual man would be that the natural man lacks an understanding of Grace. He(natural man) rejects Grace as weakness and can't foresee its strength.
Profound difference is that spiritual man receive knowledge directly entering spiritual world while soul (natural) man is not able to enter spiritual world and receives knowledge from others. Greek uses two different words for those knowledge - gnosis and eidon.

idea

Question Everything
But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man...

On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly. - the little prince

We can only see and judge clearly when our own heart is clean, and there are no motes within our eyes. Any unresolved darkness within us will cloud our vision, make us defensive - we will make unjust judgement against our neighbor when we see them through a glass darkly... but if the glass is clear, if no one has anything against us - if we are innocent of all and can be judged of no man, that is when we see clearly what is around us.

"A true spiritual teacher does not have anything to teach in the conventional sense of the word, does not have anything to give or add to you, such as new information, beliefs, or rules of conduct. The only function of such a teacher is to help you remove that which separates you from the truth ... The words are no more than signposts."- Tolle

Last edited:

Dantedeven

"But the spiritual man tries all things [he examines, investigates, inquires into, questions, and discerns all things], yet is himself to be put on trial and judged by no one [he can read the meaning of everything, but no one can properly discern or appraise or get an insight into him]." --1 Corinthians 2:15 (Amplified Bible)

Wow this is amazing.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Reason+ is just that. Reason plus something. Your claim here is experience and that is fine. It is still reason+.
You could just as arbitrarily call reason, Experience+, but that's sort of silly. Reason and experience are two different, yet complementary things to each other. But if you wish to elevate reason above all else putting it in the driver's seat, saying everything else in an addition to that, you kind of make my point in all of this. I think a good term for that would be Reason Absolutism, that all else is subservient or complementary to that primary position. I cannot agree with that, with good reason. ;)

It seems to me that asserting some other's perspective is partial is, without any other acknowledgement, an attempt to suggest ones own perspective is more complete
All perspectives are partial. However, there is in fact nothing wrong in saying that one perspective is in fact more aware, or more inclusive, or more complete than another. That's common sense actually. Is a child's perspective of world affairs as encompassing as an adult who has a whole lot more experience in life than they do?

I want to stress in here in case your thinking goes there, not once have I, or would suggest that any perspective of anyone is absolute. I know there is a tendency in many coming out of religion to think in black and white terms like that, even when they have jettisoned the idea of the guy-in-the-sky version of God. I on the other hand think in terms of weighted scales of relative truth and value, not binary systems of thought where one must be false if the other is true.

Interesting. And to those who have done this and there illuminated reason has reached very different conclusions than yours?
That is a fantastic question, and one which would take some explanation. First, I would say that you have to look at mystical experiences as fitting into different categories. There are in fact different types of mystical experiences which bear certain common features between them. For instance, many schools recognize anywhere from 4 to 7, or sometime more distinct types of experience, such as psychic, subtle, causal, and nondual experiences. Within each of these general types, the content of the experience may be vary, yet the nature of them is the same.

For instance, a subtle-level mystical experience can be characterized as deity-mysticism (as distinct from nature mysticism). One may experience Light everywhere, or visions of deities, saints, bodhistativations, and so forth. The actual content will be a factor of personal and cultural exposure. Someone from a Christian culture and background will likely see Jesus or Mary, while someone from a Hindu culture will see Krishna, or a Buddhist see a thousand-armed avalokiteshvara. Now while that may seem like a contradiction in the minds of some so-called "skeptic" it isn't at all. It's still the same type of experience, just translated, interpreted, and the content supplied with different symbols.

Think of this in terms of the use of language. The words are not the same from culture to culture, but the use and function of language itself is common. If you see that "water" in English, while "Su" in Turkish are very different words, if you look past the words that are used to what they are both pointing to, it's the exact same substance. Symbols are just that.

Now, deepen this another crucial step further. Within any given culture, people operated within different developmental stages of life, and each of these stages entail very different, and distinct modes of thought itself. These serve us a interpretative structures. When someone has an experience of something, their minds go to these interpretative structures to help translate experience into something the mind can hold and look at. Again, language. In developmental theory you can see mapped out in different lines of development, such as cognitive development structures; sensorimotor, preoperational, concrete operational, formal operational, etc. Another map of these structures laid out by Gebser details stages seen in each individual and in culture at large over history moving from; archaic, to magic, to mythic, to rational, to pluaristic, to integral, etc. There is a considerable wealth of information available to research that details all this far more than I'm doing here.

So, in answer to your question, not only do you have to distinguish between the type of mystical experience itself, you also have to look at the interpretative framework which is the baseline mode of thinking itself being used to describe what that was to that person. Someone having a subtle level experience, in a Christian culture, sees Jesus. That's part one. Part two is person A is at the mythic-literal stage (Stage 3) of development (see Jame's Fowler's research for more details), and person B is at the Conjunctive Faith stage (Stage 5). Both have the same mystical experience, as these experiences are NOT dependent on developmental stages but available to anyone at any stage of development.

Person A who sees truth and meaning as fused and inseparable from the symbol representing them, i.e., Jesus on the cross means forgiveness, this person likely will take this as absolute confirmation of the validity of his beliefs. He literally saw Jesus, in his mind, because his mode of thinking itself thinks in these very concrete, literal modes of thought, incapable yet of decoupling meaning from the symbol. Person B at stage 5 faith has a much larger container within which to interpret and translate their experience from. Stage 4 faith, according to Fowler's research is where the meaning and the symbol can be separated, seeing the same meaning found in other systems of belief and other symbols. Then later in development Stage 5 faith can then find that truth and meaning that was found earlier in life in their native religion's system, but with a vastly more mature understanding, realizing that how this manifests itself to their minds is simple relative to their culture, yet meaningful on a deep level nonetheless. To them, such a mystical experience is seen as a "finger pointing to the moon" but not the moon itself, whereas to the literalist the finger and the moon are the same thing and there can be only one finger pointing, because it is the finger held in their minds.

This just scratches the surface on your question, and it should become fairly obvious that to say, "Because they say something different, because it contradicts what someone else says, none of it is reliable." Well, no. It's just a little more complex than dealing with plotting out how planetary bodies orbit the sun in annual cycles. :) The truth and commonality is still there, but patterning it out within highly complex systems, such as I touched on, is a whole different level than black and white, true/false propositions. This type of approach borders more into a type of art, as it were, where like the theoretical physicist, the artist too finds patterns in the apparent chaos. There are patterns there, and these have been and are being researched.

Yet you did suggest that those without your personal experience should not weigh in. You have noted that it is possible for a person to be limited without certain experiences. Yet, this assumes wrongly that everyone would be so limited. Further it assumes that because you could not reach correct conclusions about the topic without the experience, that others too could not. These are assumptions. Consider rereading your first couple posts after some temporal distance and reflecting.
I did as you suggested, and just now went back and looked at my original statement, and reviewed my words and thinking at the time. Here were my words:

"As far as others not be qualified to judge the person who is Aware of the things of the Spirit, this too makes sense of course. They lack the necessary Context in order to see and understand where that other person comes from, they lack the context of experience."
The operative point were the words bolded above. This has nothing to do with saying you or others cannot enter into the discussion, but it does say that when someone says things like "none of it is real since God doesn't exist", they are making pronouncements about something they have no experience or expertise in. I then compared that to Creationists who dismiss evolution, while lacking any valid credentials. Do you think they have a seat at the table to weigh in on the "controversy" about evolution, already concluding what they already believe?

Yes, join the conversation, contribute, listen, share, and learn. But when it comes to anyone making pronouncements that dismiss those who are the more qualified to talk about the topic because they have actual experience with it, well.... I think my point stands. Wouldn't you agree with that? Do you think the non-scientistic has earned the right to say evolution is wrong because it doesn't agree with how they think about how life came to be on this planet?

Curious George

Veteran Member
You could just as arbitrarily call reason, Experience+, but that's sort of silly. Reason and experience are two different, yet complementary things to each other. But if you wish to elevate reason above all else putting it in the driver's seat, saying everything else in an addition to that, you kind of make my point in all of this. I think a good term for that would be Reason Absolutism, that all else is subservient or complementary to that primary position. I cannot agree with that, with good reason. ;)
I see your point that this is in some sense elevating reason. I disagree that the purpose is arbitrary. We are discussing ones understanding for which reason is paramount. If we were discussing ones sensation then experience would be paramount.
All perspectives are partial. However, there is in fact nothing wrong in saying that one perspective is in fact more aware, or more inclusive, or more complete than another. That's common sense actually. Is a child's perspective of world affairs as encompassing as an adult who has a whole lot more experience in life than they do?
It is neither necessarily so nor not so. But I would not find myself telling a child that they have no right to weigh in.

That is a fantastic question, and one which would take some explanation...

So, in answer to your question, not only do you have to distinguish between the type of mystical experience itself, you also have to look at the interpretative framework which is the baseline mode of thinking itself being used to describe what that was to that person. Someone having a subtle level experience, in a Christian culture, sees Jesus. That's part one. Part two is person A is at the mythic-literal stage (Stage 3) of development (see Jame's Fowler's research for more details), and person B is at the Conjunctive Faith stage (Stage 5). Both have the same mystical experience, as these experiences are NOT dependent on developmental stages but available to anyone at any stage of development.

Person A who sees truth and meaning as fused and inseparable from the symbol representing them, i.e., Jesus on the cross means forgiveness, this person likely will take this as absolute confirmation of the validity of his beliefs. He literally saw Jesus, in his mind, because his mode of thinking itself thinks in these very concrete, literal modes of thought, incapable yet of decoupling meaning from the symbol. Person B at stage 5 faith has a much larger container within which to interpret and translate their experience from. Stage 4 faith, according to Fowler's research is where the meaning and the symbol can be separated, seeing the same meaning found in other systems of belief and other symbols. Then later in development Stage 5 faith can then find that truth and meaning that was found earlier in life in their native religion's system, but with a vastly more mature understanding, .

This just scratches the surface on your question, and it should become fairly obvious that to say, "Because they say something different, because it contradicts what someone else says, none of it is reliable." Well, no. It's just a little more complex than dealing with plotting out how planetary bodies orbit the sun in annual cycles.
Sure, and let us add a seventh stage to Fowler's work beyond universalizing. We can call it conceptualizing. In this stage of faith a person gains the ability to understand the how's and why's of people's reflections and interpretations in the previous stages of faith.
I did as you suggested, and just now went back and looked at my original statement, and reviewed my words and thinking at the time. Here were my words:

"As far as others not be qualified to judge the person who is Aware of the things of the Spirit, this too makes sense of course. They lack the necessary Context in order to see and understand where that other person comes from, they lack the context of experience."
The operative point were the words bolded above. This has nothing to do with saying you or others cannot enter into the discussion, but it does say that when someone says things like "none of it is real since God doesn't exist", they are making pronouncements about something they have no experience or expertise in. I then compared that to Creationists who dismiss evolution, while lacking any valid credentials. Do you think they have a seat at the table to weigh in on the "controversy" about evolution, already concluding what they already believe?

Yes, join the conversation, contribute, listen, share, and learn. But when it comes to anyone making pronouncements that dismiss those who are the more qualified to talk about the topic because they have actual experience with it, well.... I think my point stands. Wouldn't you agree with that? Do you think the non-scientistic has earned the right to say evolution is wrong because it doesn't agree with how they think about how life came to be on this planet?
Yet somehow you stopped short of this quote

You are at the heart of what you are saying trying to disqualify some because you believe they lack what you possess.

If there reasoning is wrong, by all means show that it is wrong. I would have no trouble showing that a person disbelieving in evolution is wrong. Whether or not they accepted such an argument is a different question. So yes, they do have a right to challenge evolution. Why would they not? At the end of the day it should be Reason that carries the opinion.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I see your point that this is in some sense elevating reason. I disagree that the purpose is arbitrary. We are discussing ones understanding for which reason is paramount. If we were discussing ones sensation then experience would be paramount.
But that is where I disagree. Any understanding with the heart is of equal, if not greater importance than what one can reason with the mind alone. One can reason oneself into quite a hole quite easily if it doesn't factor in the built-in limitations of the mind. There needs to be a balance struck between the left and the right hands, Yin and Yang as it were. The whole person is just that. We are not ultimately stuck with our ideas. Rather, in most cases, our ideas follow behind the heart. I think this reason-dominant mindset is a systemic problem in our modern culture, one which many have and are seeing the limitations of.

Sure, and let us add a seventh stage to Fowler's work beyond universalizing. We can call it conceptualizing. In this stage of faith a person gains the ability to understand the how's and why's of people's reflections and interpretations in the previous stages of faith.
That's humorous. Of course, what you don't understand since you don't seem familiar with Fowler's research, is that it is in fact in Stage 4 Faith, the Individuative-Reflective stage, where you see exactly what you just said here. It is in Stage 4 where reason is able to see for instance that what you see in one symbol set, can also be seen in another. It is through the use of analytics this is accomplished. This is the stage where I would say most of the Neo-Atheist are heading into coming out of a previous mythic-literal stage embedded in religion (if they are Ex's, that is). They are mostly at Stage 3-4, the transitional stages. But to point out, Stage 4, the rational stage, is not at all nothing but negatives. There are highly important growth moments happening there. I myself have been through that.

By the time you hit Stage 5, that has already mostly been addressed, integrated, and moving to the next stage of what do you do with all of that. I'd describe it as redeeming the baby from the bathwater, with full intellectual, emotional, and spiritual integrity. It understands the limits of one's own self, including the limitations of reason (which is where you hear me speaking from and to in this thread). It understands the power of symbolic representation for one's own interior development, yet with eyes wide open, rather than in denial as you might see in a Stage 2 or Stage 3 faith prior to the eyes of rationality opening at Stage 4.

After this comes Stage 6, which is in fact that Universal stage. But it is very rare in people and examples of this would be seen in those such as a Mahatma Gandhi. There is no stage 7, unless you want to imagine some transcendent such being as a Christ or a Krishna. In either case, that doesn't show up in his research since he did deal with actual, existent people whom he did his research with.

I'd really recommend reading his work if this is of interest to you.

Yet somehow you stopped short of this quote

You are at the heart of what you are saying trying to disqualify some because you believe they lack what you possess.
That wasn't my intention, though I can see how it could be read that way. The context I was speaking from was someone with experience has a greater voice when it comes to the information they are drawing from in their opinions. All too often, you have arm-chair enthusiasts dismissing voices of authority and expertise. This too is a systemic problem on the rise today. I was just being a bit harsh, not intending to shut down genuinely inquiring minds that want to be part of the discussion, only backhanding so-called skeptics who are really little more than just closed-minded cynics. And to be clear, I do not view you this way.

If there reasoning is wrong, by all means show that it is wrong. I would have no trouble showing that a person disbelieving in evolution is wrong. Whether or not they accepted such an argument is a different question. So yes, they do have a right to challenge evolution. Why would they not? At the end of the day it should be Reason that carries the opinion.
But the funny thing is, it doesn't. :) Many times I've asked people who left their religious origins what it was that pursued them to give it up. The responses I typically get, and I'm talking in person face to face such as within local atheist groups I've participated in myself, not Internet forum discussions, is that they looked at the evidence and came to the conclusion of the truth of it. They always assume it was reason that led the way.

Now, while it may appear to be that for them, and they sincerely believe this, as did I once upon a time, that's a bit of a smoke screen. They had the evidence available before, yet when they looked at it then they didn't see it, or they avoided looking at it, etc. What changed was something on a far deeper level than reason. Their willingness to look and consider other options changed first. It was not reason, but their will that led the way. And, what led the will to lead the way was a deep sense experientially, that something wasn't working for them to help them translate and navigate their lives. In other words, it's not intellect, but lived experience of one's own life as a whole that sparked the change. Then, all the rest of supports we find along the way are not the end-all-be-all truths, but justifications for our choices based upon our experiential realities.

I could go on at some length here, and probably will at some other point, but hopefully what I'm touching on here may offer some insights into where I am coming from in my points. Reason can be made to fit well-enough to support where we are choosing to be at within a system of perspectives and beliefs, and those logic systems will in fact remain internally consistent and valid, until you step outside of them. The same holds as true for the Rationalist reality with its citations of empiricism as support, as it is for the mythic believer with his citations of divine revelation. In the end, you begin to see these as merely functional tools, rather than absolute universal truths. And that, to me, is when you begin to see beyond the mind as the end-all-be-all source of truth.

And BTW, @Axe Elf , if you haven't read Fowler's work, I think you in particular will find it quite attractive and helpful along the lines of where you seem to be heading. Believe, me, I do appreciate and relate to it very much.

Last edited:

Curious George

Veteran Member
But that is where I disagree. Any understanding with the heart is of equal, if not greater importance than what one can reason with the mind alone. One can reason oneself into quite a hole quite easily if it doesn't factor in the built-in limitations of the mind. There needs to be a balance struck between the left and the right hands, Yin and Yang as it were. The whole person is just that. We are not ultimately stuck with our ideas. Rather, in most cases, our ideas follow behind the heart. I think this reason-dominant mindset is a systemic problem in our modern culture, one which many have and are seeing the limitations of.
Hold on one second. Let us keep away from figurative language that serves no purpose. There is no understanding with the heart. You have sensation and cognition.
That's humorous. Of course, what you don't understand since you don't seem familiar with Fowler's research, is that it is in fact in Stage 4 Faith, the Individuative-Reflective stage, where you see exactly what you just said here. It is in Stage 4 where reason is able to see for instance that what you see in one symbol set, can also be seen in another. It is through the use of analytics this is accomplished. This is the stage where I would say most of the Neo-Atheist are heading into coming out of a previous mythic-literal stage embedded in religion (if they are Ex's, that is). They are mostly at Stage 3-4, the transitional stages. But to point out, Stage 4, the rational stage, is not at all nothing but negatives. There are highly important growth moments happening there. I myself have been through that.

By the time you hit Stage 5, that has already mostly been addressed, integrated, and moving to the next stage of what do you do with all of that. I'd describe it as redeeming the baby from the bathwater, with full intellectual, emotional, and spiritual integrity. It understands the limits of one's own self, including the limitations of reason (which is where you hear me speaking from and to in this thread). It understands the power of symbolic representation for one's own interior development, yet with eyes wide open, rather than in denial as you might see in a Stage 2 or Stage 3 faith prior to the eyes of rationality opening at Stage 4.

After this comes Stage 6, which is in fact that Universal stage. But it is very rare in people and examples of this would be seen in those such as a Mahatma Gandhi. There is no stage 7, unless you want to imagine some transcendent such being as a Christ or a Krishna. In either case, that doesn't show up in his research since he did deal with actual, existent people whom he did his research with.

I'd really recommend reading his work if this is of interest to you.
Yet that is not of what I was speaking. It is not recognizing just that one symbol can can be another but understanding the how's and why's of all matters spiritual.
That wasn't my intention, though I can see how it could be read that way. The context I was speaking from was someone with experience has a greater voice when it comes to the information they are drawing from in their opinions. All too often, you have arm-chair enthusiasts dismissing voices of authority and expertise. This too is a systemic problem on the rise today. I was just being a bit harsh, not intending to shut down genuinely inquiring minds that want to be part of the discussion, only backhanding so-called skeptics who are really little more than just closed-minded cynics. And to be clear, I do not view you this way.

But the funny thing is, it doesn't. :) Many times I've asked people who left their religious origins what it was that pursued them to give it up. The responses I typically get, and I'm talking in person face to face such as within local atheist groups I've participated in myself, not Internet forum discussions, is that they looked at the evidence and came to the conclusion of the truth of it. They always assume it was reason that led the way.

Now, while it may appear to be that for them, and they sincerely believe this, as did I once upon a time, that's a bit of a smoke screen. They had the evidence available before, yet when they looked at it then they didn't see it, or they avoided looking at it, etc. What changed was something on a far deeper level than reason. Their willingness to look and consider other options changed first. It was not reason, but their will that led the way. And, what led the will to lead the way was a deep sense experientially, that something wasn't working for them to help them translate and navigate their lives. In other words, it's not intellect, but lived experience of one's own life as a whole that sparked the change. Then, all the rest of supports we find along the way are not the end-all-be-all truths, but justifications for our choices.

I could go on at some length here, and probably will at some other point, but hopefully what I'm touching on here may offer some insights into where I am coming from in my points. Reason can be made to fit well-enough to support where we are choosing to be at within a system of perspectives and beliefs, and those logic systems will in fact remain internally consistent and valid, until you step outside of them. The same holds as true for the Rationalist reality with its citations of empiricism as support, as it is for the mythic believer with his citations of divine revelation. In the end, you begin to see these as merely functional tools, rather than absolute universal truths. And that, to me, is when you begin to see beyond the mind as the end-all-be-all source of truth.
I think you are choosing to ignore your ego at play. As long as you do, it will continue to play.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Hold on one second. Let us keep away from figurative language that serves no purpose.
You think metaphors serve no purpose? You think no information is contained in them, no truths?

There is no understanding with the heart. You have sensation and cognition.
You have many layers to your mind, not just that level of stuff you're actively thinking of, such as the subconscious mind and the unconscious mind. Those "intuitive" senses, those gut feelings, those deep 'knowing" beyond and before what your active mental processes are churning on are in fact actualities. Can't you handle non-literal languages? A metaphor can in fact point to actual truth.

Yet that is not of what I was speaking. It is not recognizing just that one symbol can can be another but understanding the how's and why's of all matters spiritual.
And Stage 4 faith is more than just that. That's was just one example. You making crap up about a stage 7 has no basis in actual research, and what you were talking about is addressed in Stage 4.

I think you are choosing to ignore your ego at play. As long as you do, it will continue to play.
Oh my. Is this where you need this to go at this point? Trying to dismiss what I'm saying as my personal ego trip? Well, I'm sorry you're tipping your hand like this, showing the cards you have been holding. What is that stench of urine I smell? I always say, ad-homs are the sure signal the other has nothing else to add that can be reasoned. I'll take this as you speaking of yourself, of course. Again, a projection.

Last edited:

Curious George

Veteran Member
You think metaphors serve no purpose? You think no information is contained in them, no truths?

You have many layers to your mind, not just that level of stuff you're actively thinking of, such as the subconscious mind and the unconscious mind. Those "intuitive" senses, those gut feelings, those deep 'knowing" beyond and before what your active mental processes are churning on are in fact actualities. Can't you handle non-literal languages? A metaphor can in fact point to actual truth.
Metaphors can serve purpose. But here they serve to obscure.
And Stage 4 faith is more than just that. That's was just one example. You making crap up about a stage 7 has no basis in actual research, and what you were talking about is addressed in Stage 4.
Sounds like you don't like stage 7.
Oh my. Is this where you need this to go at this point? Trying to dismiss what I'm saying as my personal ego trip? Well, I'm sorry you're tipping your hand like this, showing the cards you have been holding. What is that stench of urine I smell? I always say, ad-homs are the sure signal the other has nothing else to add that can be reasoned. I'll take this as you speaking of yourself, of course.
I tipped my hand at the beginning. I pointed out that your argument was playing the I have x, and you don't, so you can't comment.

Just look at the smilies you offered: an educated man speaking and an uneducated man not. A parent speaking and a child not. Then we move on to your focus of stages where you note that others are at a lower stage and therefore are less knowledgeable. All of this stemming from your want to rationalize the view that some shouldn't even "weigh in" on a conversation about spiritual matters.

You cannot see this?

Take a step away from the argument. I am not trying to say that I know more or that my experience and reasoning is invalid. All I am saying is considered what you said. Consider what you are still saying. I see know other way to point out your hierarchical take on Fowler's stages and your want that people less "experienced" sit down and shut up.

Maybe I am wrong. You can always hold on to that.