• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interfaith Marriage/Relationship

bp789

What do you guys think about being in an interreligious marriage or relationship as Hindus? As far as I know, there's not much in Hindu scriptures that says anything about it, and it's up to personal choice.

That being said, would you guys be willing to be a part of an interfaith relationship or would you rather just marry a fellow Hindu? If you are or might consider being an interfaith relationship, how would you handle stuff like the wedding and how to raise the children? If you're vegetarian, how would you handle being in a relationship with someone that eats meat?

Personally, I think I would rather be with another Hindu because it would be easier in the family life as there's a common belief system. Plus if I decide to have any kids, I want to raise them as Hindus (although whether they decide to stay Hindu is up to them) and I think that would be difficult to make sure with a non-Hindu parent (although that's not always true) and living in Texas surrounded by Christians.

But what do you guys think? :)

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
My girlfriend is a Syncretic Pagan, so raising kids with her would probably be easier since our beliefs don't clash that much. Besides, she loves Kali. ^_^

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I think, for the sake of later family harmony, its best to marry someone with similar interests, and if either partner is keen on religion, probably not the best idea to marry. It points to problems. Kids often mean people get more religious. I think I've seen more failed interfaith marriages than successful ones. But I mean interfaith when both were strong, not just token faiths.

Maya3

My husband is not Hindu.
He is a meat eater and I´m vegetarian. It works fine for us. He respects my spiritual life even if he doesn´t have one on his own, although I think he is the greatest Karma Yogi that I personally know. We also do pujas together which is nice.

When it comes to food, we usually cook something we can both eat and then he cooks his own meat and eats that on the side. I never cook it for him.

His sister is Jewish and we celebrate Jewish holidays with her and we celebrate secular Christmas at our house as well. So it´s a bit of a mix of everything.

Maya

Wannabe Yogi

I think, for the sake of later family harmony, its best to marry someone with similar interests, and if either partner is keen on religion, probably not the best idea to marry. It points to problems. Kids often mean people get more religious. I think I've seen more failed interfaith marriages than successful ones. But I mean interfaith when both were strong, not just token faiths.

I would tend to agree. But add it all depends how important the faith is. I you are doing 6 hours of sadhana a day. It's probably better to have married a very spiritual Hindu. Even an ordinary Hindu you will have problems. But if you are a hindu who meditates 15 mins a day interfaith marriages might be just fine. As long as things stay the same.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
As long as things stay the same.

In the marriages I saw go astray, this was the problem. The things did not stay the same. When (and if) kids come along somebody decides on a baptism ... and then what? It should to be decided before, not after.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I'm married to someone who doesn't hold the same religion as me; she's claims she's a Christian (although I doubt it; what kind of Christian would refer to Jesus' commandments as "love God and your neighbour all that crap"? She's probably closer to a generic monotheist with culturally Christian leanings) and I'm, well, me; and we have kids.

Things have worked out okay since she isn't trying to raise the kids with any real spirituality, and most of the time, it's me doing anything spiritual with them like taking them to mandir, although she takes them to church every now and then, it's usually a kid's "messy church".

If she were more religious.. I dunno, I think it'd just end up quite syncretic, not too dissimilar from a Dharmic form of Bahá'ís, or something.

The only time I think it would be difficult would be if she was an exclusivist in a religion, which she isn't (thankfully), although I can definitely see the wisdom there would be in a mono-religious marriage, especially when kids are involved.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Odion, I'm glad its worked out for you. I've seen it work out as well. I just think the chances of harmony are increased from same faith marriages.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Our house is so freakin' confused anyway, there's no room for dissent. :D