• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Infancy Gospel of Thomas

Rational Agnostic

Anyone here read the Infancy Gospel of Thomas? If not, it's very short and can be found online. According to this gospel, young Jesus has a violent temper, and curses people more often than he blesses them. Do I think this gospel is an accurate depiction of Jesus' childhood? Of course not, but it's interesting, and also hilarious if one views it as nothing more than a weird fictional story (as I do). Interesting to note however is that its ending is almost exactly the same as the biblical story about Jesus' youth at age 12. Of course, I don't view the biblical gospels as being reliable either, but that's another topic. Thoughts?

whirlingmerc

Anyone here read the Infancy Gospel of Thomas? If not, it's very short and can be found online. According to this gospel, young Jesus has a violent temper, and curses people more often than he blesses them. Do I think this gospel is an accurate depiction of Jesus' childhood? Of course not, but it's interesting, and also hilarious if one views it as nothing more than a weird fictional story (as I do). Interesting to note however is that its ending is almost exactly the same as the biblical story about Jesus' youth at age 12. Of course, I don't view the biblical gospels as being reliable either, but that's another topic. Thoughts?

The church never accepted 'the gospel of Thomas' Some frivolous miracles where Jesus as a child makes clay birds and breaths life into them. Mary Mag told she had to become a man to be saved... probably part of the bitter fruits of the crusades... not an original gospel

I would pass it over. Many false gospels have big names attached and came late. The gospel of Peter is really odd. The cross comes out of the tomb talking with angels... another fake

One the other hand the gospels written by John and Luke refer to themselves not by name but in 3rd person or some other indirection out of humility... those are the real deal

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
You are confusing the Gospel of Thomas with the Infancy Gospel of Thomas, two works very different in tone and composition.

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
Please explain the difference?
They are different books. The Gospel of Thomas was a book of wisdom sayings attributed to Christ, written around the same time as the canonical gospels. It contains very little narrative, aside from exchanges between Jesus and the Disciples, like the conversation about Mary cited in the above post. We lack a full copy of the original text, as our earliest copy is a partial one; we do possess a fuller version, but since it was recovered from the Nag Hammadi cache, most scholars believe it is a modified translation with an explicitly Gnostic bias. We know little about its reception in the ancient world, as it is scarcely mentioned in other texts. It does share quite a lot of material with the Synoptic Gospels, however, and may have been one of Luke's sources (disputed). Many scholars believe that it preserves some genuine quotations from Jesus not preserved by other sources, while many others consider it purely fictional and heretical. It has seen a considerable revival of interest and popularity since its re-publication in English, French, etc following the Nag Hammadi translation over the last decade.

The Infancy Gospel of Thomas is a sort of religious romance novel, very common in the mid 2nd century. These were essentially adventure stories that expanded on the life and careers of Jesus and the first apostles, clearly directed at an audience who had never met any of the protagonists. This particular book was widely known in the ancient world, and considered fictional if not outright heretical by pretty much every other author who mentions it. It reads as a kind of massive expansion of the first few chapters of Luke, filling in more details about Jesus as a child and the miracles that presaged his power and might when he was but a wee bairn. As with the other book, it is considered a Gnostic work, and our best copy comes from the Nag Hammadi assemblage. Most scholars agree that its status is quite dubious, and at best a sort of midrash on the familiar gospels; I know of no one who considers it a genuine description of Jesus' historical existence, though many acknowledge it as an interesting example of the diversity and creativity of the early Christian movement.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
The church never accepted 'the gospel of Thomas' Some frivolous miracles where Jesus as a child makes clay birds and breaths life into them. Mary Mag told she had to become a man to be saved... probably part of the bitter fruits of the crusades... not an original gospel
Probably? Check the date of the First Crusade as compared to the date range posited for the Infancy Gospels.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Parenthetically, I found the following somewhat interesting ...

While non-canonical in Christianity, the Infancy Gospel of Thomas is said by scholars to influence Islamic beliefs about Jesus along with the Protevangelium of James, with the Qur'an containing references to many stories found in both works. One theory suggested is that Christians in Mecca at the time of Mohammed's life only knew of these texts and not of the Canonical Gospels, but this is contested. [wiki]​