1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured infant baptism

Discussion in 'Interfaith Discussion' started by syo, Sep 28, 2017.

1. syo

syo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,137
    Religion:
    pagan, omnist
    should infants of believers be baptised? I think, yes, because believers want the best for their children, and religion is important in their beliefs. what do you think?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sunstone

Sunstone De Diablo Del Fora
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +37,808
    Religion:
    Non-Theistic Mysticism
    My mother was of the staunch opinion that religion was far too important to allow children to form and hold firm opinions about it. She believed that only an emotionally and intellectually mature individual could make such decisions -- and only for themselves. She got a lot of flak for that, but stuck to her beliefs -- which wasn't always easy, but she took religion very seriously.

• Winner Winner x 4
  3. Sanzbir

Sanzbir Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +614
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    I think no, because the benefits one can have from a ceremony like baptism will be lost if the person can't remember their ceremony.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. SabahTheLoner

SabahTheLoner Master of the Art of Couch Potato Cuddles

Ratings:
    +484
    Religion:
    Luciferian Witch
    A baptism should be done when someone is old enough to make that choice for themselves. I was baptized when I was an infant but I have moved far from the belief system of which I was baptized. I have no recollection of religion being important to me and I don't believe in the miracles or worldview of a biblical nature. From a Christian view it was a baptism that turned out to be rather disappointing.

• Like Like x 1
  5. leibowde84

leibowde84 Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +5,456
    Religion:
    Agnostic Atheist
    Personally, I think they should hold off on any religious initiation until they are mature enough to make an informed decision. I don't see any rational reason why waiting would cause any harm.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Quintessence

Quintessence Tale Weaver
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +15,726
    Religion:
    Druidry
    Is it in keeping with your traditions? Then do it.
    If it isn't in keeping with your traditions? Then don't do it.

Not really my affair either way.

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. 9-10ths_Penguin

9-10ths_Penguin 1/10 Subway Stalinist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +18,501
    Religion:
    None (atheist)
    When my (Catholic) ex and I were trying to have kids, the issue of baptism came up.

Based on my reading of the Catechism, my take on the Catholic position on the necessity of baptism was basically "newborn babies are so evil that a wise, loving god could very well be perfectly justified in torturing them forever, so we need to sprinkle them with water in a special way to erase this evil."

The water-sprinkling part struck me as more silly than anything else, but I had major misgivings about standing in front of my friends and family, nodding along that yes, a child of mine was born so evil he might be worthy of eternal torment.

Short version: do it if you want, but I find the Catholic take on it so offensive that I would never take part in the ritual for a child of mine. For other denominations, it depends on what they believe baptism represents.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. URAVIP2ME

URAVIP2ME Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +2,456
    Since I find a person needs to make a personal dedication to God before baptism, then how could an infant make that dedication. People need to repent before making a dedication that leads to baptism.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Jesster

Jesster Friendly skeptic
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,335
    Religion:
    Agnostic Atheist / Secular Humanist
    I guess it doesn't hurt anyone. It's just kind of dumb, to be quite honest. What do you honestly think it will accomplish? What's far more infuriating is watching people indoctrinate their children into their religion when those children are first able to start understanding what's going on around them. Let them make up their own minds.

I may be injecting some of my own frustrations with my parents into this, so excuse me if I'm I'm sounding flustered.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DavidFirth

DavidFirth Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,322
    Religion:
    Christian
    If the parents want it, then, sure. If they don't they shouldn't be required to do it.

• Like Like x 2
  11. 9-10ths_Penguin

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +18,501
    Religion:
    None (atheist)
    What benefits?

12. 9-10ths_Penguin

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +18,501
    Religion:
    None (atheist)
    For countries where churches get subsidies based on the size of their membership rolls, or where churches claim real authority over all baptized people, it's everyone's affair the same was that general governance is everyone's affair.

13. Tumah

Tumah Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +8,421
    Religion:
    Mega-Super-Ultra-Orthodox Judaism
    I don't see why it should matter. No one is losing anything.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Erebus

Erebus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,610
    I was Christened as a child because my mum believed it would help protect me. Her religious views are kind of unorthodox, the best way I can describe them would be sort of Christian/Neo-Pagan syncretism. She's also suffered on and off with OCD for quite some time and not Christening me could have been a real source of stress for her. I don't begrudge her that decision despite eventually settling on Paganism.

Now in general, I find baptism of children a little distasteful. Not massively, it just doesn't quite sit right with me considering how much importance I place on individual choice and responsibility. I would say though that allowing a child freedom of religion in later life is far more important than whether or not you baptize them.

So I guess ultimately I'd say do it if you really feel you must. Otherwise, I feel it's better to let your kid choose whether to be baptized or not when they're old enough to make a reasonably informed decision.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Sanzbir

Sanzbir Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +614
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    The same mental benefits of meditation, prayer, or ritual. :rolleyes:

16. Tina57

Tina57 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Religion:
    JWs

17. 9-10ths_Penguin

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +18,501
    Religion:
    None (atheist)
    Which are...?

18. syo

syo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,137
    Religion:
    pagan, omnist
    infant baptism is not in the bible, that's correct.

19. pearl

pearl Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,886
    Religion:
    Catholic
    However it does state the baptism of entire households which would include children and infants. And by the 3rd cent according to the baptismal regulations of Hippolytus, "And at the hour when the cock crows they shall pray over the water. When they come to the water let the water be pure and flowing. And they shall put of their clothes. And they shall baptize the little children first. And if they can answer for themselves let them answer. But if they cannot, let their parents answer or someone from their family. "

When the powers that be within the Catholic church attempted to determine that the souls of the unbaptized were not 'saved', they were at a loss with what to do with infants who died before baptism, therefore 'limbo', because they did not know! Limbo was initially nothing but a 'marginal' note.

Within the Church infant baptism does not require a commitment from the child, this is later after ten years of instruction, at Confirmation which would be the equivalent of adult baptism in some denominations.

• Like Like x 1
  20. 9-10ths_Penguin

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +18,501
    Religion:
    None (atheist)
    Baptism is certainly taken as a commitment. The Catholic Church considers any baptized person a Christian, regardless of whether they get confirmed later.

... or regardless of whether they even set foot in a church. Only Christians were subject to the Inquisition, but it was often the case that a housekeeper or whatnot would come forward to claim that she secretly baptized some prominent member of the local Jewish community, which would put him under the authority of the Inquisition and guilty of the "sin" of "Judaizing."

• Like Like x 1