• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting Quotes from Presidents and Founding Fathers

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Dr. Benjamin Rush - Signer of Declaration of Independence.:

By removing the Bible from schools we would be wasting so much time and money in punishing criminals and so little pains to prevent crime. Take the Bible out of our schools and there would be an explosion in crime.

Maybe there is truth to his statement.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

By removing the Bible from schools we would be wasting so much time and money in punishing criminals and so little pains to prevent crime. Take the Bible out of our schools and there would be an explosion in crime.

No, not really. Explain why western nations that are far less religious than the U.S. also have far less crime than the U.S.
The issue is poverty and poor quality education. Ancient goat herder fables have nothing to do with it.

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal

The Bible hasn't been..........expelled from school, so to speak. Student-led prayers are fine. Keep the faculty out of it.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Subject opinion to coercion: whom will you make your inquisitors? Fallible men; men governed by bad passions, by private as well as public reasons. And why subject it to coercion? To produce uniformity. But is uniformity of opinion desirable? No more than of face and stature. Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch toward uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one-half the world fools and the other half hypocrites. To support roguery and error all over the earth. I know it will give great offense to the clergy, but the advocate of religious freedom is to expect neither peace nor forgiveness from them."
-Thomas Jefferson

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

So you found an amazingly ignorant signer of the Declaration of Independence. I could find an amazingly ignorant person in almost any fair sized group. Do you have a point?

David1967

Premium Member
The Bible hasn't been..........expelled from school, so to speak. Student-led prayers are fine. Keep the faculty out of it.

Agree. At the time of the declaration of independence there was not so much diversity of religion as now. Even in my own small town we have students who are Christian, Muslim, Hindu and none of the above. To insist on Bible study and faculty led prayer in school would be counter productive at best. I have no problem with students of any religion having prayer outside of faculty.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

And the Quran? And the Vedas? And the suttas?

Take peoples faith, there'd be crimes. Take their scripture, you'd know where they place their devotion. Its a sad truth because Id think if we took god out of school (take peoples faith away) there'd be crime. But take away bible??

Think jesus disciples said jesus's words: people look to scripture as if It holds eternal life; but, even It speaks of christ.

Basically jesus says: "dude! Im over here, man. Why you reading about the author?" he points away from himself and rolls his eyes and looks away from himself, "he's right infront of you."

Id think there is truth to crimes if they took away jesus not the bible. Isnt there a difference??

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Take the Bible out of our schools and there would be an explosion in crime.

There isn't truth. Crime rates in many areas are dropping which is the exact opposite of what he believed. The crime rate peaked in the early 1990's and has been dropping ever since.

Overall Crime Rate: The national crime rate peaked in 1991 at 5,856 crimes per 100,000 people, and has generally been declining ever since. In 2015, crime fell for the 14th year in a row. Estimates based on preliminary data for 2016 indicate that the overall crime rate will remain stable at 2,857 offenses per 100,000, rising less than 1 percent from 2015. Today’s crime rate is less than half of what it was in 1991. Crime Trends: 1990-2016

And looking across nations, the most religious are not the most law abiding. According to the United Nations' 2011 Global Study on Homicide, of the 10 nations with the highest homicide rates, all are very religious, and many — such as Colombia, Mexico, El Salvador and Brazil — are among the most theistic nations in the world. Of the nations with the lowest homicide rates, nearly all are very secular, with seven ranking among the least theistic nations, such as Sweden, Japan, Norway and the Netherlands.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Really?
After removing them in 1963, many things started looking up.
Public school desegregation.
Gays can marry & serve in the military.
Military draft ended.
Corporate political speech legalized.
Gun rights affirmed.
No more forced Christian prayer in public school.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

Scott Pruitt is likely the unfortunate reincarnation of Dr. Benjamin Rush

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

Exactly, as a tax payer, I'm paying them to teach, not preach.

Also, we all know that those who want to remove the wall between church and state would loudly screech and squeal in protest if it were korans rather than bibles being pushed on students.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

The quote rings suspect to me. That's not much like how they wrote or expressed themselves back then. I think it might be a fabrication.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
The quote rings suspect to me. That's not much like how they wrote or expressed themselves back then. I think it might be a fabrication.

I'm thinking it's paraphrased, but apparently this individual did hold such sentiments. However, he also opposed capital punishment, but you won't see conservative christians sharing those quotes.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So you found an amazingly ignorant signer of the Declaration of Independence. I could find an amazingly ignorant person in almost any fair sized group. Do you have a point?
Other signers made similar statements.
Ref....
Founding Fathers Quotes on Religious Freedom

But of course, there are other quotes worthy of consideration....
Ref.....
Where the preamble declares, that coercion is a departure from the plan of the holy author of our religion, an amendment was proposed by inserting "Jesus Christ," so that it would read "A departure from the plan of Jesus Christ, the holy author of our religion;" the insertion was rejected by the great majority, in proof that they meant to comprehend, within the mantle of its protection, the Jew and the Gentile, the Christian and Mohammedan, the Hindoo and Infidel of every denomination.

-Thomas Jefferson, Autobiography, in reference to the Virginia Act for Religious Freedom

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

This is indeed a fabrication, a phony quote. Indeed the English is wrong. See:
Benjamin Rush - Wikiquote

A more accurate quote follows:

I agree with you likewise in your wishes to keep religion and government independent of each Other.Were it possible for St. Paul to rise from his grave at the present juncture, he would say to the Clergy who are now so active in settling the political Affairs of the World. “Cease from your political labors your kingdom is not of this World. Read my Epistles. In no part of them will you perceive me aiming to depose a pagan Emperor, or to place a Christian upon a throne. Christianity disdains to receive Support from human Governments. From this, it derives its preeminence over all the religions that ever have, or ever Shall exist in the World. Human Governments may receive Support from Christianity but it must be only from the love of justice, and peace which it is calculated to produce in the minds of men. By promoting these, and all the Other Christian Virtues by your precepts, and example, you will much sooner overthrow errors of all kind, and establish our pure and holy religion in the World, than by aiming to produce by your preaching, or pamphflets any change in the political state of mankind.”

He was a close friend and confidant of Thomas Jefferson.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
On the quote's cromulence....
Benjamin Rush - Wikiquote
It seems to be a misquoted version of....
But passing by all other considerations, and contemplating merely the political institutions of the United States, I lament that we waste so much time and money in punishing crimes and take so little pains to prevent them. We profess to be republicans, and yet we neglect the only means of establishing and perpetuating our republican forms of government; that is, the universal education of our youth in the principles of Christianity by means of the Bible; for this divine book, above all others, favors that equality among mankind, that respect for just laws, and all those sober and frugal virtues which constitute the soul of republicanism.
  • A Defence of the Use of the Bible in Schools American Tract Society, 1820. [3]
Not much better than the misquoted version, eh.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Christianity disdains to receive Support from human Governments. From this, it derives its preeminence over all the religions that ever have, or ever Shall exist in the World. Human Governments may receive Support from Christianity but it must be only from the love of justice, and peace which it is calculated to produce in the minds of men.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN

James Madison, fourth president and father of the Constitution.

"Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise."