• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inmates

Altfish

Veteran Member
this is a good example. thanks.

it shows the behavior is only mildly negative and it's basically self harming
Not sure about the 'self-harming' bit; it may well be useful as members of the 'group' in that it impresses. They do grow out of it.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Are most inmates who have committed some sort of anti-social behavior, mentally ill?

I could get you exact figures if you like. My wife works with case managers in terms of oversite for people who've been through the justice system.

Not sure about 'most', but the rates of mental illness in prison are very high. In many cases there are drug issues, and there is also the whole chicken and egg of cause and effect.

Plenty of people have mental issues due to environmental factors, and these can similarly promote violence and other criminal behaviour.
(Correlation rather than causation)

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
i'm asking if the people who end up in prison are there because of their unhealthy thinking, or mental illness. in other words, do they not have an unhealthy way of correcting their problems?

Unhealthy thinking is kinda loose, but you shouldn't conflate that with mental illness.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I could get you exact figures if you like. My wife works with case managers in terms of oversite for people who've been through the justice system.

Not sure about 'most', but the rates of mental illness in prison are very high. In many cases there are drug issues, and there is also the whole chicken and egg of cause and effect.

Plenty of people have mental issues due to environmental factors, and these can similarly promote violence and other criminal behaviour.
(Correlation rather than causation)

Thank you. I was hoping to raise awareness by asking this question. I suspect a lot of these people come from less than ideal circumstance and as a result made some bad choices out of ignorance, lack of resources, or even less than ideal parenting. It is unfortunate.

I've had this idea that mental health and criminal activity were correlated with the lack of love. sometimes it takes two broken things to bring one whole thing to reality.

i'm listening

Last edited:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
the road to hell is paved with good intentions that never come to fruition

Sorry, not quite 100% on what you mean.
To clarify my thinking...

Lots of people act in ways I think are short-sighted, and harmful to themselves and others.
The reasons for this are varied.

Mental illness is more about a clinical definition of cause. Most people manage to make crappy decisions regardless.

Are most inmates who have committed some sort of anti-social behavior, mentally ill?

If gays are also mentally ill, because they do something unreasonable.

I don’t think people who do bad or stupid things are necessary mentally ill. To say so gives an excuse to do bad things and I think that is wrong.