• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interfaith Marriage in Hinduism

Ashiqur Rahman

I am Muslim and I am in Love with a Hindu girl. I think my life will have no meaning without her. Is interfaith marriage permitted in Hinduism?? How can I convince her parents?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I am Muslim and I am in Love with a Hindu girl. I think my life will have no meaning without her. Is interfaith marriage permitted in Hinduism?? How can I convince her parents?
That largely depends on how religiously liberal or conservative they may be, with the latter more likely to say no. As far as her parents are concerned, only she could likely answer that based on her perception of their orientation.

Good luck, btw.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Permitted? Is interfaith marriage acceptable in Islam? (Perhaps she has the same question.)

This is nowhere near enough information for anyone on any internet forum to be giving any advice at all. There are way too many variables.

Ashiqur Rahman

Permitted? Is interfaith marriage acceptable in Islam? (Perhaps she has the same question.)

This is nowhere near enough information for anyone on any internet forum to be giving any advice at all. There are way too many variables.
No, it's not permitted in Islam. But my parents are moderate Muslims. They do not have any problem with that marriage. But, her parents are very conservative with their religion. If interfaith marriage is permitted in Hinduism. Maybe I can convince them.

Ashiqur Rahman

That largely depends on how religiously liberal or conservative they may be, with the latter more likely to say no. As far as her parents are concerned, only she could likely answer that based on her perception of their orientation.

Good luck, btw.
Her parents are very conservative about their religion. I think, they will never accept until I can prove the interfaith marriage is permitted in Hinduism. Anyway Thanks!

danieldemol

Premium Member
Speaking from personal experience, I can say that some Hindus do allow interfaith marriage, even relatively conservative ones, the main obstacle you will face is the negative historical perception of Hindu-Muslim relations.

If her parents have a positive perception of Muslims you will probably be ok, however if they have a negative perception of Muslims I doubt you will have any luck convincing them.

At any rate I wish you good luck.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
No, it's not permitted in Islam. But my parents are moderate Muslims. They do not have any problem with that marriage. But, her parents are very conservative with their religion. If interfaith marriage is permitted in Hinduism. Maybe I can convince them.

Generally speaking it is the Hindus who are the tolerant ones in this situation. I know of several mixed marriages and the non-Hindu parents are often extremely disapproving to the point of disallowing it entirely, or kicking their child out of the home, whereas the Hindu parents support it completely.

But it's really up to you and your fiance to convince everyone, and I reiterate my previous words that this is no place for pre-marriage counseling.

Are you permitting her to ask the same questions on an Islam forum?

As to the basic question ...yes of course Hindus permit interfaith marriage. Some folks may believe it's not such a great idea, but that's a different topic.

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
There might easily be something I missed, but the only thing I found was about all the traditional prohibitions against inter-caste marriage between Hindus.

I do have a question that I might ask: where in your scriptures does it speak of inter-faith marriage? In other words, sometimes asking questions as a path to understanding can be fruitful.

Best wishes for a positive outcome.

Ashiqur Rahman

Speaking from personal experience, I can say that some Hindus do allow interfaith marriage, even relatively conservative ones, the main obstacle you will face is the negative historical perception of Hindu-Muslim relations.

If her parents have a positive perception of Muslims you will probably be ok, however if they have a negative perception of Muslims I doubt you will have any luck convincing them.

They are so negative about Muslims. btw Thank You!
Generally speaking it is the Hindus who are the tolerant ones in this situation. I know of several mixed marriages and the non-Hindu parents are often extremely disapproving to the point of disallowing it entirely, or kicking their child out of the home, whereas the Hindu parents support it completely.

But it's really up to you and your fiance to convince everyone, and I reiterate my previous words that this is no place for pre-marriage counseling.

Are you permitting her to ask the same questions on an Islam forum?

As to the basic question ...yes of course Hindus permit interfaith marriage. Some folks may believe it's not such a great idea, but that's a different topic.
No. She is not asking this question to the ISLAMIC forum. The only problem here is convincing her parents. As my parents do not have any problem with this marriage; she does not need to do that. Anyways thank you!

Ashiqur Rahman

There might easily be something I missed, but the only thing I found was about all the traditional prohibitions against inter-caste marriage between Hindus.

I do have a question that I might ask: where in your scriptures does it speak of inter-faith marriage? In other words, sometimes asking questions as a path to understanding can be fruitful.

Best wishes for a positive outcome.
Islam does not allow the interfaith marriage. Here is a verse from the Quran:
Allah says: “Do not marry idolatresses (al mushrikāt) till they believe; and certainly a believing maid is better than an idolatress even though she would please you; and do not marry idolaters (al Mushrikīn) till they believe (hata yūminū), and certainly a believing slave is better than an idolater, even though he would please you. These invite to the Fire, and Allah invites to the Garden and to forgiveness by His grace, and makes clear His revelations to mankind so that they may remember.”Qur’an 2:221.

Actually I am not in religion. Her parents are very conservative. She said they will never accept the interfaith marriage. and she does not want to hurt her parents. That's the problem.

Last edited:

Ashiqur Rahman

Thank you !