• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Intelligent Design???

Ellen Brown

Very early in this thread you made a claim that appeared to be very very weak. So naturally I asked you what evidence you had to support your beliefs. You then gave this strange and very defensive response:

"Don't you dare try to put me in a corner. Better men than you have tried. It is my opinion and I am entitled to it, and that is all I need full stop !

You folk who believe in nothing are welcome to your views."

It appears when someone makes such a post that they know they do not have a rational reason for their beliefs. Though you could always surprise me and support your claim. Your claim that you should have given evidence for is on the first page of this thread.

OK, well what is wrong with having the opinion that Evolution is largely acceptable but that there is an order to the way it happened, that it was not all random? None of us can generate facts on an issue like this and anyone who says they can are deluding themselves I think.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
OK, well what is wrong with having the opinion that Evolution is largely acceptable but that there is an order to the way it happened, that it was not all random?
There's nothing wrong with that, really. It only becomes wrong when people suggest that such beliefs are supported by the actual science. To be clear, the science doesn't necessarily contradict that position (while mutations appear random to us, I see no objection to the possibility of a God or Gods having an invisible hand in the process such that their intervention is either invisible to us or actually indeterminable from natural processes), but we see a lot of the time on these forums people asserting that it is "obvious" or "demonstrable" or "scientific" that life comes from God, when we seem to repeatedly find that none of these are really true.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
OK, well what is wrong with having the opinion that Evolution is largely acceptable but that there is an order to the way it happened, that it was not all random? None of us can generate facts on an issue like this and anyone who says they can are deluding themselves I think.
One should have evidence for one's beliefs. You of all people should understand this since the bad actions of many people against you were based upon fears that were not supported by any evidence at all.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
One should have evidence for one's beliefs. You of all people should understand this since the bad actions of many people against you were based upon fears that were not supported by any evidence at all.
I would say having beliefs is fine. The problem is when people can't or won't distinguish between evidence based beliefs and faith based beliefs, and the even bigger problem is when people think faith based beliefs are sufficient justification to impose on or subjugate anyone else, whether they share those beliefs or not.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I would say having beliefs is fine. The problem is when people can't or won't distinguish between evidence based beliefs and faith based beliefs, and the even bigger problem is when people think faith based beliefs are sufficient justification to impose on or subjugate anyone else, whether they share those beliefs or not.
The problem with faith based beliefs is the tendency of those that rely on them to give them even more credibility than those that reason rationally give evidence based beliefs, and of course evidence based beliefs have a much better track record. Though not perfect far less harm has been inflicted on others by those that rely on knowledge based beliefs.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
The problem with faith based beliefs is the tendency of those that rely on them to give them even more credibility than those that reason rationally give evidence based beliefs, and of course evidence based beliefs have a much better track record. Though not perfect far less harm has been inflicted on others by those that rely on knowledge based beliefs.
I fully acknowledged these issues.