• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting proselytising stories.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
So for those on the receiving end and those doing the door to door missionary work do you have any amusing encounters to share?
I have a few.
Have you ever just slammed the door on a door to door? I have once. In my teens, just got home from clubbing, had like 2 hours before my shift and just wanted to die. A lady and a young man knocked on the door to sell me on some Christian congregation thing and I normally never do this but I was just too out of it. Slammed the door in their face.
A few years ago my cousin happened to pop by in the morning after a night out for a quick snack. As one does I suppose. (That’s a normal thing for us anyway.) He’s just gone to a local Rocky Horror showing and was still decked out, let’s just say. He’s a fairly burly guy.
Now I was expecting a package and so jumping in the shower told him to just answer the door if anyone shows up. Well the two poor little old lady JWs who happened to pick that morning to spread the Good Word were apparently quite traumatised lol.
Was staying with a friend back in high school one weekend. Got a door knock from some JWs. My friend who is half Spanish tried to get out of it by speaking to them in Spanish, claiming no English competency. Her father picked that time to ask who was at the door in English which she responded to in perfect freaking English. I couldn’t stop laughing.
(Disclaimer, this is all in good fun, guys)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
So for those on the receiving end and those doing the door to door missionary work do you have any amusing encounters to share?
I have a few.
Have you ever just slammed the door on a door to door? I have once. In my teens, just got home from clubbing, had like 2 hours before my shift and just wanted to die. A lady and a young man knocked on the door to sell me on some Christian congregation thing and I normally never do this but I was just too out of it. Slammed the door in their face.
A few years ago my cousin happened to pop by in the morning after a night out for a quick snack. As one does I suppose. (That’s a normal thing for us anyway.) He’s just gone to a local Rocky Horror showing and was still decked out, let’s just say. He’s a fairly burly guy.
Now I was expecting a package and so jumping in the shower told him to just answer the door if anyone shows up. Well the two poor little old lady JWs who happened to pick that morning to spread the Good Word were apparently quite traumatised lol.
Was staying with a friend back in high school one weekend. Got a door knock from some JWs. My friend who is half Spanish tried to get out of it by speaking to them in Spanish, claiming no English competency. Her father picked that time to ask who was at the door in English which she responded to in perfect freaking English. I couldn’t stop laughing.
(Disclaimer, this is all in good fun, guys)

In the UK we were continually getting disturbed by Jehovah's witnesses at family meal times (ok we eat at odd times but even so, family time is family time). After several such visits during which i politely asked them to go i decided to write a note "Please do not call at xxxxxxxxxx". Next time they knocked i handed them the note and asked that they pin it on their Kingdom Hall notice board. That worked for about a year.

Next time they knocked the sales pitch was, "would you like a free magazine with advice on looking after your health". The handed me a magazine in NHS (british health service) blue and white colours with 3 health related articles, newspaper style, on the front cover. They left. Opening the mag it turned out that just the front and back cover were printed, the inside covers were blank. The whole "sheet" of paper was a disguise for the watchtower.

I decided there and then that politeness is not warranted to fraudsters.

As it happens the area had just joined neighborhood watch, a couple of days later we received the introductory pack which contained a notice stating "No cold callers --- cold callers will be reported to the police". This was affixed to our front gate.

Next time we were disturbed i simply said, "did you read the sign on the gate, it applies to you too" i reached for the phone. They were off down the path as quick as their legs could carry them and had not been back for several years.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
In the UK we were continually getting disturbed by Jehovah's witnesses at family meal times (ok we eat at odd times but even so, family time is family time). After several such visits during which i politely asked them to go i decided to write a note "Please do not call at xxxxxxxxxx". Next time they knocked i handed them the note and asked that they pin it on their Kingdom Hall notice board. That worked for about a year.

Next time they knocked the sales pitch was, "would you like a free magazine with advice on looking after your health". The handed me a magazine in NHS (british health service) blue and white colours with 3 health related articles, newspaper style, on the front cover. They left. Opening the mag it turned out that just the front and back cover were printed, the inside covers were blank. The whole "sheet" of paper was a disguise for the watchtower.

I decided there and then that politeness is not warranted to fraudsters.

As it happens the area had just joined neighborhood watch, a couple of days later we received the introductory pack which contained a notice stating "No cold callers --- cold callers will be reported to the police". This was affixed to our front gate.

Next time we were disturbed i simply said, "did you read the sign on the gate, it applies to you too" i reached for the phone. They were off down the path as quick as their legs could carry them and had not been back for several years.
I swear some people don’t get the hint or are just too used to preaching, any means necessary. I remember I was working the front counter years ago. You know, some punk uni student hung over as hell trying to keep conversations going.
Most people gave a knowing wink and laughed.
“Typical teenager” they would say lightheartedly with a sigh and an eye roll.
There was a regular lady who would always come through on the weekend mornings. She would often lecture me on the ways of the evil world. And you know, being at work and under contract, I would smile and nod.
One day she came through and said to me, “Child, I will pray for you, Satan clearly has you in his grasp.”
And I’d already had a bad morning, I was so done.
So I turned around and I said,
“Thank you. But Satan will always be my number one. Praise be to the Devil.” Or something along those lines. She left in a huff. Even my manager laughed at that.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I swear some people don’t get the hint or are just too used to preaching, any means necessary. I remember I was working the front counter years ago. You know, some punk uni student hung over as hell trying to keep conversations going.
Most people gave a knowing wink and laughed.
“Typical teenager” they would say lightheartedly with a sigh and an eye roll.
There was a regular lady who would always come through on the weekend mornings. She would often lecture me on the ways of the evil world. And you know, being at work and under contract, I would smile and nod.
One day she came through and said to me, “Child, I will pray for you, Satan clearly has you in his grasp.”
And I’d already had a bad morning, I was so done.
So I turned around and I said,
“Thank you. But Satan will always be my number one. Praise be to the Devil.” Or something along those lines. She left in a huff. Even my manager laughed at that.

Whatever works is good