• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Information overload and its detrimental effects on beliefs

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I think this belongs in the Seekers DIR because of late I've been feeling a kinship with those who are doubting their beliefs, or looking for something.

I joke about my backlog of reading and the books I've been collecting, as well as readings on the 'net, mostly Wiki which I know is not the best source. Though if you follow the citations and references, sometimes it's extremely accurate. If the sources are accurate, of course.

Anyway, I've decided that a lot of the books I've collected and thought I wanted to delve into, namely philosophies and schools of Vedanta, meditation techniques, yoga, sadhana, are going to get packed away. I'm not really sure I want to read a full biography of Swami Vivekananda or Paramahansa Yogananda, or treatises on yoga and the Yoga Sutras of Patajnali. Maybe after a time when and IF I don't miss them, I'll donated them to the library. I am even considering scaling down my shrine, carefully bubble-wrapping some (most?) of my idols. It was, I think, my OCPD that caused me to be like a kid in a candy store grabbing books and worship items. I've spent a lot of money, which I probably should not have, given my personal financial situation.

At the risk of offending people, which is certainly not my intent, I even find some of the religious stories, writings and prescriptions to be utter nonsense. I'm not even sure anymore (at least at this point in time) who or what God is and how he is represented! :eek: But I do believe the quotes in my signature; admittedly I am an unabashed universalist, monist and panentheist; perhaps even my deist tendencies are surfacing again. Though I'm not opposed to polytheism subsuming to monism and monotheism. That's henotheism.

I've always been more than a bit of a skeptic, so this quotation, especially the last line, makes an enormous amount of sense to me...

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books.
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.
But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it. – The Buddha

I think I need to coast in neutral again, as I have done in the past, and sort things out. This is where I think my particular method of meditation will be of great help. It has in the past.

These are just some musings that I've wrestled with for a while now and decided to come clean, as it were. There, I said it. ;)

Last edited:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I know how you feel. I'm exactly the same, from the sounds of things.

I bought too many icons and stuff when I first began, as well, when I shouldn't have. Most of them now have been hidden away, carefully bubble-wrapped as well and waiting to see when or if I can release them, or if I wish for them again; they have been replaced with a simple Gaṇeśa, a Buddha, and Jesus upon the cross.

I can certainly see benefit in aniconism nowadays. :D Though I'm inclined to panentheism, universalism, and monolatry instead of henotheism. Do you know anything about panendeism or "spiritual deism"? The latter rather significantly departing from Deism, but I find it interesting nonetheless.

I think some of us just end up seeking a lot; maybe some of us are doomed not to be within a specific religion, but for ever flirting with several established religions, or none, but still spiritually-inclined.

I know I fluctuate between religions a lot of the time. When I think I've found something that works for me, I end up finding something that puts me off. Maybe I'm scared of religious commitment, growing up as an irreligious individual.

Still, we have to accept change and go where it leads us, do we not? :)

Sometimes it feels like the more I learn, the less I know -- though I remain confident in my core beliefs, the outer shell seems to change more frequently.

And this is one of the reasons I wanted the seekers DIR. :)

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
These are just some musings that I've wrestled with for a while now and decided to come clean, as it were. There, I said it. ;)
I used to be a voracious reader, but then it hit me, what exactly do you have to read to tell you about what is already inside of yourself?

That said, you owe it to yourself to read Yogananda's biography. It's marvelous, if for no other reason than to learn about Babaji.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I used to be a voracious reader, but then it hit me, what exactly do you have to read to tell you about what is already inside of yourself?
That said, you owe it to yourself to read Yogananda's biography. It's marvelous, if for no other reason than to learn about Babaji.
Aye, information is useful, but it's also over-rated, since it can be distracting, & most of it isn't needed.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
IMHO, very smart decision, especially with regard to Hindu schools. Pick one and stick with it. If you truly believe, "All paths lead to the same place," (I don't) then why try to take several at once? It seems like redundancy to me.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
IMHO, very smart decision, especially with regard to Hindu schools. Pick one and stick with it. If you truly believe, "All paths lead to the same place," (I don't) then why try to take several at once? It seems like redundancy to me.
Especially given that the "answers" are sitting inside you, all the while... just sayin'...

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I know how you feel. I'm exactly the same, from the sounds of things.

Whew! It's good to know someone else feels this way.

I bought too many icons and stuff when I first began, as well, when I shouldn't have. Most of them now have been hidden away, carefully bubble-wrapped as well and waiting to see when or if I can release them, or if I wish for them again; they have been replaced with a simple Gaṇeśa, a Buddha, and Jesus upon the cross.

I'm going to scale it down to Krishna;, Ganesha; Lakshmi; a small staute of Shiva, Parvati and Ganesha seated together; perhaps my small brass Narasimha; Saraswati; Hanuman; and two or three of the buddhas or bodhisattvas, definitely Chenrezig/Avalokiteshvara and Green Tara. Those are the representations that mean most to me. My partner has enough Jesuses (Jesi?) and Marys around the house to fill a cathedral. :rolleyes:

I had framed pictures of everyone and everything all over, many of which I've taken down. It was just too much, like eating too many cannoli; too much of a good thing is no good. I've already pulled out the books I know I'm not going to read. All of this stuff will go into one box labeled "Religious Stuff" and put somewhere safe (in this house? I'll reach enlightenment before I find space).

I can certainly see benefit in aniconism nowadays. :D Though I'm inclined to panentheism, universalism, and monolatry instead of henotheism. Do you know anything about panendeism or "spiritual deism"? The latter rather significantly departing from Deism, but I find it interesting nonetheless.

I think panendeism and spiritual deism define me and always have (I put the link for anyone who doesn't want to go look it up). I think the 'deities' we mentioned above are representations we are most drawn to. I do believe that Sri Krishna was correct in saying that it is difficult for those who are embodied to focus on the unmanifest on the spiritual path. And that's where that iconism comes in, but I went overboard.

My sadhana was "too everything" also. I'm going to limit it to lighting a lamp, incense, a sweet on the altar, and a few simple mantras. I mainly use gayatri mantras such as:

Aum Narayanaya Vidmahe
Vasudavaya Dhimahi
Tanno Vishnu Prachodayath

The translation being "Let us meditate on Sri Narayana, the Lord who dwells in all beings, and is known as the Sovereign of the world. May that Sri Vishnu inspire and illumine our mind and understanding.”

That's about as far as I go, with maybe a few others for supplication and asking for blessings. God knows what we need before we ask. Jesus said that. That's why he said keep the chit-chat to a minimum. It would sure annoy the hell out of me if someone kept begging me for something (this is why I'm working with Chenrezig for compassion :D).

I think some of us just end up seeking a lot; maybe some of us are doomed not to be within a specific religion, but for ever flirting with several established religions, or none, but still spiritually-inclined.

Someone years ago told me that. I always believed in the Hindu deities and other spiritual beings such as the buddhas and bodhisattvas as the representations that "speak" to me, but I am really anti-religious and anti-ritual. Despite what I said about not knowing what God is, I actually do... the pan-endeistic/entheistic God. I suppose I just didn't want to admit it. Like when I didn't want to accept being gay. :D

I know I fluctuate between religions a lot of the time. When I think I've found something that works for me, I end up finding something that puts me off. Maybe I'm scared of religious commitment, growing up as an irreligious individual.

And I grew up too religious with all the guilt and hang-ups of the RCC. Then I threw myself into the EOC, becoming a parish council member and even a reader. I'll paraphrase Tina Turner "We never do anything nice 'n easy; we always do it nice 'n rough". That's me... all or nothing. :rolleyes:

Still, we have to accept change and go where it leads us, do we not? :)

Yes, and that's what I'm doing now.

Sometimes it feels like the more I learn, the less I know -- though I remain confident in my core beliefs, the outer shell seems to change more frequently.

Yeah! Bingo!

And this is one of the reasons I wanted the seekers DIR. :)

Which is one of the best ideas (no I'm not going to say "since sliced bread" :D) I can think of. There are a lot of... well, seekers.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

:yes: Agreed whole-heartedly.

I'm actually about halfway through the book. I'll reconsider putting it aside and probably finish it. I have a few of his other books; I do like his style and wit. A universalist after my own heart. :D

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Which is one of the best ideas (no I'm not going to say "since sliced bread" :D) I can think of. There are a lot of... well, seekers.
That's the rub though. My advice, cut out the "middle men" and plunge headlong into the source.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

Redundancy!? It's farkin' confusing! :eek: We have discussed this sort of thing before. I think you have an advantage of not having come from any religious background, finding the one and only that speaks to and works for you, with no need to question. I hate to use this word, but I kind of 'envy' that. It makes life so much simpler. Those of us who've had other backgrounds have an advantage too, but a disadvantage... we can see differences and similarities, but that in itself can lead to this sort of crisis. It's a double-edged sword. But then, maybe it's our (all of us) individual karma.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
That's the rub though. My advice, cut out the "middle men" and plunge headlong into the source.

"Always listen to your gut feelings". I've been ignoring mine and trying to force the issue.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I'm going to scale it down to Krishna;, Ganesha; Lakshmi; a small staute of Shiva, Parvati and Ganesha seated together; perhaps my small brass Narasimha; Saraswati; Hanuman; and two or three of the buddhas or bodhisattvas, definitely Chenrezig/Avalokiteshvara and Green Tara. Those are the representations that mean most to me. My partner has enough Jesuses (Jesi?) and Marys around the house to fill a cathedral. :rolleyes:
LOL! How many did you have?! :D

Actually, the only ones I kind of miss from my images at the moment are my Guan Yin and my image of "the Pure Land Buddhist Trinity".

I had framed pictures of everyone and everything all over, many of which I've taken down. It was just too much, like eating too many cannoli; too much of a good thing is no good. I've already pulled out the books I know I'm not going to read. All of this stuff will go into one box labeled "Religious Stuff" and put somewhere safe (in this house? I'll reach enlightenment before I find space).
Haha, I know how you feel. My house is tiny. :D

I think panendeism and spiritual deism define me and always have (I put the link for anyone who doesn't want to go look it up). I think the 'deities' we mentioned above are representations we are most drawn to. I do believe that Sri Krishna was correct in saying that it is difficult for those who are embodied to focus on the unmanifest on the spiritual path. And that's where that iconism comes in, but I went overboard.
Yeah, I agree. Icons are great, but it's easy to go overboard with them. Still, they do help with focusing. :)

My sadhana was "too everything" also. I'm going to limit it to lighting a lamp, incense, a sweet on the altar, and a few simple mantras. I mainly use gayatri mantras such as:

[snip for space]
I used to do the exact same thing before I stopped. It just became unproductive for me, spiritually, as well, since I felt it was just becoming a mindless routine.

[...] Despite what I said about not knowing what God is, I actually do... the pan-endeistic/entheistic God. I suppose I just didn't want to admit it. Like when I didn't want to accept being gay. :D
That's a start then. :D

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I live a very simple religious life ... Ganesha, Siva, Muruga ... one Guru,, one temple, will go to more, one wife, no more, one mantra, occasionally use another one, one basic puja, few clothes, we're downsizing the house, simple diet, pilgrimage once a year, temple once a week, ... many would say its a dull life ... but when you try to go in, well, simple makes it easier ... sorry for the ramble,

but I do wish you luck in this ever-evolving shifting religious landscape you've embarked on.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
LOL! How many did you have?! :D

Think of St. Peter's Basilica and you might begin to comprehend. :D Well, you know my penchant for hyperbole and melodrama, but let's say I took down about 13-14 pictures (wall and standing frames), and a good 8-10 idols are getting packed away, including the Ram Parivar. This goes against the grain of many Vaishnavas, but I could never get close to Rama. :run:

Yeah, I agree. Icons are great, but it's easy to go overboard with them. Still, they do help with focusing. :)

Some of them are so pretty though! :D I have a picture of Maa Saraswati where I play guitar. She has been inspiration.

I used to do the exact same thing before I stopped. It just became unproductive for me, spiritually, as well, since I felt it was just becoming a mindless routine.

I'm embarassed to say this, but not only was it becoming mindless, I was not looking forward to doing it. I did it because I "had to".

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I live a very simple religious life ... Ganesha, Siva, Muruga ... one Guru,, one temple, will go to more, one wife, no more, one mantra, occasionally use another one, one basic puja, few clothes, we're downsizing the house, simple diet, pilgrimage once a year, temple once a week, ... many would say its a dull life ... but when you try to go in, well, simple makes it easier ... sorry for the ramble,

Simple is good.

but I do wish you luck in this ever-evolving shifting religious landscape you've embarked on.

Thanks. :)

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Think of St. Peter's Basilica and you might begin to comprehend. :D Well, you know my penchant for hyperbole and melodrama, but let's say I took down about 13-14 pictures (wall and standing frames), and a good 8-10 idols are getting packed away, including the Ram Parivar. This goes against the grain of many Vaishnavas, but I could never get close to Rama. :run:
I couldn't get too close to Rāma either; I was also more interested in Śiva and the Vedic devas. I've always had a soft spot for Buddhism, except for a few things here 'n there.

I'm embarassed to say this, but not only was it becoming mindless, I was not looking forward to doing it. I did it because I "had to".
Same here. It went from something of enjoyment to feeling obligatory. Maybe this is why we both downsized?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I couldn't get too close to Rāma either; I was also more interested in Śiva and the Vedic devas. I've always had a soft spot for Buddhism, except for a few things here 'n there.

I've been drawn to Shiva also. I recite the Mahamrityunjaya mantra and this one I particularly like:

Om Namaste Astu Bhagavan
Vishveshvarāya Mahadevāya
Trāyambakāya Tripurantakāya
Trikagnikalāya Kalagnirudrāya
Nilhakanthāya Mrityunjāyāya
Sarveshvarāya Sadashivāya
Shriman Mahadevāya namaha

Same here. It went from something of enjoyment to feeling obligatory. Maybe this is why we both downsized?

I think so. :yes:

Dingbat

Especially given that the "answers" are sitting inside you, all the while... just sayin'...

Agreed, and that was the crux of my problem I went spinning after whatever outside source I could find in a rather haphazard manner. I did learn a lot from it though it often left me overwhelmed and not very spiritually connected by the time I was done.

haribol

Information overload is the problem of the day. We receive great pools of information and most of what we hear are harmful and it is not so easy to discard information once it is received and set in our minds

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Agreed, and that was the crux of my problem I went spinning after whatever outside source I could find in a rather haphazard manner. I did learn a lot from it though it often left me overwhelmed and not very spiritually connected by the time I was done.

"not very spiritually connected by the time I was done" is a very apt way to describe it. Right now I feel totally empty and disconnected. When my partner asked why I was putting so much away, I said there was too much religious superstition and silliness around the house, not to mention dust collectors, meaning outward displays that become meaningless ends-in-themselves. He was aghast because I never talked this way before. But it's how I feel right now.

Information overload is the problem of the day. We receive great pools of information and most of what we hear are harmful and it is not so easy to discard information once it is received and set in our minds

Conflicting information is part of the problem. Books, articles, magazines, the internet, even human teachers, authorities and experts... all present enormous amounts of information that are often contradictory.