• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Information should NOT be free, and other crucial ideas

sealchan

Of course, but this would be the relatively rare exception to the rule. There are charities that provide meals for the poor. That's awesome, but we don't imagine that food is free, do we?

There is an extensive network of food banks in my country. Even in my small town there is a food bank. Food is not free, of course, but it is made freely available to those in need when they need it and cannot pay. The natural generosity of humanity ensures this where it can.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
There is an extensive network of food banks in my country. Even in my small town there is a food bank. Food is not free, of course, but it is made freely available to those in need when they need it and cannot pay. The natural generosity of humanity ensures this where it can.

One way to look at what Lanier is saying is that we ought to acknowledge that information, like food, is never free. We can (and should), find ways to get QUALITY information to the poor. Lanier would claim that we have not yet accomplished that.

The first step is to acknowledge that quality information is not free. Nor should it be. The people who produce quality information need to make a living.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Information isn't static, it needs constant refreshing. Earlier in this thread, someone said something like "Hey, FB should be paying us!" - and that's a key aspect of the idea. Everyone who posts on FB is giving away valuable information to Zuckerberg. Zuckerberg ought to be paying you a bit. Of course we (I guess), want FB to stay in business, so FB still has to make a profit. But Zuckerberg is a multi-billionaire, there's some room in FB's budget to make some small payments back to it's contributors. And make no mistake, when you post on FB you are a contributor of value. Maybe not the value you think you're providing, but value none the less.
From a cursory glance, I would argue that very few people tend to host original research on their FB feeds. It's much more likely for people to post articles or footage from a popular media site, therefore 'boosting' a message, often with the goal of creating a runaway viral effect. So the primary value of an article on FB lies in how many times it has already been shared by other FB users. However, the article originated with the labor of the journalists who created it, not in the person who shares it on FB.

What The Zuck really ought to do - and what a few countries have finally started to pressure him on - is to fairly compensate journalists for the value they provide to both his product (i..e. FB members and their feed activity) and his customers in advertisement.

Of course, if you were to ask for an ideal outcome in my eyes, it would be to dispossess Zuckerberg and turn Facebook into an internationally-governed worker-and-consumer-owned co-operative that would live off of voluntary contributions and ad dollars both.

Access to un-manipulated information as a start.
Access that he would control, and which he would grant in exchange for a fee.
In other words, it's not me who has power or control over my access to information.

Also,if you have ever had to conduct serious research in your professional or academic life, then you will know that sieving presentable information that would make sense to an outsider out of available data is an excruciating process that can take hours or days of a professional's life.
One of the primary ways in which media attracts audiences is in its ability to curate information and present it in a digestible package to specific audiences, so very little information of any media platform wouldn't have been processed and refined with an audience in mind.
Actual raw footage or data is pretty rare and not all that attractive for the most part (with some notable exceptions).

I don't think Lanier is taking capitalism as an irrevocable assumption. But providing a steady stream of new information has a cost associated with it. Someone has to pay for that. Currently, consumers are paying by accepting advertising and data manipulation into our lives. We - the consumers - are at the mercy of advertisers and manipulators. Lanier is proposing that we change that.

Why shouldn't information be traded openly and honestly. Why not let true supply and demand work?
  • Because a well-governed market is itself reliant on customers with access to accurate and reliable information.
  • Because information of the world is a necessity to partake in a modern democracy, and therefore a public utility, and we know that markets are a poor mechanism for distributing necessities and public utilities
  • Because control of vital and necessary information is the first step in control over people's lives and livelihoods.
I could perhaps think of a couple more reasons if I put my mund to it, but those jump at me as the most glaring issues at hand - and please note that I am not singling out Lanier's model here, this applies to any capitalistic information curator devices, be it private press or Facebook.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Of course, if you were to ask for an ideal outcome in my eyes, it would be to dispossess Zuckerberg and turn Facebook into an internationally-governed worker-and-consumer-owned co-operative that would live off of voluntary contributions and ad dollars both.

On the first half of your post we're largely agreed. But what you're not factoring in, is that FB users - by their usage activities - are giving valuable data to FB and it's advertisers - the better to manipulate us with.

==

As for your comments on research, I can accept all of those and claim that they are a fairly small portion of all of the data that gets posted on the net. So it's A factor, but there are many others.

• Because a well-governed market is itself reliant on customers with access to accurate and reliable information.
  • Because information of the world is a necessity to partake in a modern democracy, and therefore a public utility, and we know that markets are a poor mechanism for distributing necessities and public utilities
  • Because control of vital and necessary information is the first step in control over people's lives and livelihoods.

These all seem to be further reasons to try to change this system, no?

No one is saying that it's an easy fix, but the first step is for people to understand what's really going on.