• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Instincts

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I think the conclusion of five generations is fairly recent within the last 10 years and is based on isotope ratios found in the wings. The average is four generations and it does include the move to the northern part of the range in southern Canada. Each generation moves north as adults until the fall when they head south.

I used to work on a moth species called the black cutworm that is a pest of corn. It migrates in on warm fronts moving north east out of the southwest and Mexico in the spring. Some of the flights are so large, they can be observed with radar. What is interesting about some of these flights of migrating insects is if the air temp drops to 50 degrees F or lower, they will fold up their wings and drop out of the sky like it is raining insects.

We have a Bogong Moth that is a fairly famous migrator (not sure if that's a word) here, I'd never heard of them until one year they got blown off course by a freak weather system to the coast and we had millions of them. Making a cup of coffee at work was a nightmare, you'd usually end up with 2 or 3 doing back stroke in it.

The only time I've seen big swarms of bugs was out west in a locust plague. I rode a motorbike through a swarm of them for about 3 kilometres, I made it all the way through without head butting any then at the end of it I saw two fly up from the side of the road and got 2 direct hits on the visor.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I can't really remember, I was more interested in the butterfly fact than his nonsense. I think it was something like only an intelligent designer could have created them because of the multi generational migration. Probably why he lets childhood cancer go unchecked, he's too busy programming bugs. @Subduction Zone might remember, I think he was in on the conversation, it happened on another forum.
I don't remember the debate, but it sounds like whoever it was tried to pull the "you don't, therefore God" argument.

And I did not know that Monarchs were a recent emigre to Australia.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I don't remember the debate, but it sounds like whoever it was tried to pull the "you don't, therefore God" argument.

And I did not know that Monarchs were a recent emigre to Australia.

It was that idiot Mike, can't even remember his user name. Was just his usually copy and paste job from AIG.

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member
We have a Bogong Moth that is a fairly famous migrator (not sure if that's a word) here, I'd never heard of them until one year they got blown off course by a freak weather system to the coast and we had millions of them. Making a cup of coffee at work was a nightmare, you'd usually end up with 2 or 3 doing back stroke in it.

The only time I've seen big swarms of bugs was out west in a locust plague. I rode a motorbike through a swarm of them for about 3 kilometres, I made it all the way through without head butting any then at the end of it I saw two fly up from the side of the road and got 2 direct hits on the visor.
Amusing. The Bogong moth is in the same genus (Agrotis) as the black cutworm I was talking about earlier.

I've missed out on the locusts here in the states. We get periodic cicada emergences in the millions every 13 or 17 years depending on the species and what state you live in. I have seen 2 or 3 and I should be coming up on my third or fourth. I can't recall how many exactly.

On bright, sunny, summer days, I have seen dragonflies dipping and laying eggs on car windshields, mistaking them for water. I have also heard of, but not seen, mass landings of flying aquatic insects dropping on parking lots because the reflected light off of the cars is mistaken for water.

I have seen years when the local walkingstick species were so numerous you could hear them eating and pooping when you walked through the woods. You would get hit with an occasional one falling out of a tree too.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It was that idiot Mike, can't even remember his user name. Was just his usually copy and paste job from AIG.
That does not ring a bell at all. But you gotta love AiG. It is almost as if they know that they are wrong but don't really care. The only one easier to refute is the banana man. Oh! And newcomer Matt Powell.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Amusing. The Bogong moth is in the same genus (Agrotis) as the black cutworm I was talking about earlier.

I've missed out on the locusts here in the states. We get periodic cicada emergences in the millions every 13 or 17 years depending on the species and what state you live in. I have seen 2 or 3 and I should be coming up on my third or fourth. I can't recall how many exactly.

On bright, sunny, summer days, I have seen dragonflies dipping and laying eggs on car windshields, mistaking them for water. I have also heard of, but not seen, mass landings of flying aquatic insects dropping on parking lots because the reflected light off of the cars is mistaken for water.

I have seen years when the local walkingstick species were so numerous you could hear them eating and pooping when you walked through the woods. You would get hit with an occasional one falling out of a tree too.
The aquatic insects you did not name could be mayflies. In Minnesota there were tales of bridges being more slippery than they are in winter.

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member
The aquatic insects you did not name could be mayflies. In Minnesota there were tales of bridges being more slippery than they are in winter.
In the instance I recall, it was water boatman. However, I have seen photos of mayfly emergences so dense that they had to be removed from roads with bulldozers in some places like Minnesota.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Quite a few species have hit on the strategy of overwhelming predators with numbers. They don't stop the predators from eating them. There are simply too many for a predator to eat them all. The vast majority can reproduce without fear of being eaten.