• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Infastructure Bill Signed, Now What

esmith

Veteran Member
Weekly jobless claims plunge to 199,000, the lowest level since 1969 - The Washington Post

The number of Americans filing initial unemployment claims fell to 199,000 — the lowest level since November 1969 — the Labor Department reported Wednesday.

Claims were down more than 71,000 for the week that ended Nov. 20, compared with the week before. This marks the eighth straight week of declines and a pivotal shift, with claims now down well below pre-pandemic levels. In 2019, average weekly jobless claims hovered around 220,000.​
You do realize don't you that just because the jobless claims drops does not mean more people are working.?
Obviously not.

The nation's jobless claims are an extremely important indicator for a macroeconomic analysis. The monthly Bureau of Labor Statistics' Employment Report tracks how many new people have filed for unemployment benefits in the previous week. It is a good gauge of the U.S. job market. For instance, when more people file for unemployment benefits, it generally means fewer people have jobs, and vice versa.

Unemployment compensation is paid by the state to unemployed workers who have lost their jobs due to layoffs or retrenchment. It is meant to provide a source of income for jobless workers until they can find employment. In order to be eligible for unemployment compensation, specific criteria must be satisfied, such as having worked for a minimum stipulated period and actively looking for a job.

above from: Jobless Claims

esmith

Veteran Member
I know this will near totally depress the Pubs here, but it was announced that we have now the lowest unemployment rate since the 1960's.

Unemployment Lowest Since 1960s as Employers Add 136K Jobs | Economy | US News

Oh, I'm sure that some Pubs will still find some problem somewhere somehow.
Sure will.
Repeat.....unemployment rate does not necessaryly mean that people are working. All it means is that there are less people filing for unemployment.
Open you eyes......businesses can not find workers.
See the post just above yours......well you can't because you probably have me on ignore because you can't handle the truth.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Sure will.
Repeat.....unemployment rate does not necessaryly mean that people are working. All it means is that there are less people filing for unemployment.
See the post just above yours......well you can't because you probably have me on ignore because you can't handle the truth.
Businesses should try increasing their wages and maybe offering some benefits or something, if they're having that much of a hard time finding employees.
I mean, if you can't get any applicants, something is probably wrong with what you're doing.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Sure will.

I don't see any problem in businesses not being able to find workers. That sounds awesome in principle.
It means they have to compete for workers, meaning better wages or working conditions without the need to increase the minimum wage through law. Sound just great.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It's funny how American conservatives seem to be against taxes and against taking up debt to finance necessary expenses.

I would be very keen to know how they imagine a government ought to pay its bills.

For starters..

Eliminate special interest and lobbying.

Focus on GDP instead of borrowing.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Businesses should try increasing their wages and maybe offering some benefits or something, if they're having that much of a hard time finding employees.
I mean, if you can't get any applicants, something is probably wrong with what you're doing.
Exactly, and now there is significant competition for those working for low wages to seek jobs in companies offering higher wages. Also, the issue of high costs for child & senior care is forcing people to look for higher-wage jobs.

My point is that millions of people have decided for one reason or another that their old job ain't worth returning to, thus they're either deciding to sit home and/or seek better ones. For some to say that this is the Biden administration's fault is all so childish, but what should we expect from those who get their "news" from the Fox Propaganda Channel. :shrug:

esmith

Veteran Member
Exactly, and now there is significant competition for those working for low wages to seek jobs in companies offering higher wages. Also, the issue of high costs for child & senior care is forcing people to look for higher-wage jobs.

My point is that millions of people have decided for one reason or another that their old job ain't worth returning to, thus they're either deciding to sit home and/or seek better ones. For some to say that this is the Biden administration's fault is all so childish, but what should we expect from those who get their "news" from the Fox Propaganda Channel. :shrug:
It doesn't matter to the voters; if things are going bad in the county they will always blame the party in power.
Has always been that way and always will be.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
I don't see any problem in businesses not being able to find workers. That sounds awesome in principle.
It means they have to compete for workers, meaning better wages or working conditions without the need to increase the minimum wage through law. Sound just great.
Like I said, it's a free market lovers dream!

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
It doesn't matter to the voters; if things are going bad in the county they will always blame the party in power.
Has always been that way and always will be.
Unless they find a group of people, typically ethnic or religious minorities, to offload the blame onto.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
Unless they find a group of people, typically ethnic or religious minorities, to offload the blame onto.
Yup, and it gets worse when a politician starts speaking to that, like when TFG warned "they're coming for the suburbs".

esmith

Veteran Member
Um.....did you actually read the article? It answers the question you asked. The people who are "sitting out" of the job market right now are 1) not willing to work part time, 2) busy taking care of family, 3) changing careers, or 4) worried about COVID.
We'll see what the situation is next spring.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Um.....did you actually read the article? It answers the question you asked. The people who are "sitting out" of the job market right now are 1) not willing to work part time, 2) busy taking care of family, 3) changing careers, or 4) worried about COVID.
Trump's base don't like nor want facts-- just revenge because their super-hero lost. The intelligent and honest Pubs have left or are leaving the Party of Ill Repute or wishing some sane and honest Pub will defeat him in the primaries if he chooses to run in 2024.