• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inhabited Planets

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Mormon has Kolob (l before b) as a star (if I remember correctly).
You remember correctly, but I'm going to add just one quick statement here. You could attend LDS worship services for your entire life and never once hear the word "Kolob" mentioned. I can't believe how non-Mormons have taken a couple of mentions of this word out of hundreds of pages of LDS scripture and have built an entire theology around it. It certainly wouldn't be difficult to find a random, strange-sounding word somewhere in the Old Testament and try to incorporate it as a central tenet of Judaism, but nobody does that, do they?

Skwim

Veteran Member
Look, like you discussing religion I'm not really attempting to be taken seriously on the point. Or, you mostly asked for the recycle, by which I mean you can't break up with someone and then keep driving by their house.
I merely broke off the date, not our tender relationship. It happens all the time around here, and not only with myself.

I'll help you out here...when you find yourself suggesting how the other fellow feels there's likely a point to it that will put your eye out.
Only if the fellow values my opinion so much that it matters. But thank you for the compliment.
emoticon-00111-blush.gif

Which arm do you wave it with (the hand-stitched victory flag)? Because I'm not wrestling against that arm without a brace.
?????? Boy, I've got to bone up on these throws coming in from left field.

Just make an effort to be either funny, or smart, or both. I like to laugh and I enjoy considering different viewpoints, which is why I've never had an ideological litmus for friends or conversation beyond those two noted or combined points.
Make you a deal: I'll make an effort to be funnier, or smarter, or both if you make an effort to edit your script a bit. Wading through lengthy, polysyllabic prose ain't going to win friends or influence people.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Can you be specific? What are these parameters and why are the odds so long?

Oh, there are lots. Take surface temperature stability. Not once in billions of years has the majority of the earths surface fluctuated outside the tiny range of liquid water. How often does that happen?
I don't know and neither does anyone else.
Tom

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Oh, there are lots. Take surface temperature stability. Not once in billions of years has the majority of the earths surface fluctuated outside the tiny range of liquid water. How often does that happen?
Tom
I'm not so sure about that. There's been several serious ice ages where large portion of the planet was frozen and the majority of life died out.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Isn't that from Battlestar Galactica?
Boy, I don't know. It never occurred to me. I just Googled Kolob and there it was, along with a lot of Mormon/Kolob connections. :shrug:

Mormons have the planet Kolob. BSG has the planet Kobol, and 11 other planets. I didn't know Mormons had the other planets as well.
From what I've read there are many such planets.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I'm not so sure about that. There's been several serious ice ages where large portion of the planet was frozen and the majority of life died out.
What?
You think there was a period when the majority of the earths surface was below freezing for more than a few weeks?
Uh, no. The coldest of the ice ages still left most of the planet temperate most of the year. There has never been a period when a huge chunk of the earths surface wasn't in between 5C and 60C. That is a tiny speck of the temperature spectrum between the solar face of Mercury and Pluto. And that is a small part of the difference between the surface of the sun and deep space, which account for the huge majority of the universe.
Tom

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
What?
You think there was a period when the majority of the earths surface was below freezing for more than a few weeks?
Uh, no. The coldest of the ice ages still left most of the planet temperate most of the year. There has never been a period when a huge chunk of the earths surface wasn't in between 5C and 60C. That is a tiny speck of the temperature spectrum between the solar face of Mercury and Pluto. And that is a small part of the difference between the surface of the sun and deep space, which account for the huge majority of the universe.
Tom
You've never heard of the Snowball Earth theory?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowball_Earth

Some argue that it happened more than one time, and that the entire surface was covered with ice. This wasn't at all like the recent ice ages, according to the theory.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
Tom

You never read of "snowball earth" when the entire surface of earth was frozen?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowball_Earth
Was it really? Dunno. I'm old but not THAT OLD.

Demonslayer

From what I've read there are many such planets.

There better be, each dead Mormon gets their very own private planet. It's a pretty sweet deal if you ask me.

Allah give you 72 virgins, which is pretty sweet, but some of them are probably ugly and virgins aren't very good in the sack. Yahweh gives you a cloud and a harp and some wings. Flying would be pretty cool I guess, but harp music is super annoying. But a whole planet? Now that's a giving, loving God!

Skwim

Veteran Member
Nonsense. No you're not.

Yes,
cry.gif
I am.

Maybe a Mormon created the images, maybe not. (Did you notice that on the second picture, Kolob is spelled Kobol? Which is it? I'm not into Battlestar Galactica so I wouldn't know.)
No I didn't. They aren't the same so I removed the image.

It's a star. And God doesn't live on it. God lives in Heaven.
Looking into Kolob a bit, and noting the nearness of the two, heaven must be some kind of physical place.

Pearl of Great Price/Abraham

3:2-3
2 And I saw the stars, that they were very great, and that one of them was nearest unto the throne of God; and there were many great ones which were near unto it;
3 And the Lord said unto me: These are the governing ones; and the name of the great one is Kolob, because it is near unto me, for I am the Lord thy God: I have set this one to govern all those which belong to the same order as that upon which thou standest.​

Last edited:

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
Take surface temperature stability.

But life has proved to be very adaptable on this planet. What about those creatures living in complete blackness around deep-sea vents for example? There are sweet little crabs among other things. ;)

Skwim

Veteran Member
LOL! Google's predictive spell check searches...

In Mormonism? Or BSG?
Mormonism. See post 77.
There better be, each dead Mormon gets their very own private planet. It's a pretty sweet deal if you ask me.

Allah give you 72 virgins, which is pretty sweet, but some of them are probably ugly and virgins aren't very good in the sack. Yahweh gives you a cloud and a harp and some wings. Flying would be pretty cool I guess, but harp music is super annoying. But a whole planet? Now that's a giving, loving God!

Yup, and here's yours. Dress warmly.

o-92078710-570.jpg

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
There are lots of potentially limiting conditions. We have a sample of 1 at the current time. So, we don't at this time know which, if any, of these potential limiting conditions actually are limiting conditions. There are lots of arguments and counterarguments, and precious little real data to base any suppositions on. Most of the key variables have to do not with the number of possible planets that could support life, but with complex organisms and the evolution of sentient manipulative beings similar to humans that could create technology.

On earth today, there are three groups of creatures that seem to have developed complex brains, and therefore may be sentient: great apes, cetaceans, and elephants. A number of other creatures have developed appendages that could allow manipulation of the environment. Humans and the other great apes appear to be the only ones that have so far resulted in technology and civilization. Whether or not those observations can be generalized to the rest of the universe is debatable.

Future discoveries on Mars and several of the moons of the outer planets might give us more insight about the origins of simple life, and maybe even about complex life, but it will be quite a while before we can say anything definitive about these--many decades at the very least, perhaps centuries. And it may be a long time before we can detect evidence of life on planets around other stars, but several scientists are optimistic about being able to build the telescope technology one day--perhaps within a few decades.

So maybe we'll eventually have a sample of greater than 1 to work with. But not today.