• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interest in Sikhism

WanderLust

Inquisitive One
I've always heard of Sikhism, but never quite understood what it meant. I've recently been reading up on it in any way I could, but still seem to lack some of the more basic knowledge of Sikhs.

I understand the basic tenets of being a good person, but from what I've seen so far, it's very similar to the other Dharmic faiths, the main differences being the presence of a monotheistic god and more stringent rules regarding appearance (beards and pagri and such).

What am I missing? I'm really trying to understand this, but I think I'm missing some really big piece of the puzzle.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
First, welcome to RF. :)

Sikhism is a caste-less Dharmic path with a high emphasis on equality.

The Sikhs who are initiated into the Khālsā are required to keep the five Ks: Kesh, kirpān, kachhera (also known as kachha), kanga, and kara: or, in that order in English unshorn hair, a short sword, loose fitting underpants for modesty, a wooden comb, and an iron bracelet. They all have significance:

Kesh: We are perfect as we are
Kirpān: To fight injustice and protect the innocent
Kachhera: For modesty and to control lust
Kanga: Cleanliness and order is important
Kara: To remember God: who has no end, no beginning, just like the bracelet.

Contrary to popular opinion, these are not necessary for one to be a Sikh. They are, however, required for one to be a Khālsā Sikh - but one does not take the baptism ceremony if they do not feel ready to do so. One who removes their hair is a Sehajdhari - a slow adopter of Sikhism.

It's also worth pointing out that Sikhs are not the only monotheistic religion of the Dharmic paths.

I would like to copy something from another thread, if you do not mind.

Simran: Always remember God
Seva: Do good things for the sake of being good. Feeding the hungry, donating to charity, etc is seva. Many Sikhs consider my wife's advice to Sikhs about how to care for the "joora" [the knot long-haired Sikhs keep to put in their turban] to stop from damaging their hair or losing any, as seva, for example.

Follow the Three Pillars of Sikhism
Naam Japo: Repetition of the Naam (Name of the Lord)
Kirat Karo: Honest living. Earn your keep from the sweat of your brow, not from begging.
Vand Chakko: Share your fruits with others.

Destroy the Five Thieves:
Kaam: Lust
Krodh: Anger
Lobh: Greediness
Moh: Attachment [to worldly things. Like in Buddhism]
Ahankar: Egotism

Replace the Five Thieves with the Five Virtues:
Sat: Truthfulness
Santokh: Contentment
Daya: Compassion
Nirmata: Humility
Pyare: Love

Additionally, one must:

• Believe in the One God who is the source of all.
  • See everyone as equal, regardless of race, caste, sex, creed, and sexuality.
  • Defend the innocent; a Sikh cannot just walk past as someone is mugged, for example. Whilst Sikhism does prohibit violence, it does hold the view that sometimes it is necessary to fight back for the sake of peace. The general idea from my perspective is "Don't go around starting on people, but if someone attacks you, your family, or an innocent person, it is your duty to kick the living **** out of him." :D

Sikhs are prohibited from

• Intoxication: no booze, drugs, or smokes are allowed.
  • Adultery: don't screw around with other people
  • Superstition: no icon-worship, veil worship, grave worship, veiling women, circumcision, fasting for spiritual purposes, or bathing in sacred rivers.
  • Materialism: You can't take it with you.
  • Animal sacrifice and sati
  • Non-family living (as a beggar, hermit, etc)
  • Bragging, gossiping, etc
  • Following castes. Sikhism does not have priests. The closest thing is a "Granthi", one who cares for the Guru Granth Sahib, of which any Sikh may do regardless of race, sex or caste.
  • Eating ritualistically killed meat [no halal or kosher], called kutha meat. Many take it to mean "no meat", though. All food in a langar, a Sikh food hall, is vegetarian.

When one takes Amrit (baptism) and becomes initiated into the Khalsa (Army of the Guru), or decides to vow not to cut their hair, then that person is thusly prohibited from cutting their hair. Many Sikhs out there are what are called Sehajdhari Sikhs---literally, "Slow adopters". They are Sikhs who cut their hair. Some Sikhs do not believe those who cut their hair to be Sikhs, but I've seen many shaved Sikhs and I've never seen them treated badly. If one is not ready for kesh (unshorn hair), then what good would forcing them to keep it do. I feel that when others say "Tum sikhi nahi" (You are not a Sikh) because of kesh, they are influenced too much by maya--illusion and attachment to the material world, and so ignore them. After all, it says in the Guru Granth Sahib:

ਕਬੀਰ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਇਕ ਸਿਉ ਕੀਏ ਆਨ ਦੁਬਿਧਾ ਜਾਇ ॥
ਭਾਵੈ ਲਾਂਬੇ ਕੇਸ ਕਰੁ ਭਾਵੈ ਘਰਰਿ ਮੁਡਾਇ ॥

Kabīr parīt ik sio kīe ān dubidhā jāe
bhāvai lā'nbe kesh kar bhāvai gharar mudāe

Kabeer, when you are in love with the One Lord, duality and alienation depart.
You may have long hair, or you may shave your head bald.
- Sri Guru Granth Sahib, page 1365.

A Sikh is encouraged to wake up early morning, bathe/shower, and then to chant and meditate on God's name. Naturally, a Sikh should, of course, follow the ten human gurus and see the Guru Granth Sahib as their guru.

WanderLust

Inquisitive One
Whoa, that's a lot haha. So is Sikhism similar to Buddhism? It looks that way, but it seems Sikhism includes more tradition and specific practices.

One question I have though regards the "superstition" thing. It states that Sikhs shouldn't blindly practice certain rituals, but isn't that somewhat contradictory? If Sikhs carry the 5K's as ritual, doesn't that contradict the principle about superstition? Not to mention that most Sikh men where a turban. Am I missing something?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Whoa, that's a lot haha. So is Sikhism similar to Buddhism? It looks that way, but it seems Sikhism includes more tradition and specific practices.
In some ways Sikhism is similar to Buddhism, but it's not as traditional and such as one would think. Buddhism is significantly more traditional than Buddhism, with the exception of some Zen movements. You don't get up, for example, turn around three times, bow down, turn around in the other direction, and so on.

One question I have though regards the "superstition" thing. It states that Sikhs shouldn't blindly practice certain rituals, but isn't that somewhat contradictory? If Sikhs carry the 5K's as ritual, doesn't that contradict the principle about superstition? Not to mention that most Sikh men where a turban. Am I missing something?
You are. :D

Sikhs do not carry the five Ks as a superstitious ritual. To a Sikh, a superstitious ritual is to do something without a reason: such as "Well, because we always have", or "Because this the only way acceptable for God".

The five Ks most certainly have meanings to the Sikhs and are not done with blind superstitious or blindly practising of rituals. Sikhs carry them for specific meanings, and as a unique, Sikh identity that all can take part in.

The wearing of the turban is to keep the hair neat and tidy, and it was once a symbol of being of a high caste, such as the Rājputs or nobility. During the Mughal rule of India, non-Muslims were prohibited from wearing the turban. Thus, by wearing a turban in addition, the Sikhs are casteless: all Sikhs who don the turban are noble. There is no high or low caste when you all wear the appearance -- of the Khālsā.

Man, woman, black, Indian, Chinese, white, rich, poor, high born, low born -- all are equal within the Khālsā.

chinu

chinu
I've always heard of Sikhism, but never quite understood what it meant. I've recently been reading up on it in any way I could, but still seem to lack some of the more basic knowledge of Sikhs.

I understand the basic tenets of being a good person, but from what I've seen so far, it's very similar to the other Dharmic faiths, the main differences being the presence of a monotheistic god and more stringent rules regarding appearance (beards and pagri and such).

What am I missing? I'm really trying to understand this, but I think I'm missing some really big piece of the puzzle.
WanderLust, I don't know, to which religion do you belong to...
But am sure that there's no need to understand any religion, just try to understand your own religion heartly and compleatly -- you will understand every religion, even sikhism, because the teachings of all religions are same, but the outer model keeps on changing from time to time.

Religion is for the people, People are not for the religion's.

_/\_
Chinu

GURSIKH

chardi kla
Hi WanderLust ,

Sikh means a Student , Our Teacher/Guru is "Guru Granth Sahib" , so for understanding Sikhi Understanding of Gurbani ie Guru Granth Sahib is prerequisite .
http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.gurbani

just want to share a shabad from Guru Granth Sahib for introduction .

ਵਾਤ ਵਜਨਿ ਟੰਮਕ ਭੇਰੀਆ ॥
The bugles play and the drums beat.

ਮਲ ਲਥੇ ਲੈਦੇ ਫੇਰੀਆ ॥
The wrestlers enter the arena and circle around.

ਨਿਹਤੇ ਪੰਜਿ ਜੁਆਨ ਮੈ ਗੁਰ ਥਾਪੀ ਦਿਤੀ ਕੰਡਿ ਜੀਉ ॥੧੮॥
I have thrown the five challengers to the ground, and the Guru has patted me on the back. ||18||

ਸਭ ਇਕਠੇ ਹੋਇ ਆਇਆ ॥
All have gathered together,

ਘਰਿ ਜਾਸਨਿ ਵਾਟ ਵਟਾਇਆ ॥
but we shall return home by different routes.

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਲਾਹਾ ਲੈ ਗਏ ਮਨਮੁਖ ਚਲੇ ਮੂਲੁ ਗਵਾਇ ਜੀਉ ॥੧੯॥
The Gurmukhs reap their profits and leave, while the self-willed manmukhs lose their investment and depart. ||19||

ਤੂੰ ਵਰਨਾ ਚਿਹਨਾ ਬਾਹਰਾ ॥
You are without color or mark.

ਹਰਿ ਦਿਸਹਿ ਹਾਜਰੁ ਜਾਹਰਾ ॥
The Lord is seen to be manifest and present.

ਸੁਣਿ ਸੁਣਿ ਤੁਝੈ ਧਿਆਇਦੇ ਤੇਰੇ ਭਗਤ ਰਤੇ ਗੁਣਤਾਸੁ ਜੀਉ ॥੨੦॥
Hearing of Your Glories again and again, Your devotees meditate on You; they are attuned to You, O Lord, Treasure of Excellence. ||20||

ਮੈ ਜੁਗਿ ਜੁਗਿ ਦਯੈ ਸੇਵੜੀ ॥
Through age after age, I am the servant of the Merciful Lord.

ਗੁਰਿ ਕਟੀ ਮਿਹਡੀ ਜੇਵੜੀ ॥
The Guru has cut away my bonds.

ਹਉ ਬਾਹੁੜਿ ਛਿੰਝ ਨ ਨਚਊ ਨਾਨਕ ਅਉਸਰੁ ਲਧਾ ਭਾਲਿ ਜੀਉ ॥੨੧॥੨॥੨੯॥
I shall not have to dance in the wrestling arena of life again. Nanak has searched, and found this opportunity. ||21||2||29||

Khalsa is Guru s Army to defend Dharma from Aggressors , you should also check the Sikh History , As Od ji Said there is no Compulsion on Sikhs to join Khalsa .

Last edited:

WanderLust

Inquisitive One
Sikhs do not carry the five Ks as a superstitious ritual. To a Sikh, a superstitious ritual is to do something without a reason: such as "Well, because we always have", or "Because this the only way acceptable for God".

The five Ks most certainly have meanings to the Sikhs and are not done with blind superstitious or blindly practising of rituals. Sikhs carry them for specific meanings, and as a unique, Sikh identity that all can take part in.

The wearing of the turban is to keep the hair neat and tidy, and it was once a symbol of being of a high caste, such as the Rājputs or nobility. During the Mughal rule of India, non-Muslims were prohibited from wearing the turban. Thus, by wearing a turban in addition, the Sikhs are casteless: all Sikhs who don the turban are noble. There is no high or low caste when you all wear the appearance -- of the Khālsā.

Man, woman, black, Indian, Chinese, white, rich, poor, high born, low born -- all are equal within the Khālsā.

Okay, I think I understand. The 5K's have symbolic meaning or practical use to the Sikhs, whereas many ppractices in other religions don't really have a reason like Muslims avoiding pork or Catholics being confirmed. It's blind tradition as opposed to symbolic, practical objects and actions.

Did I get that right?

Bob Dixon

>implying
Okay, I think I understand. The 5K's have symbolic meaning or practical use to the Sikhs, whereas many ppractices in other religions don't really have a reason like Muslims avoiding pork or Catholics being confirmed. It's blind tradition as opposed to symbolic, practical objects and actions.

Did I get that right?

Hey, hey, hey! Hold on!
Catholics have a definite reason to be confirmed! It's completely legitimate and has nothing to do with superstition!

But don't let's post about this here. If you like, message me, and we'll talk about it elsewhere.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis

Did I get that right?
Pretty much. :)
Except the Catholics and confirmation thing. I don't understand it as I've never been Catholic, but it holds some meaning to them. :D

It's the sort of "Why do you avoid pork?" "Why do you circumcise your children?" "Why do you have to slit the animal's throat before you eat it?" "Why do you worship graves?" "Why do you chant a scripture which meaning you don't understand?" questions; met with pretty much "God said it." or "Dunno, we just do.". To a Sikh, that isn't a good reason: you don't know if God said it, and you shouldn't do something without understanding it.

WanderLust

Inquisitive One
Okay, confirmation wasn't the best example, but you understand what I mean. Raised by a Catholic mother, and I still barely get any of it.... but I digress.

Bob Dixon

>implying
Okay, confirmation wasn't the best example, but you understand what I mean. Raised by a Catholic mother, and I still barely get any of it.... but I digress.

Yes, but it DEFINITELY has a meaning and it DEFINTITELY is the opposite of what we're talking about here.

But I see where you're coming from; a lot of people just go into it and don't really think about it. They do it for the ritual alone so, for them, it is just empty superstition.

WanderLust

Inquisitive One
Yes, but it DEFINITELY has a meaning and it DEFINTITELY is the opposite of what we're talking about here.

But I see where you're coming from; a lot of people just go into it and don't really think about it. They do it for the ritual alone so, for them, it is just empty superstition.

Most people I know who do confirmation don't make it important, that's why I see it that way. People seem to go through the rituals of religion without paying attention to beliefs or rules at all. Religion seems to be abused like that in todayy's society....

Sorry if I offended anyone with that comment, that was my fault.

Bob Dixon

>implying
Most people I know who do confirmation don't make it important, that's why I see it that way. People seem to go through the rituals of religion without paying attention to beliefs or rules at all. Religion seems to be abused like that in todayy's society....

Sorry if I offended anyone with that comment, that was my fault.

No, you're completely right.
But I guess we can apply that to pretty much any religious ritual or commandment that is followed emptily, without understanding.

WiseMan

First, welcome to RF. :)

Sikhism is a caste-less Dharmic path with a high emphasis on equality.

The Sikhs who are initiated into the Khālsā are required to keep the five Ks: Kesh, kirpān, kachhera (also known as kachha), kanga, and kara: or, in that order in English unshorn hair, a short sword, loose fitting underpants for modesty, a wooden comb, and an iron bracelet. They all have significance:

Kesh: We are perfect as we are
Kirpān: To fight injustice and protect the innocent
Kachhera: For modesty and to control lust
Kanga: Cleanliness and order is important
Kara: To remember God: who has no end, no beginning, just like the bracelet.

Contrary to popular opinion, these are not necessary for one to be a Sikh. They are, however, required for one to be a Khālsā Sikh - but one does not take the baptism ceremony if they do not feel ready to do so. One who removes their hair is a Sehajdhari - a slow adopter of Sikhism.

It's also worth pointing out that Sikhs are not the only monotheistic religion of the Dharmic paths.

I would like to copy something from another thread, if you do not mind.

Sat Sri Akal,

I strongly disagree when people say that there are sikhs who cut their hair. I was born in a Sikh family and don't have hair, but to say I am a Sikh is wrong, however I strongly believe in its teachings and principle. And the reason I cut my hair was to look sexy for girls. This destroys the whole fundamental of being a sikh that I was too attached to things that should not really matter in life. Any was as Odion quoted the below verse from SGGS, I would like to make it more clearer for anyone else:

Odion Says:
"When one takes Amrit (baptism) and becomes initiated into the Khalsa (Army of the Guru), or decides to vow not to cut their hair, then that person is thusly prohibited from cutting their hair. Many Sikhs out there are what are called Sehajdhari Sikhs---literally, "Slow adopters". They are Sikhs who cut their hair. Some Sikhs do not believe those who cut their hair to be Sikhs, but I've seen many shaved Sikhs and I've never seen them treated badly. If one is not ready for kesh (unshorn hair), then what good would forcing them to keep it do. I feel that when others say "Tum sikhi nahi" (You are not a Sikh) because of kesh, they are influenced too much by maya--illusion and attachment to the material world, and so ignore them. After all, it says in the Guru Granth Sahib:

ਕਬੀਰ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਇਕ ਸਿਉ ਕੀਏ ਆਨ ਦੁਬਿਧਾ ਜਾਇ ॥
ਭਾਵੈ ਲਾਂਬੇ ਕੇਸ ਕਰੁ ਭਾਵੈ ਘਰਰਿ ਮੁਡਾਇ ॥

Kabīr parīt ik sio kīe ān dubidhā jāe
bhāvai lā'nbe kesh kar bhāvai gharar mudāe
Kabeer, when you are in love with the One Lord, duality and alienation depart.
You may have long hair, or you may shave your head bald.
- Sri Guru Granth Sahib, page 1365."

Explanation:

This is beautiful quote
It has been written by Kabir ji keeping in Mind the tradition prevelant at the time where people were made to shave heads( signifying detachment from from wordly love/things) at the time of induction into a particular spirtual tradition as it marks the reference point in the life of person when he commited to follow that particular path .In the same line people were made to grow hair in other tradition to mark their commitment to the particular path

What I mean to say is that the time Kabir ji worte this bani , going bald or keeping long hair marked and signified the following of the particular tradition by the various people of that time.

Now we will try to understand that what Bhagat Kabir want to convey in this Vaak

The duality/love for worldly things depart only when you start loving the one ( Akal)

whether you keep long hair or make your head bald it does not matter.

So Kabir ji says that which ever spirtual path you are following the way to get rid of worldly love is loving the one ,nothing else is going to help

For a sikh who is keeping long hair in line with teaching of his Guru ,the way to get rid of duality is loving the one akal not just keeping long hair.

Hope its clear. Thanks

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend WiseMan,

Firstly take the opportunity to welcome you to RF!
Best Wishes!

Next would rather generalize that all humans are sikh as soon as one surrenders to THAT who is the guru.

Love & rgds

chinu

chinu
all humans are sikh as soon as one surrenders to THAT who is the guru.
Already everbody have surrenderd themselves to something,
Some have surrendered themselves to singing,
Some to dancing.

Some are painting the pictures,

Some are busy in sience,

Some are flowing in dine & wine.
Some are waiting for the sex,
Some are busy in saving their tax.
Some have surrendred them to the leadership chair,
Some are different games player.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend chinu,

Already everbody have surrenderd themselves to something,
Some have surrendered themselves to singing,
Some to dancing.

Some are painting the pictures,

Some are busy in sience,

Some are flowing in dine & wine.
Some are waiting for the sex,
Some are busy in saving their tax.
Some have surrendred them to the leadership chair,
Some are different games player.
When everything in existence is THAT [guru]; surrendering to anything is surrendering to THAT. Do you follow??

Love & rgds