• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interfaith chatter

Clara Tea

Variety is the spice of life so they say,whoever “they” are.

I think that the gingerbread man said that.

upload_2022-8-1_21-6-21.jpeg

An old Chinese curse: "May your life be interesting." To them, mild life with no surprises is preferable. No news is good news.

Clara Tea

there is at present little interest in interfaith dialogue beyond superficial academics or from a distance.

Fundamentalism of extreme belief and violence is becoming more common in recent years.

At present faiths like the Baha'i Faith, some forms of Buddhism and Unitarians from the humanist perspective appear to be alone in the quest for a deeper dialogue in the search for tolerance, unity in the diversity of human beliefs,

Cancel culture any dissenters.

Crush the intolerant.

Only supporters of the National Rifle Association can vote with the Religious Right (and support torture camps and lie us into wars).

Cut taxes for the rich so they can pass the savings to us. Outsource factories for cheap foreign labor. Lie and cheat for Jesus, and redefine the words "torture," "poverty," and "hunger." Prevent frivolous lawsuits by preventing any lawsuits. Spy on phones, internet, snail mail, and use fancy electronics to peer through solid walls of buildings to make sure that people are having sex the way the bible says they should (no Gay sex).

To me, the Baha'i who post here are a breath of fresh air. Peaceful, tolerant, though I think that dissenting opinions are still frowned upon. They seek the word of God (though that doesn't matter to most people today).

God says "don't kill," and most Christians are for war.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
*peers suspiciously*

Can't tell if you're being serious, so at the risk of playing a straight bat to a googly...

Religion serves a variety of roles. Culture carrier is one. Upholder of traditional values or wisdoms. Provider of structure and order. Lots of stuff.

Whilst this varies to some degree from culture to culture, there are lots of common ground concepts.

Some faiths there will enormous amounts of overlap, and they can unify to discuss how to keep their messages relevant to youth without losing their core values. Or even if it's desirable and appropriate to try and do so. Should they involve themselves in local politics? What is the best way to help with homelessness? What does their religion stare around global issues on climate? Refugees?

The carrot is increase comprehension of our fellow man, and the ability to collaborate on common ground issues.
The 'stick' is basically the negative impact failing to do so has on all of us.
For an atheist, I could worry about you. Even worse, you haven't used the words proof, evidence, rational, teapot, woo or unicorn in this post. You need to up your game. ;)

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
"Interfaith chatter"
paarsurrey said:
What is the difference between "Interfaith Chatter" and the "Interfaith Dialogue", please?
And, what is that in interfaith chatter unusual that makes one happy but makes one sad in interfaith friendly and peaceful dialogue, please? Right?
Anybody, please

Regards

RestlessSoul

"Interfaith chatter"

And, what is that in interfaith chatter unusual that makes one happy but makes one sad in interfaith friendly and peaceful dialogue, please? Right?
Anybody, please

Regards

‘Chatter’, like ‘chit-chat’, generally implies light hearted conversation, simply for the sake of connecting with others. Small talk, as it were. Dialogue tends to imply the exchange of ideas, information or opinions.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
‘Chatter’, like ‘chit-chat’, generally implies light hearted conversation, simply for the sake of connecting with others. Small talk, as it were. Dialogue tends to imply the exchange of ideas, information or opinions.

True, the dominant 'chit-chat' is superficial and at a distance. For many, if not most believers close relevant dialogue is uncomfortable to the point of being avoided. Serious questions are avoided.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
For an atheist, I could worry about you. Even worse, you haven't used the words proof, evidence, rational, teapot, woo or unicorn in this post. You need to up your game. ;)
" words proof, evidence, rational, teapot, woo or unicorn "

Yes, they use these word so "religiously" that the usage of these words have become sort of "rhetoric" with them, I agree with one here, if they don't object in this connection, won't they, please? Right?

Regards

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
Wikipedia: Interfaith Dialogue
Four ways of Interfaith Dialogue
Examples of Interfaith Dialogue

Remember the good old days when Interfaith Dialogue meant somewhat more than chatter about numerology, ravens, and dragons? It still can. It still does.

As a Christian, numerology, ravens, and dragons are attached to my belief system. From Genesis to the Revelation, they are part of the text and teachings. What would you have others do? It would almost be like excluding Moses or Abraham. What do you have in mind?