• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting study about reincarnation

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Maya,

Interesting study about reincarnation
Yes in India too have read many such stories even where a child has led the present parents to the past life parents and redeveloped a working relationship.

Good to note that someone has thought of developing a science around this and labelled it 'spirit science' as finally its all science except the connections are still as dots which we humans are trying to join.

Love & rgds

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
My thought is I wonder why these things and studies get so little attention and something like the Higgs-Boson particle (which very few lay people can really understand) gets so much publicity.

There is such a strong materialist bias in our scientific community.

It seems like we are not meant to have sufficient evidence to ever 'prove' anything about our spiritual beliefs. I've often thought there may be a greater gentler wisdom behind all this.

Maya3

My thought is I wonder why these things and studies get so little attention and something like the Higgs-Boson particle (which very few lay people can really understand) gets so much publicity.

There is such a strong materialist bias in our scientific community.

It seems like we are not meant to have sufficient evidence to ever 'prove' anything about our spiritual beliefs. I've often thought there may be a greater gentler wisdom behind all this.

It's a good question. I wonder that too, but I think that these studies often comes out as less serious. The link I posted is produced so that it seems very New Agey and sensationalist. It is unfortunate.

Maya

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend George-ananda,

Kindly understand this: The practise of spirituality is to be 'enlightened' and this enlightenment happens only to the individual who is able to remove the mind which is a space from thoughts. When this mind-space is free of all thoughts such a state is labelled 'enlightenment'.
On the other hand science is a study and this study can happen only when the mind thinks and so to know about things and verify about things that are only available to someone who is no more available meaning when the mind is free of thoughts the seer and the seen are one so such a person cannot speak when he is free of his mind/thoughts.

Meaning it is only verifiable through personal experience.

Love & rgds

George-ananda

Premium Member
It's a good question. I wonder that too, but I think that these studies often comes out as less serious. The link I posted is produced so that it seems very New Agey and sensationalist. It is unfortunate.

Maya

I think there's the unfortunate attitude among many that REAL scientists study things like Higgs-Boson.

The most famous scientist who studied children's reincarnational memories was Dr. Ian Stevenson. He was very methodical in his approach and is highly regarded.

But anything outside of the materialist boundaries is treated as fringe stuff by the media and pseudo-science by the so-called real scientists. I've heard of one professor who used the term Hume's Syndrome to describe the scientific resistance.

Hume Syndrome = Irrational Resistance to the Paranormal

There seems to be a vehemence against the paranormal based on emotion (not reason). Rational questioning and open-minded skepticism is good. But emotional attachment to a materialist worldview is not good.

Thana

Lady
I believe that Past lives are studied by Parapsychologists.
Unfortunately they are very few in number with very limited funding, And only ever private. Aswell as facing massive amounts of scrutiny and anything they find is usually dismissed

I've even read that to study Parapyschology can hurt your professional career.

It's unfortunate since it's so integral to a lot of religions, And to have it studied legitimately would be beyond amazing and I think major breakthroughs would occur in the field that would completely change our perspective of the soul and of the supernatural.

George-ananda

Premium Member
I believe that Past lives are studied by Parapsychologists.
Unfortunately they are very few in number with very limited funding, And only ever private. Aswell as facing massive amounts of scrutiny and anything they find is usually dismissed

I've even read that to study Parapyschology can hurt your professional career.

This is true.

It's unfortunate since it's so integral to a lot of religions, And to have it studied legitimately would be beyond amazing and I think major breakthroughs would occur in the field that would completely change our perspective of the soul and of the supernatural.

This gets back to a point I was trying to make before. I don't think the higher beings want any major breakthrough moments. I think they want to slowly evolve thinking and some of us will evolve quicker than others.

Any major breakthrough moment or world-wide undeniable miracle is not how the higher beings, in their wisdom, choose to interact with the human race. What would be the sudden ramification on the world or religion and society if let's say 'reincarnation' could be proved in a major breakthrough. How would all the religions and atheists be effected by such a sudden event. Even though I grumble about the treatment of parapsychologists in the world of science, I think the slow steady progress they've made is controlled by a wisdom greater than ours. We are only meant to know so much, so fast.