• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Innocents and Responsibility for the Young

Salty Booger

Royal Crown Cola (RC)
I remember playing a Star Wars video game and had assumed the role of an Empire fighter pilot. My son, who was maybe five at the time, walked into the room and realized what I was doing--playing the role of the bad guy on the computer. The scowl he gave me was priceless.

At what point should we initiate our children into life's realities?

MNoBody

the sooner the better, but that is case specific, since there is no one rule for all, every one is distinctly themselves, which is probably why parenting takes such effort....given how much time that can actually take to achieve any quality.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I remember playing a Star Wars video game and had assumed the role of an Empire fighter pilot. My son, who was maybe five at the time, walked into the room and realized what I was doing--playing the role of the bad guy on the computer. The scowl he gave me was priceless.

All through out life but with age specific instruction.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

If he's five and in school I'm sure those realities are manifesting already.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Which realities are those? Are you initiating them into "life's realities" or your interpretation of life's realities?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Doesn't it just happen naturally? Why must they be 'introduced'? Don't kids play make-believe anymore? Surely someone is playing the baddie.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I start educating mine as soon as they are able to understand them.

I am largely unpopular with other parents.

My parents did the 'gentle and G rated' approach with me, and I always suspected they were full of something or another, just couldn't put my finger on it. It was also a harder crash when I realized just exactly how much harsher the world was than the reality they've given me. I wouldn't do this with my children.

One thing I try with my oldest(the younger two wouldn't understand) is to make him understand there is no such thing as ultimate good, or ultimate bad. There's just a bunch of people running around making decisions based off of their life experiences and circumstances, sometimes these are wise, sometimes stupid.

Salty Booger

Royal Crown Cola (RC)
Doesn't it just happen naturally? Why must they be 'introduced'? Don't kids play make-believe anymore? Surely someone is playing the baddie.
Some kids never grow up. My city center has been the stage for LARPing maniacs for nearly four months.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I start educating mine as soon as they are able to understand them.

I am largely unpopular with other parents.

My parents did the 'gentle and G rated' approach with me, and I always suspected they were full of something or another, just couldn't put my finger on it. It was also a harder crash when I realized just exactly how much harsher the world was than the reality they've given me. I wouldn't do this with my children.

One thing I try with my oldest(the younger two wouldn't understand) is to make him understand there is no such thing as ultimate good, or ultimate bad. There's just a bunch of people running around making decisions based off of their life experiences and circumstances, sometimes these are wise, sometimes stupid.

^^^^ This ^^^^

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Parenting isn't easy. As far as realities go, they're coming, sooner or later, and usually it's sooner. You can never prepare them for all possibilities, but it's nice to give it a shot. Many books you can read to kids these days do just that. The 'head in the sand' style of parenting is fading into a distant past.

Gargovic Malkav

I think I was 7 when my parents told me that Sinterklaas(my country's equivalent of Santa Claus) wasn't real. I wouldn't want to do the same to my kids though. I think it's wrong and hypocritical to lie about such figures or lie to your kids at all while at the same time you teach your children that lying is wrong.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I think I was 7 when my parents told me that Sinterklaas(my country's equivalent of Santa Claus) wasn't real. I wouldn't want to do the same to my kids though. I think it's wrong and hypocritical to lie about such figures or lie to your kids at all while at the same time you teach your children that lying is wrong.

My oldest had the Santa Claus myth to grow up with... He is a child from a previous relationship, and his father very much believed that we 'had to do what normal people do', and insisted. Even after we told him Santa wasn't real, he still clung to it...

Not doing that with the younger two(who are both children from my current marriage). Actually, we don't do Christmas at all. Don't see any reason to.

pearl

I have a great grand daughter, now 14, who has had her own iphone since she was 5. It seems as though she never had a childhood at all. She had beautiful long hair, saw her a few months ago, her hair is short,
half black and half orange.

Gargovic Malkav

My oldest had the Santa Claus myth to grow up with... He is a child from a previous relationship, and his father very much believed that we 'had to do what normal people do', and insisted. Even after we told him Santa wasn't real, he still clung to it...

Not doing that with the younger two(who are both children from my current marriage). Actually, we don't do Christmas at all. Don't see any reason to.

Even if parents keep this tradition of Santa Claus, I'm pretty sure it's possible to be honest about him not being real as the imagination of children is vivid enough that it would still be as much fun for them.