• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interested

Boethiah

Penguin
I have been doing some reading into the whole idea of the New Age religion, and it has interested me greatly. Some of the concepts that are involved with it I agree with very much (pantheism, monism, the idea of spiritual oneness) but I am still a little confused, and I am not sure how to articulate this confusion.

A lot of the major concepts I agree with, but a lot of the practices I am ignorant and weary of (open to new things though). The only thing I really understand is Astrology, and it is a very vague understanding.

How does the typical "New Ager" (or someone who incorporates the ideas into their belief system) feel about things like tarot cards, hypnosis, karma, divination, etc?

I really need a simple, yet comprehensive explanation into this belief system. It is a wide one, and I'm not sure if what I've asked is easy or not. I have a deep yearning to know more, and I could use some help! :)

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
I think while we have plenty of 'Pagans' here, we really don't seem to have 'New Agers' per say.

brbubba

Underling
I think it's pretty much open in terms of what you do and don't believe in. Here's my take, although I'm not the biggest New Ager out there.

Tarot Card: Can potentially be used by psychics as a resource tool, however, truly gifted psychics don't use tarot cards.

Hypnosis: Obviously a believer, but what specifically about hypnosis? I think it can be used to plant suggestions, but cannot make you some zombie to be commanded. I've read a book or two about it, but I'm iffy on past life regression through hypnosis. It is an interesting proposition and would need further research on my part.

Karma: I fully believe in Karma, that positive actions return positive action upon you. I don't know if I believe it in the Hindi or Buddhist sense. That being said though, the new age sense of Karma isn't that far of a mental leap, as people react to your positivity in a real time sense. In the longer run, I do think there is retribution for negative acts down the road, but I can't articulate how, when or why.

Divination: I somewhat buy into the concept of divination, but the tribal traditionalist sense seems like such a run around to something so much simpler and more direct like a psychic. Although the truly talented psychics you might say are diviners of truth and, in a way, draw on aspects of divination.

Here are some other ones from this page, New Age - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Age of Aquarius/2012: I truly have no clue. It's a nice fantasy to think there will be a world wide awakening, but I can't say. I've reviewed the evidence of 2012 and while it is an ending date for the Mayan calendar, there seems to be little evidence to indicate anything world changing happening. In general I do think many people are moving this direction, but then I see thousands upon thousands that just don't have the slightest clue and are still trapped in their old ways.

Astrology: I do think there is some truth to astrology, but I would never base my entire life around it. I would also be very reluctant to take it at anything more than face value. As a tool to understanding yourself it may be helpful, but no more so than deep introspection.

Teleology: Yes, I fully believe that everything is connected and that, to some degree, the future is preordained for us. The key is really trying to find that path for ourselves. Yes, there is a purpose for you and discovering that purpose should be paramount to your life. Coincidences are usually not coincidences, although trying to sort through the important ones and the silly ones can be difficult.

Indigo Children: I believe that there are special people or children out there, but I think this term is subject to abuse. Furthermore most new age philosophies buy into the idea that we are all special, so either "special" isn't the right word or it's simply trying to classify children with certain abilities. Part of the problem with this term is that it's so vague when people try to define it. Well how do you tell your child is an Indigo? How is that actually "special" vs everyone else?

Homeopathy: I think this is placeo effect at work, which is a powerful and valid effect. However, the concept that dilution of a substance to the point where it no longer exists in the dilution is scientifically absurd. Until there is even any shred of proof for this I have to chalk it up to placebo effect.

Reiki: I think there might be something to this, but it could be again placebo effect. I've never personally done it so I can't say.

Accupuncture/Chiropracty: Both placebo effects. Accupuncture has been shown to be equally effective when you use random points. And there is no scientific evidence that you can manipulate the spin in a permanent way through contorting the body. Chiropracty can actually be dangerous and no one should ever have their neck cracked.

Most of the new age practices are heavily placebo effect, which I don't think is necessarily a bad thing, but people should be aware of the science behind these things.

Boethiah

Penguin
So New Age religion is more of an umbrella term for several different new or revived alternatives to spirituality?

brbubba

Underling
So New Age religion is more of an umbrella term for several different new or revived alternatives to spirituality?

I would simply say it's a massively vague umbrella term. I don't think of it as a spiritual or religious term simply because it is so vague. I think of it as more of an overall blanket term for some alternative lifestyles.

intrepidlover

I should be able to answer this as well as anyone. I first encountered the New Age in the mid-late 1960s when members were mostly adults of mature age. They were kind-hearted folk but mostly with no solid grounding in any serious religious or metaphysical knowledge. They believed anything and everything, especially material that was "channeled" -- from some supra physical being.

One kindly man was continuing the work started by his deceased wife. This including importing and selling books by Murdo Macdonald-Bayne. This author was not associated with New Age at all, but his books are most enlightening.

I had already read his best known and most important book, "Beyond the Himalayas," which was loaned to me by my maternal grandmother. Looking back, I think the most useful thing I learned from my early association with these New Agers was Zen Macrobiotics which, if the key is understood, makes sense of all dietary theories.

During this period my wife started channeling -- supposedly from some high spiritual sources. We used these messages to make decisions in our joint life, but too late I realized that these "revelations" were filtered through my wife's subconscious mind, and thus expressed her desires. Endeavouring to follow these messages was a primary cause of the break-up of our marriage.

And so I learned the hard way to be very skeptical of anything that was channeled. This included Urantia Book and Oahspe Bible -- two quite large books which each attracted a following.

I now leap ahead to the 1980s when the New Age movement had been hijacked by hippies and was followed mainly by young people. I worked for a time in a New Age bookshop. I found some of the younger folk placed undue emphasis on astrology. But everything and almost anything was sold at this bookshop including crystals, wind chimes, meditation music, incense, and books on a wide variety of subjects about comparative religion, mysticism, occult, healing methods etc. etc.

After a time it dawned on me that these New Agers were obsessed with illness. The most popular books were methods (mostly old but some new) for healing physical, emotional, mental and spiritual problems.

I could go on and on but would prefer to address specific questions. This is my first post at this website so I hope I haven't frightened anyone off with this long personal rave. But I truly can speak about New Age from a personal experience spanning half a century.

Angel1

Angel
I have been doing some reading into the whole idea of the New Age religion, and it has interested me greatly. Some of the concepts that are involved with it I agree with very much (pantheism, monism, the idea of spiritual oneness) but I am still a little confused, and I am not sure how to articulate this confusion.

A lot of the major concepts I agree with, but a lot of the practices I am ignorant and weary of (open to new things though). The only thing I really understand is Astrology, and it is a very vague understanding.

How does the typical "New Ager" (or someone who incorporates the ideas into their belief system) feel about things like tarot cards, hypnosis, karma, divination, etc?

I really need a simple, yet comprehensive explanation into this belief system. It is a wide one, and I'm not sure if what I've asked is easy or not. I have a deep yearning to know more, and I could use some help! :)

Just some thoughts that hopefully might help everyone:

The most complicated ideas can become easier to understand when we relate them to ordinary, everyday occurrences in our world.

What is the meaning of life? What is the purpose of life on Earth? Who are we, really, and what is our true nature? The New Age offers simple explanations. Life is a never-ending journey to spirit perfection. Earth is just one of many classrooms where we go to learn and develop ourselves. We are spirit beings, created by God in His image and likeness, endowed with every potentiality to become like our Father God, destined to attain to perfection through our own exertions, through the application of the twin principles of reincarnation and karma.

As in our studies of Earthly things, because of the vastness of the subject matters we will be covering, they have to be broken down into small, easily learned bits and pieces. In learning language, we study our ABCs, then we learn words and phrases. We form sentences and put them in sequence to tell a complete story or prepare a report. So do we have to undergo programmed and progressive spiritual lessons to bring us forward in our spiritual development – the material aspects first before the more spiritual.

In place of grades or levels, we are introduced to the concept of Rounds and Root-Races. Periods of study can be divided into ages. This New Age or Age of Aquarius is just one of many study periods. This latest, however, is characterized by our increasing awareness of the divine and a deeper knowledge of Truth. An age of enlightenment in place of the suffering and darkness of the past.

In the surviving religions, we are first taught about our true self which is Hinduism. To provide a way to attain to self-realization which is the goal of Hinduism, Buddhism teaches the Middle Way, the more practical path. To teach us the nature of God, most are exposed to God’s children first – many gods who are in reality our elder brothers acting as our guides. This is Pantheism, present also in Hinduism. Next, we are taught the concept of the One Supreme God and Creator-Father of us all, the Great Spirit and His laws that we should follow. This is Judaism. Christianity through Jesus elaborated on God’s love and many things relating to His kingdom, the Spirit World, effectively upgrading the revelations that preceded him. Islam enjoins Muslims to be patient and accepting of life’s adversities and to trust in God’s will. He knows what is best, and the best is what He provides. To him, nothing is impossible. He is in control, always, and in all situations and circumstances.

In this New Age, Spiritualism provides more proofs of the survival of the spirit and the reality of the Spirit World. Spiritism offers direct and personalized guidance and instruction. Theosophy reveals God’s Divine Plan of Evolution.

In addition to our 5 physical senses, we are currently in the early stages of developing our 6th senses – clairvoyance, telepathy, telekinesis, astral traveling or out-of-body experiencing. Tarot reading, aural reading, divination, automatic writing and all such are the elementary phases. They prove the reality of the Afterlife and provide an effective means of communication with those who have ascended to the Higher Planes.

God is All. Without God, there is nothing. In Him, we live and breathe and have our being. All of us then are in God, part and parcel of the One. If one suffers, everyone feels some pain. And everyone benefits from every good done to any other part. This is not just an Eastern teaching. St. Paul expounds on this very important teaching in I Corinthians, the body of Christ. And Christ teaches us about the “vine and the branches” and his oneness with God.

Last edited: