• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting dream

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
After a day of study I decided to sleep. I had a really fast dream and by fast it seemed instantaneous. An angel (or what it appeared to be an Angel appeared. The entity identified itself as one I suppose but it wasn't the angel that perplexes me, but when it identified itself by its name I immediately bowed...

I am not sure if in Islam dreams are interpreted as symbols or warnings but what do you guys think?

Father

Devourer of Truth
well, last I remember Humans are not supposed to bow to angels. Michael being the exception. as when one of the dudes in it cant remember which one bowed Michael didn't stop him. however in another verse when a man bowed to an angel the angel said to only bow to God at least if you pull from OT not sure how it is in the Qur'an but Humans are above them. so maybe it was Michael

zahra67

After a day of study I decided to sleep. I had a really fast dream and by fast it seemed instantaneous. An angel (or what it appeared to be an Angel appeared. The entity identified itself as one I suppose but it wasn't the angel that perplexes me, but when it identified itself by its name I immediately bowed...

I am not sure if in Islam dreams are interpreted as symbols or warnings but what do you guys think?
And when your Lord said to the angels, I am going to place in the earth a
khalif, they said: What! wilt Thou place in it such as shall make mischief in it
and shed blood, and we celebrate Thy praise and extol Thy holiness? He said:
Surely I know what you do not know.
And He taught Adam all the names, then presented them to the angels; then He
said: Tell me the names of those if you are right.. They said: Glory be to Thee! we have no knowledge but that which Thou hast
taught us; surely Thou art the Knowing, the Wise.
He said: O Adam! inform them of their names. Then when he had informed them
of their names, He said: Did I not say to you that I surely know what is ghaib
in the heavens and the earth and [that] I know what you manifest and what you
hide?
And when We said to the angels: Make obeisance to Adam they did obeisance,
but Iblis [did it not]. He refused and he was proud, and he was one of the
unbelievers.
And We said: O Adam! Dwell you and your wife in the garden and eat from it a
plenteous [food] wherever you wish and do not approach this tree, for then you
will be of the unjust.
But the Shaitan made them both fall from it, and caused them to depart from
that [state] in which they were; and We said: Get forth, some of you being the
enemies of others, and there is for you in the earth an abode and a provision
for a time.
Then Adam received [some] words from his Lord, so He turned to him
mercifully; surely He is Oft-returning [to mercy], the Merciful.
We said: Go forth from this [state] all; so surely there will come to you a
guidance from Me, then whoever follows My guidance, no fear shall come upon
them, nor shall they grieve.

from the authentic narrations which we have, we believe that the worlds that God thought to adam to accept his repentance, is the name of prophet Mohammad, imam ali, hazrat fatimah, imam hasan and imam husayn (blessings of Allah upon them)
we resort to them when we call our lord for our needs and praying.
God bless you.

zahra67

if we resorts to the Holy Quran and Ahl al- Bayt, we will never go astray nor will our life be wasted.
Both Shiite and Sunni scholars have reported the following narration, reported by the Holy Prophet:
إنِّي تَارِكٌ فِيكُمْ مَا إنْ تَمَسَّكْتُمْ بِهِ لَنْ تَضِلُّوا بَعدي:أحَدُهُمَا أعْظَمُ مِنَ الأَخَرِ، كِتاَبَ الًّلهِ، حَبلٌ مَمْدُودٌ مِنَ السًّماءِ إلَى الأرْضِ، وَعِتْرَتِي أهْلَ بَيْتِي،وَلَنْ يَفْتَرِقَا حَتَّى يَرِدَا عَليَّ الْحَوْضَ،فَانْظُرُوا كَيْفَ تُخَلَّفُونِّي فِيهِما.
Verily, I am leaving among you two valuable things. You will not go astray after me as long as you adhere to them. One is greater than the other. They are the Book of Allah, which is a rope stretched from the heavens to the earth, and my Household. They will never separate from one another until they come to me at the Pond. Be careful how you deal with them after me.

Sakeenah

Hi,

Interesting dream!

In Islam dreams can be of three types

1. rahmaani :those that come from Allaah. These can be glad tiding,guidance or a warning. I think you were referring to this, it's possible your dream has a meaning.

2. nafsaani:psychological, they come from within a person. For example you have been thinking about something the entire day, and you dream about it.

3. shaytaani :those that come from the Shaytaan, mostly nightmares.

This is based on the hadith from the prophet muhammad in which he said
"Dreams are of three types: a dream from Allaah, a dream which causes distress and which comes from the Shaytaan, and a dream which comes from what a person thinks about when he is awake, and he sees it when he is asleep.” (al-Bukhaari, 6499; Muslim, 4200)

Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “If any one of you sees a dream that he likes, this is from Allaah, so let him praise Allaah for it and talk about it to others. If he sees other than that, a dream that he dislikes, this is from the Shaytaan, so let him seek refuge with Allaah from its evil and not mention it to anyone, for it will not harm him.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 6584, and Muslim, 5862).

We believe that the dreams of the Prophets are revelation and they are protected from the Shaytaan. For example the dream that prophet Yusuf(joseph) had and Abraham peace be upon them both.
The dreams of people other than the Prophets are to be examined in the light of the clear revelation( the Qur’aan and Sunnah). If they are in accordance with the Qur’aan and Sunnah, all well and good. otherwise,we as muslims don't act upon it.

Here are a few examples of a few symbols and meaning

Imaam al-Baghawi said:

Know that the interpretation of dreams falls into various categories. Dreams may be interpreted in the light of the Qur’aan or in the light of the Sunnah, or by means of the proverbs that are current among people, or by names and metaphors, or in terms of opposites. (Sharh al-Sunnah, 12/220)

He gave examples of this, such as:

Interpretation in the light of the Qur’aan: such as a rope meaning a covenant, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And hold fast, all of you together, to the Rope of Allaah…” [Aal ‘Imraan 3:103]

Interpretation in the light of the Sunnah: such as the crow representing an immoral man (faasiq), because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) called it such.

Interpretation by means of proverbs: such a digging a hole meaning a plot, because people say “Whoever digs a hole will fall in it.”

Interpretation by means of names: such as seeing a man called Raashid meaning wisdom.

Interpretation by means of opposites: such as fear meaning safety, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And He will surely give them in exchange a safe security after their fear” [al-Noor 24:55]

There are actually quite a few books on dream interpretations in Islam. There's one book in English which I would recommend it also mentions some of the symbols. If you're interested let me know and I'll post the link.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
well, last I remember Humans are not supposed to bow to angels. Michael being the exception. as when one of the dudes in it cant remember which one bowed Michael didn't stop him. however in another verse when a man bowed to an angel the angel said to only bow to God at least if you pull from OT not sure how it is in the Qur'an but Humans are above them. so maybe it was Michael

The feeling was not bowing to the entity itself but more of a salutation and praise of God. It was one of those things where you are saying it without saying it. I felt it was good.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I remember the angel said "I came from God" I just bowed just as Muslims bowed that is why I am posting in Islam DIR. I don't know it is telling me something lol
And when your Lord said to the angels, I am going to place in the earth a
khalif, they said: What! wilt Thou place in it such as shall make mischief in it
and shed blood, and we celebrate Thy praise and extol Thy holiness? He said:
Surely I know what you do not know.
And He taught Adam all the names, then presented them to the angels; then He
said: Tell me the names of those if you are right.. They said: Glory be to Thee! we have no knowledge but that which Thou hast
taught us; surely Thou art the Knowing, the Wise.
He said: O Adam! inform them of their names. Then when he had informed them
of their names, He said: Did I not say to you that I surely know what is ghaib
in the heavens and the earth and [that] I know what you manifest and what you
hide?
And when We said to the angels: Make obeisance to Adam they did obeisance,
but Iblis [did it not]. He refused and he was proud, and he was one of the
unbelievers.
And We said: O Adam! Dwell you and your wife in the garden and eat from it a
plenteous [food] wherever you wish and do not approach this tree, for then you
will be of the unjust.
But the Shaitan made them both fall from it, and caused them to depart from
that [state] in which they were; and We said: Get forth, some of you being the
enemies of others, and there is for you in the earth an abode and a provision
for a time.
Then Adam received [some] words from his Lord, so He turned to him
mercifully; surely He is Oft-returning [to mercy], the Merciful.
We said: Go forth from this [state] all; so surely there will come to you a
guidance from Me, then whoever follows My guidance, no fear shall come upon
them, nor shall they grieve.

from the authentic narrations which we have, we believe that the worlds that God thought to adam to accept his repentance, is the name of prophet Mohammad, imam ali, hazrat fatimah, imam hasan and imam husayn (blessings of Allah upon them)
we resort to them when we call our lord for our needs and praying.
God bless you.

If you don't mind can you just be direct and discuss the dream?

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Yes, in Islam dreams are interpreted and this was highlighted in the Quran in chapter 12 "Yosef/Joseph". This is the only chapter in the Quran narrated as a story rather than the usual scattered concentrated informations with the rest of chapters, and speaks of various dreams and its interpretations.

Anyhow, for your dream, even the most expert in dreams interpretations won't be able to get it right 100% but they can give you pointers since it's all about your feelings and life situation before the dream and also what you have felt within the dream itself.

Bowing (in the way Muslims do) usually in dreams signify obedience, acceptance or repentance depending of course on what was going with you in your life, your hopes, your worries, even incidents occurring prior to dreaming.

Now, i'm no expert, but from the little i know about dream interpretations, since you bowed to a person whom you figured was an angel, and wasn't general bowing while you are alone, so that could mean you have somehow accepted, respected or acknowledged what he came with/for.

And ofcourse Allah knows best.

Peace
Tashan