• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

interfaith pop quiz

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Maize said:
No, that's enough, CP. ;)
Enough to sufficiently answer the first question. I believe the idea was frubals and 1000 coins for the first person to correctly answer all three questions.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
lilithu said:
Enough to sufficiently answer the first question. I believe the idea was frubals and 1000 coins for the first person to correctly answer all three questions.
drat! ok fine, i intended to leave the otehr two questions to be answerd by otehr members, but if you wish for me to show of my amazing knowledge, then i guess i can't dissapoint my audience :D

2) What is 'Brahman' in Hinduism?

Brahman or Brahmin. In the Upanishads, Brahman is the name for the ultimate, unchanging reality, composed of pure being and consciousness. Brahman lies behind the apparent multiplicity of the phenomenal world, and is ultimately identical to the atman or inner essence of the human being. This ultimate quality relates to the second meaning of Brahman, or Brahmin—a member of the highest, or priestly, Hindu caste. Brahmins alone may interpret the Vedas and perform the Vedic sacrifice.

3) What is the Torah and what books are included in it?

The word "Torah" is a tricky one, because it can mean different things in different contexts. In its most limited sense, "Torah" refers to the Five Books of Moses: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy. But the word "torah" can also be used to refer to the entire Jewish bible (the body of scripture known to non-Jews as the Old Testament and to Jews as the Tanakh or Written Torah), or in its broadest sense, to the whole body of Jewish law and teachings.

so, you tell me, what book do you intend to include?

C_P

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
corrupt_priest said:
so, you tell me, what book do you intend to include?

C_P
lol! Maize and I were having a discussion about that behind the scenes via PM, whether we should specifically define what we mean by Torah. Dude, 1000 coins for answering all three questions correctly, and another 500 for that last question. :p

Just out of curiosity, are you looking this stuff up, or do you have a particular fascination with different religions like Maize and I?

Note: I will frubal you as soon as the frubalometer lets me. I will NOT forget.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Ok, next round!

For frubals and 1000 coins be the first to answer the following 3 questions correctly:

1) Who is the founder of Sikhism?

2) Shinto is primarily practiced in what country?

3) Who is commonly referred to as the father of Protestantism in Christianity?

Mike182

Flaming Queer
lilithu said:
lol! Maize and I were having a discussion about that behind the scenes via PM, whether we should specifically define what we mean by Torah. Dude, 1000 coins for answering all three questions correctly, and another 500 for that last question. :p

Just out of curiosity, are you looking this stuff up, or do you have a particular fascination with different religions like Maize and I?

Note: I will frubal you as soon as the frubalometer lets me. I will NOT forget.
dude, honestly, i just know this stuff :sarcastic

i knew that the first 5 books were the books of moses, and that they were refered to as "torah" in judaism, but i did research it to get the nitty-gritty detail

BUT i didn't google it, i used my well established books - so much better than google, anyone can make an internet page, it takes a real interlect to write a book

but i do have a fascination with other religions and cultures, what with doing sociology and all :eek: i am very open to learning, as i believe all knowledge has intrinsic value

can i post a question aswell? or is it only those who seem qualified in the areas of multiple religions that can do this?

C_P

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Maize said:
Ok, next round!

For frubals and 1000 coins be the first to answer the following 3 questions correctly:

oooooo, and again, my little eyes light up, and my oxford dictionary of religions come out
1) Who is the founder of Sikhism?
[font=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Shri Guru Nanak Dev Ji, (1469-1538) who was born in the Punjab area of what is now Pakistan[/font]

2) Shinto is primarily practiced in what country?
shinto is an ancient japanese religion
3) Who is commonly referred to as the father of Protestantism in Christianity?
erm, martin luther started the german protestant reformation, during which john calvin and Ulrich Zwengli kicked off

luther and zwengli famously disagreed over the sacrament of the euchrist, and so they insluted eachother over a cup of coffee, and never spoke to each other again ... ... ...

... ... ... maybe not the part about coffee, but there were other reformers before them, the earlier ones were just not successful

C_P

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
corrupt_priest said:
dude, honestly, i just know this stuff :sarcastic

i knew that the first 5 books were the books of moses, and that they were refered to as "torah" in judaism, but i did research it to get the nitty-gritty detail

BUT i didn't google it, i used my well established books - so much better than google, anyone can make an internet page, it takes a real interlect to write a book

but i do have a fascination with other religions and cultures, what with doing sociology and all :eek: i am very open to learning, as i believe all knowledge has intrinsic value
Hey, I was just curious. It's cool that you know this stuff, but as I said in the top post, google is fine. I don't care how people get the answers; I was just interested in having a little fun, getting some info about different faiths out there, and getting rid of some coins.

corrupt_priest said:
can i post a question as well? or is it only those who seem qualified in the areas of multiple religions that can do this?
Yes, it's only those who seem qualified. :p But seeing as you seem as qualified as Maize and me, I don't see why you can't post questions. :) The only problem is that you wouldn't get coins for answering your own questions, and you also seem to be the only one, asside from Maize and me, who is interested in this game.

Rules are that you post THREE questions, and I'll take care of the 1000 coin prize, at least until I run out.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
corrupt_priest said:
oooooo, and again, my little eyes light up, and my oxford dictionary of religions come out

[font=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Shri Guru Nanak Dev Ji, (1469-1538) who was born in the Punjab area of what is now Pakistan[/font]

shinto is an ancient japanese religion

erm, martin luther started the german protestant reformation, during which john calvin and Ulrich Zwengli kicked off

luther and zwengli famously disagreed over the sacrament of the euchrist, and so they insluted eachother over a cup of coffee, and never spoke to each other again ... ... ...

... ... ... maybe not the part about coffee, but there were other reformers before them, the earlier ones were just not successful

C_P
1000 coins to C_P yet again. :)

However, Maize, I cannot frubal him since I've not had time to read a lot of posts lately (thesis proposal deadline looming) and hence have not been fruballing much and the frubalometer says I can't frubal C_P again until I spread some karma around. Apparently, it must be frubal karma, since my spreading of other types of karma has had no effect on the frubalometer. I still owe him from the last round. Can you fix him up?

The Black Whirlwind

heres some questions, but i can only give out frubals at this time:

who first started the jedi faith?

what is the jedi code?

how many main jedi branches are there?

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
lilithu said:
1000 coins to C_P yet again. :)

However, Maize, I cannot frubal him since I've not had time to read a lot of posts lately (thesis proposal deadline looming) and hence have not been fruballing much and the frubalometer says I can't frubal C_P again until I spread some karma around. Apparently, it must be frubal karma, since my spreading of other types of karma has had no effect on the frubalometer. I still owe him from the last round. Can you fix him up?

Gotcha. Good job, CP. :clap

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
OK, next round!

In what year did the Unitarians and Universalists merge creating Unitarian Universalism? :D

What is the Muslim holy city and why is it special?

Who is believed to have written, Dao De Jing, and what religion did this person begin?

Okay time to answer some questions.

1. In what year did the Unitarians and Universalists merge creating Unitarian Universalism? :D

Well its the year is 1794

2. What is the Muslim holy city and why is it special?
The holy city for Muslims is THe sitty of Mecca. This city is where the black stone set up by Abraham was built. And was used to offer Ishmaelas a sacrifice.
3. Who is believed to have written, Dao De Jing, and what religion did this person begin?

Very little is known about the author of the DAO DE JING, which is attributed to Lao-zi. According to the historian Sima Qian who wrote about 100 BC, Lao-zi lived during the sixth century BC in the state of Chu in China and in the imperial capital Luoyang held the office of shi which in ancient China meant a keeper of the archives and sacred books who also may have been skilled in astrology and divination.

Sima Qian wrote how Lao-zi once met with Confucius, whom he criticized for pride and ambition. However, Confucius told his disciples, "I know how birds can fly, how fish can swim, how animals can run. Yet the runner may be trapped; the swimmer may be hooked; and the flyer may be shot by an arrow. But who knows how dragons ride on winds through clouds into heaven? Today I have seen Lao-zi and can compare him only to a dragon."

According to legend, when in old age Lao-zi was leaving Chu he was stopped by the guardian of the pass into the state of Ch'in and asked to write down his wisdom. After three days he produced the book of about 5,250 characters known as the DAO DE JING.

Okay Did I answered them Right
)(

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
defense of truth said:
Okay time to answer some questions.

1. In what year did the Unitarians and Universalists merge creating Unitarian Universalism? :D

Well its the year is 1794
No, sorry.
2. What is the Muslim holy city and why is it special?
The holy city for Muslims is THe sitty of Mecca. This city is where the black stone set up by Abraham was built. And was used to offer Ishmaelas a sacrifice.
That is correct.
3. Who is believed to have written, Dao De Jing, and what religion did this person begin?

Very little is known about the author of the DAO DE JING, which is attributed to Lao-zi.
Partially correct. You didn't answer the last half of the question: What religion did this person begin?

SoyLeche

meh...
Maize said:
No, sorry.

That is correct.

Partially correct. You didn't answer the last half of the question: What religion did this person begin?
Taoism -- Is that what you wanted?