• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Information Ecosystems" and the political divide

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Info several months to several years old is fresh.
2000 years? Long past its best-used-by-date.
I think it depends on what one classes as 'information'. Magna Carta is nearly 1,000 years old but what it says is still seen as the basis of a lot of English common law and thought. If we can extract some use from it in a moral, judicial or cultural sense, I think it can be classed as a useful kind of information. Similarly the Qur'an is useful to me not because I'm a Muslim, but because it contains stories that were floating around Arabia at that time in history and gives us insight into a rich cultural religious tapestry largely whitewashed by modern Christianity, but preserved in the Qur'an.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think it depends on what one classes as 'information'. Magna Carta is nearly 1,000 years old but what it says is still seen as the basis of a lot of English common law and thought. If we can extract some use from it in a moral, judicial or cultural sense, I think it can be classed as a useful kind of information. Similarly the Qur'an is useful to me not because I'm a Muslim, but because it contains stories that were floating around Arabia at that time in history and gives us insight into a rich cultural religious tapestry largely whitewashed by modern Christianity, but preserved in the Qur'an.
The Magna Carta is a set of values rather than info.
And the Koran is as valid now as it was then.