• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inquiry

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
I've been searching the origins on the phrase (not the teaching or concept, but the actual phrase)

Baptism as an act of obedience.

Does any Baptist know who coined the term? It's been very hard to track down when that phrase came into use or who first expressed it in that way.

I haven't found it in the reformers writings, nor in the Westminster or London Confessions, Jonathan Edwards, Charles Spurgeon, Charles Finney, or Billy Sunday.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

Last edited:

Green Kepi

There is no "actual phrase" in the 'versions' that we have...you will find it hard to "track down" certain traditions/creeds of various groups. However, it is probably taken from Acts 2:37-42....

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
There is no "actual phrase" in the 'versions' that we have...you will find it hard to "track down" certain traditions/creeds of various groups. However, it is probably taken from Acts 2:37-42....
Thank you. You're right, its been hard to track down.
I have found a pattern that has been consistent, whenever a popular phrase is not in the Bible, I have been able to track down the time in history and the author. Popular phrases always start somewhere. So far, the earliest reference to this phrase that I have found is with Bill Bright and Billy Graham.

Last edited:

Green Kepi

Something else you might want to look into...where did the idea of 'Hell' and that Satan was a 'fallen angel' originate? Most just take the teachings for granted and never "really" research the facts....

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
Something else you might want to look into...where did the idea of 'Hell' and that Satan was a 'fallen angel' originate? Most just take the teachings for granted and never "really" research the facts....
True :D!, thanks.
Btw, I've been a Children's Social Worker/Case Manager too.

Last edited: