• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interfaith marriage in Judaism

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Can Jews marry non-Jews?

I am going to watch a Swiss movie whose protagonist is a shy, gentle Orthodox Jewish guy, who falls prey to an insatiable...I mean...to a university colleague.....very romantic:p:D

wolkenbruch_motti_laura_1000px.jpg

Title: Wolkenbruchs wunderliche Reise in die arme einer Schickse

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Yes, modern society loves its Romeos and Juliets. We forget that in the original play the two lovers died. If he's Orthodox, how will he continue to be observant if he doesn't have kosher food to eat or a shomer shabbos home? Everyone watching the movie thinks he is so darling being orthodox, but the very relationship he is developing will destroy that orthodox observance that they love.

I'm not here to tell people who they can and can't marry. But choices do have consequences (both ways).

First, if he marries her, the status of his children is not clear. For example, Orthodox Jews will say that the children are not Jewish since one is only a Jew if born of a Jewish mom or a convert. The Reform will accept his children as Jews, but only if they are raised as Jews.

The truth is that when Jews intermarry, then tend to compromise in the home. For example, they will allow in the celebration of Christmas and other elements of the Christian religion. It creates confusion for the children. "Am I a Jew or am I a Christian? Is Jesus God or is God echad?" Statistically, children in general raised in homes that are not committed to one religion are more likely to grow up and be a none of the above. Children born to Jewish-Christian interfaith marriages are more likely to not practice Judaism as adults, and to intermarry themselves. The odds are overwhelming that the grandchildren will not self-identify as Jews.

In other words, intermarriage has a tendency to end the Jewish line for that person, if not in all cases, in far too many.

Like I said, I'm not here to boss people around and tell them who to marry. But they should marry with the full knowledge of the likely consequences of their actions.

Now, on the flip side...

Synagogues like mine have basically accepted intermarriage because it is so common. Our goal is to mitigate the damage as much as possible. The question is, how can we save the children?

The answer is outreach to the spouse and Jewish support for the family. Rather than shunning intermarrieds, we go out of our way to embrace them. We make the Gentile spouse feel a part of our Synagogue family. We provide lots and lots of classes in everything from learning Basic Judaism and Hebrew to Challah cooking parties. We never make them feel bad for being Christians, and we answer honestly and with love all their difficult questions -- usually this happens over many many years. There is no rush; after all, it's not like we are after conversions.

I think we are doing a very good job. There seems to be a lot of Shalom in the Home and a high rate of bat and bar mitzvah among the kids, which is what we are after.

Strangely, though it is not our intention in the slightest, we have a very high rate of spouses eventually converting to Judaism. I'd say about 20% of our congregation are converts.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Can Jews marry non-Jews?

I am going to watch a Swiss movie whose protagonist is a shy, gentle Orthodox Jewish guy, who falls prey to an insatiable...I mean...to a university colleague.....very romantic:p:D
Title: Wolkenbruchs wunderliche Reise in die arme einer Schickse

No a Jew may not marry a non-Jew according to Jewish Law. Unfortunately, only Orthodox Judaism as a denomination remains serious about this Law (or perhaps Jewish Law in general). To be fair though, an Orthodox Jew who is holding at a point where they're ready to intermarry, will probably no longer identify as an Orthodox Jew, since commitment to Jewish Law is what differentiates Orthodox Judaism from other denominations.

PR_2015-08-26_orthodox-jews-04.png

However, in Reform Judaism, still the largest denomination, intermarriage is accepted without any problem. In Conservative Judaism, intermarriage is officially not allowed by their central body, but individual Rabbi may support the marriage with their attendance and there is a push to allow it altogether.

DustyFeet

पैर है| outlaw kosher care-bear | Tribe of Dan
I struggle with this. The question I ask myself is, "How do I know **for sure** a person is not-jewish?"

DustyFeet

Tumah, I think we have a different definition of Jewish. No disrespect, though.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I struggle with this. The question I ask myself is, "How do I know **for sure** a person is not-jewish?"
  • They ask you when Chanukkah is this year. It's the same time every year!!
  • They have a sefer Torah in their 'shul' but they can't read it and don't know what the yad is for.
  • They don't know how to put tefillin or when and why and/or confuse it with the book of psalms.
  • They may baptise in the name of the father, son and ruach hakodesh.
  • They put their left shoe on first. This one is particularly heinous and I will not stand for it.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member

Wait I missed this. This says what I think it does?

...good thing I don't like films, apparently.
yes...it does say that...

Well...I love romance...there's a reason why Romeo and Juliet was set in Verona and not in London:D:p

Last edited:

DustyFeet

i told my daughter; i'm ok with who ever u chose. as long as they're nice to you, and they listen to you.

DustyFeet

the problem I had with Tumah's assertion is it is a secular accounting of spiritual phenomenon: head-count vs. soul-count?

Flankerl

Wait I missed this. This says what I think it does?

Wolkenbruch's miraculous journey into the arms of a Schickse

Many Gentiles like to fetish us.
The religious Jew who is brought into the modern world by a beautiful non-jewish woman.
Through this journey the Jew finally becomes independent from his people/Relgion etc.

And at the end everyone is happy.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Jewish intermarriage rates in the US seem roughly the same as German intermarriage rates once were. When the Germans first began coming here in the mid-1800s, they tended not to intermarry with non-Germans in any great number until about the third or fourth generation. Thomas Sowell, Ethnic America.