1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Innocent man spends months in jail for possession of honey

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stevicus, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Stevicus

Stevicus Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,041
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    Innocent Bowie man spent months in jail for bringing honey back to U.S. through BWI

You gotta wonder what kind of morons they have working in law enforcement these days. How can they look at a jar of honey and think that it's liquid meth?

Everyone involved in this case should be required to serve at least 82 days in prison as compensation for what they did to this guy.

Apparently, some drug-sniffing dog was involved, too.

It is believed that he may have been stereotyped because of his race.

2. 80s fashion girl

Ratings:
    +64
    Religion:
    none
    I hope he sues and wins.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. ChristineM

ChristineM "Be strong" I whispered to my coffee.
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10,386
    Religion:
    None
    I can see a major case of compensation setting in

4. Kangaroo Feathers

Kangaroo Feathers Hardline moderate

Ratings:
    +6,564
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Good luck. The system is geared so that the best he'll likely get in a non binding apology.

5. ChristineM

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10,386
    Religion:
    None
    The cost him his livelihood, least they could do was offer him a job.

6. Kangaroo Feathers

Ratings:
    +6,564
    Religion:
    Catholic
    If there was any justice, sure. I think it's nice you think justice is a motivating factor in the legal systems of any given country when it comes to holding police to account.

I hope I'm wrong and you are right.

7. ChristineM

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10,386
    Religion:
    None
    I am thinking it all depends on the lawyer and how persuasive he is in court.

I would hope he is compensated but you are most probably right

8. Stevicus

Stevicus Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,041
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    I hope he is compensated, too, although I don't think the taxpayers should have to pay it. The compensation should come from the pockets of the individuals (and their retirement fund) of those who did this to him.

The customs agents, the police, the lawyers and judges involved should be required to pay personally - and once their net worth is exhausted, the remainder should come from their respective retirement funds.

Do this enough times, and the police and judges will definitely think twice before going hog wild like they did in this case.

• Like Like x 1
  9. columbus

columbus Conservative Catholic from Hell

Ratings:
    +12,605
    Religion:
    None
    The fact that there are lots of lawyers salivating at the thought of getting a big bite of his compensation means he probably will get a large settlement.
    Tom

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. Enoch07

Enoch07 It's all a sick freaking joke.
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,685
    Religion:
    Theistic Rationalist-Christian
    Hmm it appears him being a registered alien with a green card is what complicated things.

Being charged with felony drug possession triggered him to be detained longer because of his status.

Not a good time to be messing around with customs bringing in ambiguous liquids/chemicals. People are so stupid.

11. columbus

Ratings:
    +12,605
    Religion:
    None
    Nevertheless, holding him longer than it takes to analyze the liquid is even stupider.
    Actionably stupid, in my opinion. It would have taken less than an hour to identify the honey, if the cops were doing their jobs. But they weren't, and now their employers are on the hook for a big chunk of change.
    As a general rule, I support the cops. But this was not a split second decision that ended badly. This was the cops putting a guy through hell due to utterly incompetent police work. The evidence was there and they didn't get around to investigating it.
    That degree of incompetence earned them a seven figure lawsuit.
    Tom

12. Dan From Smithville

Dan From Smithville Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,405
    Religion:
    Methodist
    I had no idea that meth was stored or transported in liquid form. The guy should be compensated and receive a public apology.

13. Brickjectivity

Brickjectivity Veteran Member
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,844
    Religion:
    Liberal Christian
    This is happening a lot, increasingly. Someone posts a news article here saying that police labs are backed up, and so suspects have to wait in jail or pay bond while waiting for the tests which is why the suspects wait for so long without any evidence against themselves. War on drugs.

14. sun rise

sun rise "Let there be peace and love among all"
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +13,440
    Religion:
    Love
    What a non-surprise.

15. Enoch07

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,685
    Religion:
    Sure it only takes an hour to run the test.
    But its gotta be shipped to a 3rd party lab which take 2-3 weeks, then the lab is 3 weeks behind schedule so add that to its then another 2-3 weeks to report the findings. You seriously underestimate the red tape and bureaucracy of the govt. This is the reason we don't want govt run healthcare. By the time they decide to help you with medicine or surgery you'll have been dead already for about 3 months.

16. columbus

Ratings:
    +12,605
    Religion:
    None
    This is total b.s..
    Any competent police department could distinguish between honey and meth in a few minutes.

Like your opinion about UHC. Total b.s..

But that's not relevant the the thread. Don't tell me it took almost 3 months for a modestly competent police department to distinguish between honey and meth.

I shudder to think about the conditions in a jail run by such incompetent people. 82 days?
    Tom

17. Revoltingest

Revoltingest Greased up & ready for action!
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +42,282
    Religion:
    Bokononism
    He might get a 10% discount on fees for his incarceration.
    Once again, I see good reason to avoid cops, & to never
    fly, particularly internationally.

18. Enoch07

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,685
    Religion:
    You give them far too much credit.

Red tape and bureaucracy. I requested some hard case steel bolts awhile back for repairs. I could easily go to the local hardware store and use $5 of my own money and fix the problem, would take all of 15 minutes. But I have to follow the rules. Well I put in the request 6 months ago, still no bolts to make the repair. The govt moves too slow to handle most issues.

Sucks and I agree it's wrong. All I am saying that this is the process. And all things considered, was a best case scenario. Don't like it? Lobby for less govt control over our lives.

19. Kangaroo Feathers

Ratings:
    +6,564
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Fascinating watching criminals apologise for police incompetence/mishandling.

20. Dan From Smithville

Dan From Smithville Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,405
    Religion:
    Methodist
    Years ago, when I first moved into this metro area I live in, I happened to be up one evening and heard someone running around behind my apartment and trying the door on my storage room. I looked outside and saw what appeared to be a nude woman sitting in the grass in the dark. I flipped on the light and discovered that it was a young man with long purple hair and no shirt on. He waved his hands at me and yelled, "I'm trying to avoid the cops". I threw the sliding door all the way open and yelled back, "Get the F**k outta here". He did. I saw him a few days later, walking down the street. He apparently avoided the cops. We moved shortly after that and a few other incidents.

My particular means of avoiding the cops works better I think. But when I cannot avoid them, I do not do anything to escalate the encounter. It must be me, but other than one incident, the officers I have met were courteous and respectful. Sometimes even friendly in a fashion. I'm a good guy that they do not make nervous I guess. I think that gets them worried.

A friend who is also an entomologist was stopped in Atlanta carrying two coffee cups containing soil and live specimens of a tiger beetle species that he was studying. Security turned him back, but he was not arrested. The specimens were unregulated, but security did not know what to make of them, and erred on the side of "CYA".