• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Influence of Religion

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
For religious people...

How has religion influenced your decisions in life?
Since I don't follow a formal religion, I'll speak to the influence of my spiritual beliefs.

To me, a belief is just hot air unless it's put into practice in practical ways. So my time volunteering and so forth is determined by my beliefs.

For example I spend time at the https://www.whiteponyexpress.org/free-general-store My beliefs are reflected on the motto on the trucks "All of us taking care of all of us".

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

My experiences and subsequent realizations have led me to not stand in judgment of others, which impacts my decisions on how to react to the behaviors of others, leading to a significant reduction in suffering, both for myself and for others around me.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
For religious people...

I would say 70 % of my life up to now was decided by religion, I was raised as a Christian, then converted to Buddhism, first as a religion than to cultivation path. And at the end of last year, I change the cultivation path to Falun Gong( because Buddhism could not get me to the level of enlightenment anymore)
I answered 70% because some years when I was younger was not dedicated to much to religious practice, when people asked, i only said i believed in Christianity at that time, but i made many many mistakes maybe every day

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
For religious people...

Jeremiah wrote that man can't direct his own step (Jeremiah 10:23; 17:9)
I agree with what King Solomon wrote that man has dominated man to man's hurt, man's injury - Ecclesiastes 8:9
So, to me this is a reason why God sent Jesus to step in.
'Step in' so that our life style, our decisions are Not by trial and error but influenced by ethical principles or standards.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
My experiences and subsequent realizations have led me to not stand in judgment of others, which impacts my decisions on how to react to the behaviors of others, leading to a significant reduction in suffering, both for myself and for others around me.

Karma and reincarnation are both really important in my day to day thinking. Believing all actions return to me means if I'm not compassionate or hurtful, I'm actually beating myself up. With reincarnation, it just brings on a lot of patience ... recognising that mistakes are meant to happen, and then learning not to repeat them.

Galateasdream

Religion of some kind, mostly varying forms of Christianity, has been an important part of my life for a long time.

It has caused me great suffering, and great joy. Led me into understanding and confusion. Opened and closed my mind. It would be impossible to list all the influences because it's all pervasive - it touches everything, all my choices.

But, on a really mundane day to day level I'd say currently it affects me in the following ways:
A) it gives me a great deal of psychological and emotional comfort
B) it gives me interesting things to talk about and think about
C) it informs, a little, my moral explorations and choices
D) it sometimes gives me things to do I wouldn't do otherwise (like pray)

I'm hopeful that sometime in the future it'll also help me in finding a community of people to hang with :)