• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inhabited Planets

Skwim

Veteran Member
What were those pictures supposed to be of? If you're going to ridicule Mormonism, you ought to at least use legitimate evidence to support your argument. Those pictures have no more to do with Mormonism than they do with Islam or Buddhism.
Sorry. I had no idea that anyone beside a Mormon would care enough about the Kolob planet/star to create such images.

BTW, which is it, a planet or a star?

David1967

Premium Member
This is what I've always thought too. I mean here's the theory:

- An all powerful being who has always existed since forever, sits there for billions and trillions and googleplexes of years, trying to decide what he should do with his infinite power and time.

- Relatively recently (~6000 - 14 billion years ago) this being says "well, I've been sitting around doing nothing for eternity, this week I'm going to create my masterpiece!"

- This being creates a limitless space with 100 octillion stars, countless planets, black holes, cool gassy colorful things...enough space to hold billions or trillions of different kinds of life.

- "And for my magnum opus" all powerful being says "I shall create..."

Some hairless pink monkeys who squabble, smell bad, lose their hair and teeth and pee themselves after about 80 years???

WE are the masterpiece of the most super all powerful being in the megaverse? WE are the best God could come up with???? The universe should have TONS of cool chit. We're it? That's what God came up with after an eternity of thought on what he might make? LOL GOD.

Uh, you said "googleplexes". I like that word :p

jonathan180iq

For all we know, that could be a vast overestimate.
So then let's just agree on a likely percentage. That should be pretty easy, right? How small of a percentage are we willing to accept when discussing the possibility of life arising on other planets.

In our own Solar System, life is known to exist on 1 of the 8 planets. We are still awaiting confirmation of Mars having life in the distant past, but all the signs are there - we just need confirmation. However, for fairness, I will not assume that life ever existed on Mars and we'll just stick with the 1-in-8 chance for now. But I wouldn't dare use a 1-in-8 ratio for the rest of the Universe, because there are simply too many variables involved. Will we accept 1-in-100,000? 1-in-1Million? 1-in-1Billion?

Seriously, let's just come to an agreement on the percentage point and then use some known data to determine the likelihood of life arising elsewhere in the Universe.

.00000000001% ?
.000000000000000000001% ?

**** it. Let's use the smallest number. That's one-one hundred quadrillionth % chance

800 Octillion stars x .000000000000000000001% = 800 Million Solar Systems
We know from actual observations that anywhere from 6-22% of stars in the Milky Way host terrestrial planets in the habitable zone. (We've discovered more than 1,000 exoplanets to date)
So let's use the smaller number, @ 6%. This assumes that for the 800 Million suggested Solar Systems, only 6% of those have planets that could possibly host life as we know it.

800 Million x .06 = 48 Million.

So there's 48 million possible life hosting planets, right? Do you know how many highly unlikely things happen 1 in 50 Million times?

Split Colored Lobsters...
http://wtop.com/watercooler/2015/07/split-colored-lobster-caught-off-maine-1-in-50-million-find/
ODD-Rare-Lobster-1530x1254.jpeg

Identical Triplets...
http://www.metro.us/new-york/rare-i...e-in-50-million-chance/zsJoir---j065RwuTjz7k/
12004969_10153739132956320_7280094758743107056_n.jpg

So things are super ****ing rare, but they happen, don't they? The odds are certainly stacked against them and the variable needed to match up are almost incredibly hopeless if you're just waiting around for it to happen. But, at the end of the day, they do happen, don't they?

If people play the lottery, what are their chances of winning? If it's Powerball, the chances of wining on a single ticket are ridiculously slim - like 1 in 175 Million. But people do win the powerball on a single ticket, don't they? I mean, the largest single Powerball jackpot in history was one on the purchase of a single ticket...
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...0m-ticket-sold-michigan-shell-station-n436666

So, ridiculously rare things still obviously happen... At what point do we have to admit that it's fairly likely that life exists elsewhere in the Universe? How big of a number do we have to use before we concede that it's impossible? Is it even possible to whittle down the possibility to a number so small as to make it impossible given what we know at this point about Astrobiology?

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
No, because deism is not a religion. It is a philosophy that simply states the belief in God based on natural observations, instead of divine revelations through man made scrolls/books. Everything beyond that statement is personal mumbo jumbo.
There is no deist church, holy book, priest hierarchy, etc.

It still involves a belief in "God" though.

Rick O'Shez

If we do the math, I think the universe is far far too small to expect another Earth, let alone another humanity.

Nonsense, the universe is far too big for there not to be other earth-like planets. I think the estimate is about a trillion, and that may well be conservative because we're only talking about the observable universe.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
This is what I've always thought too. I mean here's the theory:

- An all powerful being who has always existed since forever, sits there for billions and trillions and googleplexes of years, trying to decide what he should do with his infinite power and time.

- Relatively recently (~6000 - 14 billion years ago) this being says "well, I've been sitting around doing nothing for eternity, this week I'm going to create my masterpiece!"

- This being creates a limitless space with 100 octillion stars, countless planets, black holes, cool gassy colorful things...enough space to hold billions or trillions of different kinds of life.

- "And for my magnum opus" all powerful being says "I shall create..."

Some hairless pink monkeys who squabble, smell bad, lose their hair and teeth and pee themselves after about 80 years???

WE are the masterpiece of the most super all powerful being in the megaverse? WE are the best God could come up with???? The universe should have TONS of cool chit. We're it? That's what God came up with after an eternity of thought on what he might make? LOL GOD.

And, out of this majestic creation, He selected an ancient tribe in the middle east?

Ciao

- viole

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
It still involves a belief in "God" though.
It doesn't involve any beliefs about God though.
Well, at least mine doesn't. YMMV.
That's why deism is not a theism. Theism is beliefs about god, not just a belief in God(s). I've tried to make this point before, but nobody seems to notice.
Tom

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
Read the post directly above yours. That one even narrows the parameters further and still winds up with an astronomical number.

there is a rough consensus of 10^22 maybe ^24 for the number of stars - perhaps a few more for the unobservable to the extent we can even consider that 'extant'

but that's talking about the region of 100s of billions of trillion stars

(incidentally the Bible compares the number of stars in the heavens with the number of grains of sand on Earth- which was considered a wild exaggeration until we learned it was surprisingly accurate)

We certainly know there are some very long odds in making a planet habitable for complex life- simply identify two different parameters that each have a modest improbability of 1 in 100

those compound each other into 1 in 10000- there go 4 of your 24 zeros already. You get to zilch very quickly this way.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Nonsense. No you're not.
I had no idea that anyone beside a Mormon would care enough about the Kolob planet/star to create such images.
Maybe a Mormon created the images, maybe not. (Did you notice that on the second picture, Kolob is spelled Kobol? Which is it? I'm not into Battlestar Galactica so I wouldn't know.)

People create fantasy and fiction all the time. LDS author, Stephenie Meyer, created the immensely popular "Twilight" trilogy of books. So what? Now you've got a topic for a new thread: "Mormons believe in vampires and werewolves. Mormon-written novels prove it."

It's a star. And God doesn't live on it. God lives in Heaven.

Last edited:

Rick O'Shez

We certainly know there are some very long odds in making a planet habitable for complex life- simply identify two different parameters that each have a modest improbability of 1 in 100

Can you be specific? What are these parameters and why are the odds so long?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
But you believe there is a God, right?
I believe that the universe exists. I call the reason that there is something rather than nothing God.
I don't claim to know any more than that. I see no reason to believe that I or anyone else knows any more on the subject than what we're learning through science.
Tom

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
And we may not want to find intelligent life.
That's also true. At least if they're able to travel in space. I suspect any intelligent life that can develop technology and science will be of the nature of expansion. If our planet is what they want, and they're more advanced than us, we won't have much to say in the matter.

What if it is way more advanced than us,,,,and doesn't like us. Personally though I do tend to believe that with the vastness of space it would be more improbable than not that we are alone. It really would be a terrible waste of space, and from a religious aspect it seems to put a limit on Gods creative power.
Right so. Who to say that God, even the Christian one, didn't create other worlds and gave them other means of salvation? After all, supposedly the Christian God created angles and other mystical and supernatural creatures according to the Bible. Things that we supposedly don't know much or anything about.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Sorry. I had no idea that anyone beside a Mormon would care enough about the Kolob planet/star to create such images.

Mormon has Kolob (l before b) as a star (if I remember correctly).

BSG (TV show) has Kobol (b before l) as a planet, one of 12 colonies. Earth being the "13th" and mythical one that they're trying to find.