• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting That There Is No Word In The Bible For Natural And Supernatural

Ricktheheretic

"Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law"
't
Let's stop at the word "supernatural" which is the subject of this thread. If something is judged that, then we see that it won't be taken seriously as a real-life event or a power or ability that it can be done. What you are describing is a fantastic claim being made such as the universe came from invisible particles.

First, let's look to see if the claim actually happened. This is an event in the past, so all we have are the historical record of it. For example, let's say you and a friend went to a nightclub and a superstar performer showed up and performed a one-hour set and left. No one was able to record this event because your phone had to be turned off and no cameras were allowed. Thus, all you and the people there have are memories of the event. You and your friend know it happened, but all you can do is tell your other friends and acquaintances about it. They don't believe you.

Let's say we have photos of the loaves and fishes event. We see various shots of people eating, talking and enjoying themselves. Now, we have evidence that this was an event that occurred. However, we do not have photos, so all we have is the word of people and that it was recorded in writing. If we go back to the hypothetical concert, and there was a reporter who just happened to be there and she writes a story, then you would have more credibility. Back to the miracle. Once we established that the miraculous event happened, then what we would be looking for is where the bread and fish came from besides the original. One of the ideas being propagated is God is able to move through spacetime and multidimensions and so would be able to find another source of the loaves and fishes.

Thus, the important thing to look for with any claims such as the power of the mind, miraculous events or is what events occurred from this power is to first verify that it did happen or can happen. Another would be to verify that it wasn't a trick and that it indeed was a transformation. There is an aspect of your greed being played upon in this transmutation. Plenty of people out there to trick you out of money by buying a book or DVD. Could they be using miracles in Christianity to sway your thinking? Then you have to look at how something like this could happen. While the power of positive thinking or the way our minds work is indeed incredible, there has been no evidence of someone "transmuting" mercury into gold using the mind. It would take a tremendous amount of energy in order to do it. We do have gold that was produced by bombarding mercury with radiation in a high-energy collider, but the gold is so small that it's not worth the energy needed to create it. Then special care is needed to handle this radioactive gold and it doesn't have practical uses AFAIK.

I just like finding some scientific evidence for things that are labeled "occult" or "supernatural." I wasn't implying that the mercury was made into gold by mind-power, just that the maybe what we call matter doesn't have to be subject to the same laws that scientists claim. The Charles Filmore book ties in because it explains an unknown ability of human minds to affect physical matter, with some science involved. The stuff about "dark" energy or "matter" ties in because it suggests maybe we don't know about everything that's out there, and maybe not everything follows the same physical laws that physicists believe in. But I know that ultimately religion or spirituality is about faith not evidence. I know that maybe human's cannot scientifically explain god's ways. So I won't harp on the subject anymore.

james bond

't

I just like finding some scientific evidence for things that are labeled "occult" or "supernatural." I wasn't implying that the mercury was made into gold by mind-power, just that the maybe what we call matter doesn't have to be subject to the same laws that scientists claim. The Charles Filmore book ties in because it explains an unknown ability of human minds to affect physical matter, with some science involved. The stuff about "dark" energy or "matter" ties in because it suggests maybe we don't know about everything that's out there, and maybe not everything follows the same physical laws that physicists believe in. But I know that ultimately religion or spirituality is about faith not evidence. I know that maybe human's cannot scientifically explain god's ways. So I won't harp on the subject anymore.

If we're talking about something that separates us from our money such as advertising or some claim to benefit us, then there is that warning of "If it's sounds too good to be true, then it probably is." I was just pointing out here that descriptive terms for God is better than judgmental terms if one is looking for truth. If something is spiritual, then it is difficult to describe. Our being is spirit, so our spiritual being is difficult to describe. Our physical being is easier to describe. God has revealed himself to us several times, but what the people who witnessed actually saw can best be described as that God was anthropomorphic or possessed human like attributes such as they may have saw or touched a face, heard a voice or felt his hands. So, in your quest to explore the occult and "supernatural," then look for descriptive terms instead of judgmental ones and look for the "source" of events or that which exist such as ghosts or witches. There's a fellow with name of Joe Nickell who is a skeptic and is a professional investigator who looks into haunted houses and such. He looks to falsify the occult or supernatural and gets paid for it. He does this when it someone has problems with claims of the occult or supernatural. He used to not deal with God or religion as policy, but has sold out and now debunks religious claims for a price or when it helps promote himself. His view is if all swans are white, then I'm looking for the black, green or purple one. It's not our mindset when exploring the occult or supernatural, but I only bring him up in that having a skeptical mind sometimes helps. I've been skeptical of claims of God myself. It's another way to get at the truth.

Nous

Premium Member
Thus, one has to have faith and believe in God first and then they start to experience the miracles.
Can you show that miracles such as described in the Bible commonly happen for people who 'believe in God"?

gnostic

The Lost One
I assume you're referring to the Bible and its authors. Yes, the author is the Big Guy, so assume you're getting it straight from the source although others may have written down what he said.
If God didn't write it, then he is not the author.

A lot of the books in the bible, weren't written by the names whose titles were on the books.

For instance, Samuel was a character, a Judge and prophet in the time when Saul was king. His name is the title of two books.

Does that mean Samuel was the author of the book?

How can he be author when he died before end of book 1 (1 Samuel)?

Putting a person's name on the book as its title, doesn't mean that the book is autobiography. And it doesn't make the character real and historical.

Much of the books in the Old Testament were written in the time of Josiah (Deuteronomy, Joshua, Ruth, Judges, Samuel, Psalms, hence these are often referred to as deuteronomical literature or books) and during the captivity in Babylon and afterwards (Kings, Isaiah, Ezekiel, Jeremiah, Job, etc).

Likewise, people might attribute a certain person as author, doesn't mean that "person" is the author.

For instance, traditions have attributed the Torah or the Pentateuch (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers) to Moses, but it is quite clear that Moses didn't write those books; a number of different authors in different times wrote those books, spanning from 7th century to 5th century BCE.

In the New Testament, the oldest copies of 4 accepted gospels were written anonymously. Names were attributed to the 4 Evangelists, only in the early 2nd century CE; they weren't written by Mark, Matthew, Luke and John.

But whether the books were categorised as being New Testament or Old Testament, none of them were written by God, therefore God cannot be the author.

Believing that God is the author, is only a matter of personal belief and personal faith. And saying it is, when it isn't, is nothing more than lying to others and lying to yourself.

"Yourself", like you, james bond.