• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Installing Linux...

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I want to install Linux on something to do a task that can save itself to the Cloud. To save money, I want to use a high quality flash drive to run the OS. Should I:

1. Create a boot drive on an extra flash drive, a cheap one, to use to install the OS onto the high quality main flash drive? I assume that's the nightmarish, inefficient process you have to go to, to install an OS. But the Linux gurus may know a better way.

2. Just use the high quality drive, and boot from it the OS Live. No second, cheap drive.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I want to install Linux on something to do a task that can save itself to the Cloud. To save money, I want to use a high quality flash drive to run the OS. Should I:

1. Create a boot drive on an extra flash drive, a cheap one, to use to install the OS onto the high quality main flash drive? I assume that's the nightmarish, inefficient process you have to go to, to install an OS. But the Linux gurus may know a better way.

2. Just use the high quality drive, and boot from it the OS Live. No second, cheap drive.

A lot depends on what you want to do. If the live version is good enough, why do more? On the other hand, if you want to tweak it to be something specific, the better option might be to boot to the cheap flash drive to install on the better one.

What type of system do you already have? What distro are you wanting to install? The install process varies widely between distros.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I've done both. If you use a live usb then you will not need to change the security sector of your computer's hard drive. If you install non-live onto the USB you might. There are ways around it, but I think the installer will add an entry to your list of bootable partitions. One method is slightly lower impact and somewhat more portable than the other. One has more flexible storage choices and has less overhead getting data out of the USB. You can also more easily read its partitions from another running linux system.

The live version might have storage limitations on the USB, because it is a compressed filesystem. Mounting it in a second linux system takes some trouble. It can be a bit of a pain to change the size of the partition depending on how you go about the install. Some compressed filesystems grow as you need them to. Some don't. Some are stored in a file on the USB and have a hard size limit such as 8 or 32 gig regardless of how whopping large your USB is. Some have a partition on the USB that isn't compressed. The installers for live systems do not offer a lot of options. Their job is to get you up and running, usually with a minimal system, almost a disposable system.

USB thumb drives can be slow. What I have done successfully to get around that while still being portable is to install on a live USB that includes a hypervisor (virtual box) and to also have a large, fast external drive that isn't a thumb drive. The hypervisor runs from the thumb drive, but inside Virtual Box install another OS running that uses that faster external drive in an uncompressed partition (in my case I used a Toshiba external hard drive with a USB 3 connector). For this you'll have to do some googling on how to format the partition and give your hypervisor access to it. A big drive has a faster read/write than a USB drive does, so the resulting hypervisor (virtual) system running inside the slower live system can be effectively faster what with the faster drive, and it can still be portable. You don't have to change any boot records on the bare metal system. For this try to use a live distribution which fits entirely into RAM memory, so that its not constantly trying to access the slow USB. Then your only speed limitation comes from the virtual system and its faster drive. It will run plenty fast, faster than the hypervisor system.

Last edited:

ohiogrown

Can you install VMWare Player or Virtualbox on your host machine and install linux in a virtual machine? I guess I'm not understanding the need for booting from a flash drive?