• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Intelligent Design and People

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
God didn't make such a pig's breakfast out of it but you can't see that because you are too busy acting like a spoiled little brat who throws a tantrum because he has to eat his peas.

Whatever biological problems you don't like, fix them yourself.
Well, after I finish my peas, I'll just nip down the oesophagus shop and buy me another one! Do they have somewhere there that can fit it for me, or shall I attempt the DIY route? :rolleyes:

I think the human body is amazing... Everything is so perfect. Our earth is PERFECT, see how in nature nothing survives on its own, it uses another life to live. Everything works in sync with each other, the system of interdependance is so perfect, yet so fragile. I coud not have asked for a better planet. We have long arms and legs for reach, fingers to grab, hand that can slide and grip, a body of internal organs that function perfectly, but yet again very fragile. I believe that humans are not the most perfect beings, there are so many other animals which show som amazing qualities.

By no means did our god do a sloppy job... Or science for that matter.

Captain Civic

version 2.0
They did, but were limited by their own perfection. Free will does not mean you [can] do whatever is possible; free will means you [can] do what you choose. One must first think of an action before acting upon it. Because they were perfect, they could not think to act upon an imperfect choice.

Would perfect knowledge precede perfect choices?

Random

Design flaws are excellent proof that we evolved.

Sorry to drop the logic-bomb on you, but if in Evolutionary theory there is no Design, how can design flaws be used as evidence of Evolutionary fact? :sarcastic

rojse

RF Addict
God didn't make such a pig's breakfast out of it but you can't see that because you are too busy acting like a spoiled little brat who throws a tantrum because he has to eat his peas.

I won't dignify this with a response.

Whatever biological problems you don't like, fix them yourself.

Perhaps in a few decades, we might be able to alter the DNA of a person to remove these defects.

However, won't people then say that we are tampering with God's intentions for us and so forth?

However, that is a topic for another thread, though.

It is enough to say that we cannot alter whatever evolution or God has given us to work with at this moment..

rojse

RF Addict
Sorry to drop the logic-bomb on you, but if in Evolutionary theory there is no Design, how can design flaws be used as evidence of Evolutionary fact? :sarcastic

I used "design flaws" from what had been posted as another person in my argument. The original poster used the phrase "design flaws", so I used that in my reply.

If we want to be more pedantic without imparting any more information, how about "things in a person that, if they were designed for us by a supernatural being that most people would designate the name God to, were not done with the due care and attention that we would expect from an omnipotent being."

What I mean when I say "design flaws" is simply things in people, or other animals, that can be useless, superfluous, done poorly in a way that can cause pain or discomfort, and so forth.

"Design flaws" is a much simpler way to express it.

logician

I think the human body is amazing... Everything is so perfect. Our earth is PERFECT, see how in nature nothing survives on its own, it uses another life to live. Everything works in sync with each other, the system of interdependance is so perfect, yet so fragile. I coud not have asked for a better planet. We have long arms and legs for reach, fingers to grab, hand that can slide and grip, a body of internal organs that function perfectly, but yet again very fragile. I believe that humans are not the most perfect beings, there are so many other animals which show som amazing qualities.

By no means did our god do a sloppy job... Or science for that matter.

If our earth is so perfect, how come we have had several mass extinctions, and are headed towards another as we post?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member

The design flaws are evidence of the principle of no design. A designer would not include flaws.

Francine

The design flaws are evidence of the principle of no design. A designer would not include flaws.

Flawlessness is itself a flaw. Stamp collectors place great value on stamps which contain printing errors. A snowflake can only form around a piece of dust which introduces a flaw in the crystal growth, and eventually leads to that snowflake's uniqueness. The sound of fingers rubbing over guitar strings during a performance are a flaw (they aren't called out in the tabs) but they lend a humanity to the music that playing a MIDI file through a synthesizer cannot come close to duplicating. The "flawless" drum machines of the 1980s and 90s made the pop music of those decades sound robotic and cheesy compared to the pop music of the 60s and 70s.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Flawlessness is itself a flaw. Stamp collectors place great value on stamps which contain printing errors. A snowflake can only form around a piece of dust which introduces a flaw in the crystal growth, and eventually leads to that snowflake's uniqueness. The sound of fingers rubbing over guitar strings during a performance are a flaw (they aren't called out in the tabs) but they lend a humanity to the music that playing a MIDI file through a synthesizer cannot come close to duplicating. The "flawless" drum machines of the 1980s and 90s made the pop music of those decades sound robotic and cheesy compared to the pop music of the 60s and 70s.

That stuff is still flawed. It might be more enjoyable to some or even most people, but it's still flawed. A lot of times humans like things that have flaws more because they can identify more with them, or in the case of stamps and such, they are more rare, and so only a few can have them.

Of course, flaws are subjective. As was said before, what is a flaw to me may not be a flaw to you. But you can't be flawLESS if you have a flaw. The definition of flawless is "without flaws".

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
Those are all relative, purely subjective things. We can't objectify them no matter how much we like or try to. Design can be objectified rather easily.

logician

If one looks at the universe, and at the evolution of life, it looks pretty darn random to me.

We were non preordained.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Perhaps the word "flaw" is throwing people off.
Let's say normal but dysfunctional features are evidence of no design.