• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Insomnia cures?

Jesster

Friendly skeptic
Premium Member
I don't have one single solution. My insomnia hit a peak this summer because of a prescription from my doctor that backfired, but I've been working on it. I'm just trying to remove all the things that keep me awake, like eating too late in the evening, among others. And it turns out my silly brain might just be afraid of the dark. I turned a light on in the hallway and I actually got some sleep last night. I don't think there's any one cure though, even that. Just different ways to improve your situation.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I don't have one single solution. My insomnia hit a peak this summer because of a prescription from my doctor that backfired, but I've been working on it. I'm just trying to remove all the things that keep me awake, like eating too late in the evening, among others. And it turns out my silly brain might just be afraid of the dark. I turned a light on in the hallway and I actually got some sleep last night. I don't think there's any one cure though, even that. Just different ways to improve your situation.

Yes for some reason I have no problem going to sleep during the day, at night sometimes takes hours.

I also use a vibrator, um... I mean back massager. Kids told me I'm not allowed to call it a vibrator for some reason. :shrug:

Thing that puts out rhythmic vibrations. I lay it up against my back on low speed. Usually, that works pretty good. The problem though might be the noise for some. However, I've years of practice shutting off unwanted external noise when I sleep. My wife likes to fall asleep listening to FOX News

PureX

Veteran Member
I find room temperature is important (I need it to be cool). Also, not eating for at least a couple hours before bedtime. And no lights on, for me. Still, I'll have trouble sleeping every so often.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I have a cycle of insomnia that lasts 4 or 5 days every 3 to 4 months. I have tried most natural remedies that I'm comfortable with taking, every available over the counter sleep aid and on occasion have been prescribed sleeping pills.

Nothing seems to work. When it hits i am resigned to feeling like a zombie with a sore head after the 2nd night without sleep.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Yes for some reason I have no problem going to sleep during the day, at night sometimes takes hours.

I also use a vibrator, um... I mean back massager. Kids told me I'm not allowed to call it a vibrator for some reason. :shrug:

Thing that puts out rhythmic vibrations. I lay it up against my back on low speed. Usually, that works pretty good. The problem though might be the noise for some. However, I've years of practice shutting off unwanted external noise when I sleep. My wife likes to fall asleep listening to FOX News

Got to try that vibrator idea ;-)

Jesster

Friendly skeptic
Premium Member
I have a cycle of insomnia that lasts 4 or 5 days every 3 to 4 months. I have tried most natural remedies that I'm comfortable with taking, every available over the counter sleep aid and on occasion have been prescribed sleeping pills.

Nothing seems to work. When it hits i am resigned to feeling like a zombie with a sore head after the 2nd night without sleep.
I attempted some of the same. Melatonin sort of worked when my insomnia wasn't too bad. Then it stopped working entirely. If I take melatonin now, I stay awake anyway, but I'm more miserable because of it.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I attempted some of the same. Melatonin sort of worked when my insomnia wasn't too bad. Then it stopped working entirely. If I take melatonin now, I stay awake anyway, but I'm more miserable because of it.

Melatonin didn't do much other than give me a raging headache.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Brown noise.

(via a free app called White Noise Lite. I mix it with the Aircraft noise. Stop laughing, it works!)

ChristineM

Premium Member
Brown noise.

(via a free app called White Noise Lite. I mix it with the Aircraft noise. Stop laughing, it works!)

I've tried white noise and pink noise with and without a background of hubby snoring that can accurately mimic the sound of a 747 but never with actual aircraft noise

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Chamomile tea, kava kava root tea, lavender scents (pillow spray). A hot shower before bed. All of these have helped me. Also, meditation, as my mind keeps me awake most of the time.

White noise can be beneficial, as can other types of background noise. Youtube has hours of background sleep stuff (rain, waterfalls, streams, ocean waves, forest sounds, drumming, etc).