• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting correlation between God and light in major world religions...

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Certainly not by using reason or beliefs about teachings. It's easy to fool the mind. So relying on "scriptures" isn't the key.

Again, from the Bible, we see that the devil is a mimic. "Scripture" is what God had recorded by his 'secretaries' for the ongoing instruction of his people. He did not give these instructions to anyone else. Those who wanted to worship Israel's God, had to become a member of his nation....to live as Jews lived and to worship as Jews worshipped.

The devil has used his 'secretaries' in writing "scripture" too. People will take from those 'scriptures' whatever they wish. As an "angel of light" don't expect the writings to display his true colours....it will be disguised as beneficial to the devotees, but still directed to other gods. That is his whole agenda. He does not care what faith or god a person follows, as long as it's not the "true God" (John 17:3)

Just look how many different opinions about them there are. There must be some other way, such as looking at the fruit that is borne in actions, regardless of structures of beliefs. This is what Jesus taught. "You shall know them by their fruits," not their theologies.

I agree....it's not the scriptures themselves that make the difference, but how they are interpreted and implemented. Also it's amazing to me what people ignore for their own convenience....deftly justified.

Certainly not by well-craftered theological arguments. If Jesus said he saw more faith in a Roman Centurion then all the religious folks of Israel, it's obviously not about what religion they follow, supposedly following the "right one". That's really the core of what Jesus teaches.

Remembering the background of Jesus' ministry, it is not hard to see why he found so few of his countrymen who were willing to listen to his message. Strict adherence to God's law was stressed to the point that the Pharisees' rigidly ridiculous interpretation of the law made it almost impossible for many Jews to live up to it, so they just gave up. This is why Jesus was sent, not to the religious leaders (whom he said were incorrigible, fit only for "Gehenna") but to the "lost sheep of the house of Israel". They were "lost" because of the rotten "fruits" of those negligent shepherds. Only those with the right heart responded to Jesus and changed their whole attitude of Jewish superiority and their difficulty in maintaining this position under the domination of a foreign world power......and these were taught to adjust their view to reflect the kind of humility that Jesus showed them. He also showed them how to deal with the political situation by not opposing it, but by waiting on God to rectify it in his own time and way.

Jesus did demonstrate that it's by a person's actions in obedience to the law of love, rather than a misinterpreted code, that a person demonstrates their faith even in the small things.

In the big things, you will never see them meddling in politics ("no part of the world") or participating in bloodshed, ("love your enemies") even by tacit support. Christians cannot be patriots whose loyalty to their nation can be exploited, but they must be model citizens, obeying the laws of the land that do not contravene the laws of God.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
I give to animal shelters and rescue organizations? Prompting someone to donate time and money to a homeless shelter or a veterans' shelter? Giving a couple of $20s to a person sleeping on a subway grate?

Those are great things to do! Extending compassion and care to the less fortunate and weak....that is actually part of worship to God. -- James 1:27

Why would the devil entice someone to give to charities and help others?

2 Corinthians 11:13-14. Why would Satan support acting this way? Because he is deceitful...what people may view as a good spiritual path, actually teaches false doctrines (like hellfire, etc) that lead away from Jehovah God. Jesus implied something similar at Matthew 7:22-23. (Ask yourself, 'where would these ones get this power?' Even seeming to "expel demons"....or so they thought / think.)

Take care.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
When you consider that light is the sun, warmth, summer and growth, and that during the day time is when nocturnal predators are not as active, it's really not surprising that so many religions do associate light with good and god.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Why would Satan support acting this way? Because he is deceitful...

It seems to me, then, that he’s shooting himself in the foot. If he leads me to do the very things Jesus said to do, he’s not very clever.

The Anointed

Enoch the true one year old sacrificial lamb of God, who was carried to the throne of the MOST HIGH in the creation, at the age of 365, the number of days in a calendar year, and anointed as the successor to that throne and was translated into a spiritual being carrying the Name; (The Lesser Jehovah) or the son of JHWH, who descended from his heights in time and filled the man Jesus with his spirit, has this to say in his book, 'Enoch the Prophet.'

108: 11-13; "And now I will summon the spirits of the good who belong to the generation of light, and I will transform those who were born in darkness, who, in the flesh were not recompensed with such honor as their faithfulness deserved. [12] And I shall bring forth in shining light those who have loved MY Holy name, and I will seat each one on the throne of his honor. [13] And they shall be resplendent for times without number, etc."

These are the new life forms, who evolve from mankind [The Son of Man] who are the MOST HIGH in the creation and who will dwell on earth among mankind.

1 Corinthians 15: 50-54; I declare to you, brothers and sisters, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable. Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all fall asleep in desath, but we will be changed- in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. For the perishable must clothe itself with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality. When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: "Death has been swallowed up in victory."

It was the prophet Zephaniah through whom the Lord said; "I am going to destroy everything 'ON EARTH', All human beings and animals, birds and fish. I will bring about the downfall of the wicked. I will destroy mankind and no survivors will be left. I the Lord have spoken. . . . . . . . . "On the day when the Lord shows his fury, not even all their gold and silver will save them. The whole 'EARTH' will be destroyed by the fire of his anger. He will put an end----a sudden end----to everyone who lives 'ON EARTH.' "

This happens after the Great Sabbath, the thousand year rule of Christ, when heavenly fire incinerates all physical life forms on this planet.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
No, I am not. Matthew 25:40-45

This scripture is about the final judgment where Jesus "separates the sheep from the goats". Since the sheep are those who have assisted Christ's "brothers" and the "goats" are not, this determines their classification.
So you have three different groups mentioned here; two are judged by how they treated Christ's "brothers".

We first have to identify who Christ's "brothers" are and who it is that is supporting them in their trials. Then it becomes clear who is NOT supporting them, and who is even opposing them.

This is not just humanitarianism...it is actions carried out because these are Christ's 'brothers'.

Which is what prompts caring for one's neighbor. It's certainly not love for the devil that does it. Atheists and non-theists have their own motivations. I'm speaking strictly about theists.

Please don't confuse Matthew 25:40-45 with Luke 10:30-37. (The Good Samaritan)
Love of neighbor is incumbent on all regardless of nationality or creed.

Matthew 25 goes deeper than that. Jesus said to his apostles.....

Whoever receives you receives me also, and whoever receives me receives also the One who sent me. 41 Whoever receives a prophet because he is a prophet will get a prophet’s reward, and whoever receives a righteous man because he is a righteous man will get a righteous man’s reward. 42 And whoever gives one of these little ones only a cup of cold water to drink because he is a disciple, I tell you truly, he will by no means lose his reward." (Matthew 10:40-42)

So it requires an acknowledgment that the one being assisted is a disciple of Christ and their action is therefore motivated by love for the God who sent him.

"Righteousness" is a term used often in scripture.....The Hebrew tseʹdheq and tsedha·qahʹ as well as the Greek di·kai·o·syʹne have the thought of “rectitude,” “uprightness,” indicating a standard or norm determining what is upright according to God's standards. Those of the Gentile nations who heard the Christian message had to leave their former worship behind to become a disciple of Christ. No one was permitted to bring in their own ideas or to alter Christ's teachings to suit themselves. But as foretold, once the apostles died, that is exactly what happened.

So we have selfish interests in giving a few bucks, or a meal from a diner to the homeless guy on the street? I certainly don't.

Please don't put words in my mouth. Humanitarian efforts, no matter how large or small are to be commended....as Jesus' illustration of the Good Samaritan highlights. It is our obligation as humans to demonstrate fellow feeling for one another no matter what barriers, real or imagined, exist. But the separation of the sheep from the goats is not about humanitarianism.

The Bible is not a book to be read superficially. The treasure is hidden and requires a lot of digging to find the gems. Those who care will put in the effort....the effort will be rewarded if it is rightly motivated.

It most certainly is. We'll have to agree to disagree here because I for one do not believe that it's only obedience to God's commandments, which btw my God does not make commandments or give orders, that prompts someone to "do the right thing".

If you have made you choice about your god(s), then go in peace. We can agree to disagree because it isn't up to me to judge anyone. We each have the freedom to choose who we will serve, of our own God-given free will.

The only reason why God gave Israel a lengthy set of rules was because of the sin (propensity to do the wrong thing and make bad decisions) inherited from Adam. If you go back to the garden of Eden, there was only one law....and they couldn't even keep that one when selfish interests were invoked. Deception is not obvious to anyone until after the deception is exposed and usually after people are hurt. The Bible is an advance warning system about our common deceiver.....but who is listening? :shrug:

So what are God's laws?

Unlike Israel, Christians are not under the Mosaic Law and its "old covenant". Christ instituted a "new covenant" with only two laws.....

In Matthew 22: 34-40.....
"After the Pharisees heard that he had silenced the Sadducees, they came together in one group. 35 And one of them, versed in the Law, tested him by asking: 36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?37 He said to him: “‘You must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart and with your whole soul and with your whole mind.’ 38 This is the greatest and first commandment. 39 The second, like it, is this: ‘You must love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 On these two commandments the whole Law hangs, and the Prophets.”

The whole of the Mosaic Law was founded on these two, so if you break one, you break them all.

Who is the "true God" and why? Maybe the devil is deluding people into believing that, yes? And if not, why not?

If you understand that there are only two "gods" competing for human worship, and only one is the "true God" and the other a "wannabe" who operates under many different names and belief systems.....then you can understand why God allows us the choice. He has used the rebellion in Eden to test all of us, allowing the devil to do his best to sidetrack us in any way he chooses. Only those with a genuine love of the true God will travel the "cramped and narrow road" because it is in human nature to take the path of least resistance. (Matthew 7:13-14)

You have to truly love God and appreciate why he sent Jesus....why Jesus had to suffer....and why we too have to suffer in a world handed over to the devil for this testing. According to Jesus "few" are on this cramped and narrow road"......'cramped' because absolute freedom is not permitted on this path. There are restrictions that some find intolerable. It is 'narrow' because the law of love does not allow for selfishness, greed, hatred, immorality or violence.....the world under satan's control, thrives on all of these. (1 John 2:15-17; 1 John 5:19)

So, God gave us free will and intelligence but yet we need commandments to "do the right thing"? o_O

Understanding what happened at the beginning......how and why God has conducted himself in the intervening period...and how he brings it all to a predicted conclusion is all contained in just one book. Only that book will appeal to a heart that God has "drawn" to understand its message and Christ's part in it. (John 6:44)

When I was growing up in Christendom, there was never any reasonable explanations about any of it. Asking the hard questions was often met with blank stares and an inference that one's faith was lacking. I have been a questioner all my life and my connection to God and respect for his word never wavered, despite what the church was teaching that made absolutely no sense.

I had bits of a jigsaw puzzle but did not know how to fit them together....until I met Jehovah's Witnesses, who gave me their time and attention in answering all my questions, none of which met with a blank stare but with many Bible verses explaining it all so simply. The answers were there all all along, but Christendom is such a mish-mash of confusion that they never quite get any of it to make sense.
The 'good people going to heaven and the bad people going to hell' was never in the original scenario at all.....no wonder nothing made sense! I can't describe the freedom! I was unshackled for the first time, knowing that an angry God was never going to send me, or any of my family to an eternal hell of fiery torment.

In the work that Jesus assigned his disciples to do until his return, I do not see any of Christendom's churches following through on it. It was to be a global preaching and disciple-making work that would continue right up to the end of this wicked world, now, we believe, in its death throes. (Matthew 24:14)

We believe that the time is coming soon when our message will change.....the door of opportunity will be closed, just like the door of the ark was closed, not by man, but by God. (Matthew 24:37-39)

We all have the same choices and they will determine our eternal future. That is what I believe the Bible's message is.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
It seems to me, then, that he’s shooting himself in the foot. If he leads me to do the very things Jesus said to do, he’s not very clever.

He is way more clever than you think.....God is not just interested in what you do, but what motivates you to do it.

The difference between a good Christian and a good humanitarian is love for the true God as your motivation.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
There have been peculiar periodic spectral modulations apparently detected in a small fraction of solar type stars observed in a Fourier transform analysis of 2.5 million spectra in the Sloan Digital Sky Survey where there is rapidly pulsed apparent artificial light signals detected around 234 out of all the many numerous surveyed Sun-like stars.

Reference:
Discovery of peculiar periodic spectral modulations in a small fraction of solar type stars
E.F. Borra, E. Trottier
(Submitted on 10 Oct 2016)

Discovery of peculiar periodic spectral modulations in a small...

Last edited:

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
If he leads me to do the very things Jesus said to do

No, I did not mean to imply you. Your motives, I'm sure, are because you genuinely care. You're acting on your compassion (as we all should), and expect nothing back.

But there are those who represent institutions, that do want recognition and money.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
He is way more clever than you think.....God is not just interested in what you do, but what motivates you to do it.

The difference between a good Christian and a good humanitarian is love for the true God as your motivation.

Who or what is the true God, and what is the proof of it? Why is your God any more true than mine, or an Ástrúar’s, or the Great Spirit, or that person’s or this person’s? Because the Bible says so? Nuh uh, my scriptures say so also; the Eddas say so also... it goes on.

dfnj

I have come across some observations which depict an interesting correlation between God and light in the major world religions....

In Hinduism, the Vedas and Hindu scriptures considers the Shivalinga as representing a cosmic pillar of light. The Dharmic monotheistic sect the Prajapita Brahmakumaris consider God to be a point of light. The Upanishads and enlightened masters have also described Brahman to be self-luminous.

In Islam, Allah has 100 name's, and one of them is Alnoor ( the Light).

“God is light,” says 1 John 1:5, in the Bible in Christianity.

In Judaism, Psalm 76:4 says of God, “You are radiant with light.”

So this correlation between God and light, is a common denominator in these four major world religions.

Imo, the fire worship in Zoroastrianism may be illustrating this correlation between God (Ahura Mazda ) and light as well,light being emitted by the fire.

I would say this may provide more proof that the major world religions are identical in their core, with only superficial differences on the outside creating cause for extremism and conflict. If you find any further proofs or evidences in this regard, please do share it here.

Thanking in advance.
MsBAFRyEfODmoqBQKBzI.gif

I love comparative religion studies:

When you study the roots of other people religions and traditions you have better insight and appreciation into your own.

dfnj

So this correlation between God and light, is a common denominator in these four major world religions.

I would say this may provide more proof that the major world religions are identical in their core, with only superficial differences on the outside creating cause for extremism and conflict. If you find any further proofs or evidences in this regard, please do share it here.

Thanking in advance.
MsBAFRyEfODmoqBQKBzI.gif

It has to do with the idea of having a trinity. The idea of forms or word of God. And the idea of God's energy causing movement in the World.

Think of it like the Yin, Yang, and the Tao. In Taoism, there is a saying: From the one come the two, from the two come the three, and from the three come the 10,000 things.

You have light, dark, and the Holy Spirit making it all move. Most religions have some form or appreciation for the Unity of opposites:

Unity of opposites - Wikipedia

whirlingmerc

I have come across some observations which depict an interesting correlation between God and light in the major world religions....

In Hinduism, the Vedas and Hindu scriptures considers the Shivalinga as representing a cosmic pillar of light. The Dharmic monotheistic sect the Prajapita Brahmakumaris consider God to be a point of light. The Upanishads and enlightened masters have also described Brahman to be self-luminous.

In Islam, Allah has 100 name's, and one of them is Alnoor ( the Light).

“God is light,” says 1 John 1:5, in the Bible in Christianity.

In Judaism, Psalm 76:4 says of God, “You are radiant with light.”

Imo, the fire worship in Zoroastrianism may be illustrating this correlation between God (Ahura Mazda ) and light as well,light being emitted by the fire.

Thanking in advance.
MsBAFRyEfODmoqBQKBzI.gif

As one apostle said, 'Satan can appear as an angel of light' so beware fo superficial claims

ajay0

From my own study of scripture over many years, I see the devil portrayed as a master deceiver. If he can present himself as "an angel of light" and sidetrack people off onto a different path by offering them a better deal, then he has them. This is what happened in Eden and humans have been falling for this trick ever since.

Just like the Pied Piper....if the devil plays a tune that appeals to something in us that makes us feel good about ourselves...or who presents an alternative way that takes away guilt or alleviates responsibility to do certain things that we don't want to do, then who are we worshipping? Ourselves under the guise of a god, created by the devil.
His greatest deception I believe, is to make people believe that he does not exist.

Jesus did say "by their fruits" we would recognize his true disciples. So what are we looking at? What are the "fruits" that a worshipper of the true God should display? How many gods are there really? How many did Jesus say there were?...and what qualities should a worshipper of the true God display? The is a list but the majority only do what is least required of them. Its human nature though, isn't it?

As one apostle said, 'Satan can appear as an angel of light' so beware fo superficial claims

Okay, I confess. I am the king of demons, Satan Himself. :smilingimp:

I admire and appreciate your remarkable intellectual brilliance in figuring me out. :clapping:

Do understand that as a professional demon, I intend to carry out my unholy mission to completion of corrupting all christians and muslims, especially the JW's and bring them to the dark side.

It is all purely professional, and nothing personal. Hope you guys understand this, and allow me to do my job without any hindrances.

As the saying goes, 'To understand all is to forgive all.'

When Jesus stated one ought to forgive all, he also meant forgiving the Devil Himself too, imho.

Btw, I was born on 6-6-66. Hope you keep this a secret.:smilingimp:

Last edited:

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Who or what is the true God, and what is the proof of it? Why is your God any more true than mine, or an Ástrúar’s, or the Great Spirit, or that person’s or this person’s? Because the Bible says so? Nuh uh, my scriptures say so also; the Eddas say so also... it goes on.

From my perspective, after studying the Bible and other belief systems over many years, there is no comparison for me. As I keep saying, it's our choice, based on what we want to believe and what we expect God to be. We all have our own reasons for finding one belief system above all others as "the one" for us.

The true God only needs us to decide, based on what is the real reason for our choice....even we may be unaware of it, but it tells him all he needs to know in order to place us in one of only two categories. If you are certain that you have found the true God, then what more can be said?

Everyone will be where they have placed themselves by their own choices at the end of the day. So let's all hope that we have met the criteria whilst undergoing this greatest of all object lessons.

The true God leaves all our decisions up to us. He will not force anyone to worship him, or even to believe in him.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Okay, I confess. I am the king of demons, Satan Himself. :smilingimp:

I admire and appreciate your remarkable intellectual brilliance in figuring me out. :clapping:

Oh, the commander of many minions eh? I thought there was something sinister about you.... :D

As the saying goes, 'To understand all is to forgive all.'

When Jesus stated one ought to forgive all, he also meant forgiving the Devil Himself too, imho.

In order to forgive, there has to be a basis. There is no basis to forgive someone who has no excuse and who displays no repentance. Who told you otherwise?

Btw, I was born on 6-6-66. Hope you keep this a secret.:smilingimp:

Jokes aside....you didn't answer my questions. o_O

If you stake your life on something, then you should be able to defend it.

Foundations are what makes a building stable, so if the foundation of our belief system is weak (built on sand, as Jesus said) then in the "storm" that is coming according to the Bible, it will not stand. Belief requires faith, but it also requires evidence otherwise it is blind. Blind faith is not based on a strong foundation....it is simply what we want to believe for our own reasons.

So, how confident are we that what we believe is the truth? Only we can answer that.

ajay0

From my perspective, after studying the Bible and other belief systems over many years, there is no comparison for me. As I keep saying, it's our choice, based on what we want to believe and what we expect God to be. We all have our own reasons for finding one belief system above all others as "the one" for us.

The true God only needs us to decide, based on what is the real reason for our choice....even we may be unaware of it, but it tells him all he needs to know in order to place us in one of only two categories. If you are certain that you have found the true God, then what more can be said?

Everyone will be where they have placed themselves by their own choices at the end of the day. So let's all hope that we have met the criteria whilst undergoing this greatest of all object lessons.

The true God leaves all our decisions up to us. He will not force anyone to worship him, or even to believe in him.

This is the comparative religions forums, where the focus is friendly discussion of the diverse scripture, myth, ideologies, ethics, rituals, experiences, institutions, and material culture of the world's religions. There is no space for debate on the similarities or differences. If you want to debate, do that in the religious debate forums.

ajay0

In the Dharmic religious perspective, the Devil or Satan is described as Maya/Mara, which stands for the psychological impressions or vasanas in one's own mind that promotes desires in the form of cravings and aversions,and which are of a diabolical nature, especially when they transcend virtuous or proper conduct for the sake of transitory pleasures.

It is not an actual person or demon, but one's own mind that is the source of negativity.

"Monks, I know not of any other single thing that brings such woe as the mind that is untamed, uncontrolled, unguarded and unrestrained. Such a mind indeed brings great woe.

"Monks, I know not of any other single thing that brings such bliss as the mind that is tamed, controlled, guarded and restrained. Such a mind indeed brings great bliss." - Buddha (Anguttara Nikaya)

I have also noticed that too much focus on the devil or satan as an external entity, creates paranoia, fear and weak-mindedness resulting in lack of clear thinking and improper actions. Some even use such fear as an instrument for social conditioning and to keep the flock disciplined.

It also destroys one's sense of responsibility and character, as upon committing a crime, one states that the devil compelled him to do it, rather than the fact that his or her lack of self-discipline and character is the actual culprit. Such evasion of responsibility and excuse finding results in further weakness of character and conduct which acts as a vicious circle perpetuating errors.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
This is the comparative religions forums, where the focus is friendly discussion of the diverse scripture, myth, ideologies, ethics, rituals, experiences, institutions, and material culture of the world's religions. There is no space for debate on the similarities or differences. If you want to debate, do that in the religious debate forums.

OK, so let's compare.....

My questions were in response to what you said about the "fruits" of true worship......

I said...."Jesus did say "by their fruits" we would recognize his true disciples. So what are we looking at? What are the "fruits" that a worshipper of the true God should display? How many gods are there really? How many did Jesus say there were?...and what qualities should a worshipper of the true God display? There is a list but the majority only do what is least required of them. Its human nature though, isn't it?"

So, from your perspective, how does what you believe compare to what I believe and on what basis do you accept it as truth? Not debating...just asking.