• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Infallibility

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
The declaration of Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him)
"There was a prophet of God in India who was dark in colour and his name was ‘Kahan’." (“Taarikh-i-Hamdaan Dailami” Baab-ul-Kaaf. See Pocket book p: 854 by Malik Abdur Rehman Khadim 6th edition Published in 1952)

The Ahmadiyya Muslim Community which is nothing but the true Islam believe Krishna, Zoroaster and Buddha were all Prophets of God though their teachings as is usually the case were corrupted by their subsequent followers.

https://www.alislam.org/hindi/Shri-Krishan-Ji-Aur-Kalki-Avatar.pdf (Hindi)
Hinduism (English)

Islam instructs us not only to respect all Prophets of other major religions of the world but to believe in all previous Prophets and lack of belief in their truth renders a Muslim's faith invalid.

It seems then in Islam or at least in the Ahmadiyya version of Islam, a number of great personalities from before the prophet Muhammed are also seen as prophets, but their teachings are seen as having been corrupted which would thus have to explain why their teachings are not ("no longer") well enough in line with the teachings in the Quoran as interpreted by the Ahmadiyya movement.

So the founder of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community has to be seen as infallible to be capable of correctly explaining how all these prophets of God have been wrongly interpreted by their later followers.

I suppose the founder of my own tradition is in a sense also seen as infallible in his own interpretation of the status of other former great personalities because if his followers were not to accept that new interpretation, that would (for them) put in doubt the status of (the mind of) the founder.

The only difference is that the founder of my tradition never declares that the words of other great personalities of the past have been corrupted but he does give his own interpretations of the lives and teachings of some of them, so in another way he is also correcting the perceived historical distortions.

So whom of all these so-called infallible founders has the correct reformed interpretations of the teachings of their predecessors? There is no way that they can all be equally infallible and yet come to such very different views of earlier great personalities and their teachings?

This I think is the problem with speaking in terms of infallibility and corruption. You may think that the founder of your own movement or tradition is all-knowing or in possesion of ultimate wisdom and it may even be true. But how you choose your words regarding the truths or visions of other movements matters.

Last edited:

InvestigateTruth

But these aren't manifestations writing these things. They were people. So what do you think happened? God planted in their brain to say symbolic things in the middle of telling about an historical event?
How do we know if other inspired prophets did not write them?

InvestigateTruth

No - that's not what I said - I said Abdu'l Baha's argument was silly because it relates the beginning of the universe to the idea of the virgin birth...there is no connection and to argue that because God is omnipotent and able to create a universe He can also cause a virgin to give birth is to open the door to any supernatural event no matter how preposterously unlikely - once you've done that, you cannot then fall back on naturalistic interpretations to deny that the earth stood still for Joshua, that there was a global flood in Noah's day, that God created the entire universe in 7 literal 24 hour days a few thousand years ago or that Jesus was physically resurrected from the dead.

If you are invoking naturalistic explanations to deny the possibility of these "miracles" then you also have to deny the virgin birth. And to say one is possible but the other not is completely arbitrary. It has nothing to do with logic - it is about consistency of argumentation. But you certainly don't have logic on your side in this - logic alone allows for any and all of the miracles I listed - but naturalistic science rules them all out.

Anyway, it was the argument I said was silly, not the belief - although it certainly would be silly for me to believe it given that I set a much greater value on naturalistic explanations than supernatural ones.

I also think there is another way that at least some of these "miracles" could be reconciled with both naturalism and belief in God's deliberate "intervention". God could simply have allowed people to experience a "vision" of, say, the sun standing still - or an exceptionally long day - or the bodily ascension of Jesus after his resurrection to implant in their minds a spiritual notion of divine support and favour. I'm not saying I believe this (I don't) - but I do think it is a more consistent way of understanding them than to suggest arbitrarily that this one was a genuine miracle whilst that one was merely a made-up story concocted for religious purposes.
I dont think you understood Abdulbahas statements and the points. You should quote him, and then explain why you think what He says is illogical to you.

siti

I dont think you understood Abdulbahas statements and the points. You should quote him, and then explain why you think what He says is illogical to you.
In fact I already did that in post #190, but I can go through it in more detail if you like:

Here's a link to the relevant page in SAQ Bahá'í Reference Library - Some Answered Questions, Pages 87-88

And here's the entire argument (in blue) with my comments in black and in square parentheses

The materialists believe that there must be marriage, and say that a living body cannot be created from a lifeless body, and without male and female there cannot be fecundation.[Yes, they do] And they think that not only with man, but also with animals and plants, it is impossible. For this union of the male and female exists in all living beings and plants. [No - that is untrue some living things reproduce asexually] This pairing of things is even shown forth in the Qur’án: “Glory be to Him Who has created all the pairs: of such things as the earth produceth, and of themselves; and of things which they know not” 2 —that is to say, men, animals and plants are all in pairs—“and of everything have We created two kinds”—that is to say, We have created all the beings through pairing.[OK]
Briefly, they say a man without a human father cannot be imagined. In answer, the theologians say: “This thing is not impossible and unachievable, but it has not been seen; and there is a great difference between a thing which is impossible and one which is unknown. For example, in former times the telegraph, which causes the East and the West to communicate, was unknown but not impossible; photography and phonography were unknown but not impossible.”[Hmmm. Flimsy argument - none of these things depend on any circumvention of natural processes and all of them were - even by ABs time, demonstrated over and over again]
The materialists insist upon this belief, and the theologians reply: “Is this globe eternal or phenomenal?” The materialists answer that, according to science and important discoveries, it is established that it is phenomenal; in the beginning it was a flaming globe, and gradually it became temperate; a crust was formed around it, and upon this crust plants came into existence, then animals, and finally man.

The theologians say: “Then from your statement it has become evident and clear that mankind is phenomenal upon the globe, and not eternal. Then surely the first man had neither father nor mother, for the existence of man is phenomenal.
[But that simply doesn't follow - it is a non-sequitur - a logical fallacy - the globe had precedent - a swirling cloud of stellar debris that condensed to form the solar system including the earth - likewise the first man - perhaps his father and mother were not fully human but he still had parents - and in the case of man, biological parents...and even if you go back to the very beginning - even before the phenomenal globe existed, the precursors for biological reproduction - i.e. atoms and quarks etc. - were already in existence - and before that we simply do not know - in fact the universe that gave birth to both the phenomenal globe and the phenomenon of human life might very well be eternal for all we know]. Is not the creation of man without father and mother, even though gradually, more difficult than if he had simply come into existence without a father? [No - it isn't - it is the entire point of evolution]. As you admit that the first man came into existence without father or mother [No we have not admitted that] —whether it be gradually or at once—there can remain no doubt that a man without a human father is also possible and admissible [No - it isn't, this conclusion is based on misrepresenting the materialist position and science]; you cannot consider this impossible [yes I can, and I do]; otherwise, you are illogical [No Mr Baha - you are illogical - you have set up a straw man, and then via a non sequitur jumped to an entirely indefensible conclusion]. For example, if you say that this lamp has once been lighted without wick and oil, and then say that it is impossible to light it without the wick, this is illogical. [But you cannot light that kind of lamp without wick or oil can you? - Did Abdu'l Baha demonstrate how to light an oil lamp with no oil? - No? I didn't think so. Can you have a fire without fuel? No you can't - and simply saying if you could it would be possible is absolutely meaningless]. Christ had a mother; the first man, as the materialists believe, had neither father nor mother. [No they do not believe this - this is just repeating the straw man that AB set up in the first place. No materialist would ever argue that the first man "had neither father nor mother".]

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
How do we know if other inspired prophets did not write them?
So an "inspired" prophet's writings are considered the "Word of God"? How about the New Testament... were the writers inspired prophets that wrote it? Making it the "infallible" word of God like Christians claim it is?

That would be a little awkward, because some Baha'is like to point out that the writers were probably not eyewitnesses to the events they wrote about. Which means what I wonder? Are they trying to insinuate that they wrote about the traditions and legends about what Jesus said and did and not what actually happened? I could believe that. How about you?

Of course that creates another problem... then the NT is not the Word of God but the words of men. But that would solve the issue about whether the writings are infallible or not. They definitely wouldn't be. They'd be nothing but the biased, embellished writings of the followers of Jesus. I could believe that. How about you?

KT Shamim

Ahmadiyya Muslim Community
It seems then in Islam or at least in the Ahmadiyya version of Islam, a number of great personalities from before the prophet Muhammed are also seen as prophets, but their teachings are seen as having been corrupted which would thus have to explain why their teachings are not ("no longer") well enough in line with the teachings in the Quoran as interpreted by the Ahmadiyya movement.

So the founder of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community has to be seen as infallible to be capable of correctly explaining how all these prophets of God have been wrongly interpreted by their later followers.

I suppose the founder of my own tradition is in a sense also seen as infallible in his own interpretation of the status of other former great personalities because if his followers were not to accept that new interpretation, that would (for them) put in doubt the status of (the mind of) the founder.

The only difference is that the founder of my tradition never declares that the words of other great personalities of the past have been corrupted but he does give his own interpretations of the lives and teachings of some of them, so in another way he is also correcting the perceived historical distortions.

So whom of all these so-called infallible founders has the correct reformed interpretations of the teachings of their predecessors? There is no way that they can all be equally infallible and yet come to such very different views of earlier great personalities and their teachings?

This I think is the problem with speaking in terms of infallibility and corruption. You may think that the founder of your own movement or tradition is all-knowing or in possesion of ultimate wisdom and it may even be true. But how you choose your words regarding the truths or visions of other movements matters.
Well, I should complicate this matter by mentioning that corruption is not the only factor.

1. Fundamentals are all the same (and can be seen very particularly in the moral teachings being pretty much uniform across religions).

2. Corruption by humans (or historical distortions putting it diplomatically) (intentional by hypocrites or unintentional due to memory, lack of books, lack of understanding, etc.) also leads to requirement of a God-sent to clarify the past.

3. Evolution of religion. For example from tooth for tooth in Judaism to turn the other cheek in Christianity to the balanced approach presented in Islam. Although I do believe Islam is the pinnacle of said religious evolution.

InvestigateTruth

So an "inspired" prophet's writings are considered the "Word of God"? How about the New Testament... were the writers inspired prophets that wrote it? Making it the "infallible" word of God like Christians claim it is?

That would be a little awkward, because some Baha'is like to point out that the writers were probably not eyewitnesses to the events they wrote about. Which means what I wonder? Are they trying to insinuate that they wrote about the traditions and legends about what Jesus said and did and not what actually happened? I could believe that. How about you?

Of course that creates another problem... then the NT is not the Word of God but the words of men. But that would solve the issue about whether the writings are infallible or not. They definitely wouldn't be. They'd be nothing but the biased, embellished writings of the followers of Jesus. I could believe that. How about you?

The Manifestations of God are All-knowing. The other prophets who are not Manifestations, are not All-knowing, but with regards to their mission, they are infallible. So, what they wrote is the truth. Just because it is not the word of God directly, it does not mean it is false. Those prophets who wrote the New Testaments were infallible according to the will of God, however, the books of NT were copied or transcribed later from generation to generation by ordinary men who were believers. These ordinary men could have made mistakes when they copied those books, but it is not like they altered the Books of the Prophets intentionally, because when a man had believed the Bible is inspired by God, would not alter it. Thus, minor errors are certainly made in Bible unintentionally, but it is not like they invented something like the Sun stand still.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
So when did this idea that a scripture or a prophet or a messenger or a pope is absolutely perfect in every way come into practice? Has it been there since early times, or is it more recent? What purpose does it serve?

What or who do you consider infallible, if anything?

As an eastern thinker and logical person, I don't get infallibility. To be clear, I understand what it means, I just don't get how anyone else could believe in it, yet I know some do. I just shake my head and go 'really?'

Here's an example. "I'm infallible. I said I was infallible, and since I'm infallible, it is only logical to conclude I'm infallible. I mean, how could an infallible person claiming to be infallible possibly be wrong?"

Does this sound logical to you?

I think the Pope was supposed to be God's spokesman on earth. The Catholic had, has authority over the Bible. They decided what went into the Bible, guided by the Holy Spirit. So the authority of the Church, guided by the Holy Spirit is infallible.

The Protestants rejected the authority of the Pope/Church. They placed sole authority into the Bible along with an inherent infallibility.

InvestigateTruth

In fact I already did that in post #190, but I can go through it in more detail if you like:

Here's a link to the relevant page in SAQ Bahá'í Reference Library - Some Answered Questions, Pages 87-88

And here's the entire argument (in blue) with my comments in black and in square parentheses

The materialists believe that there must be marriage, and say that a living body cannot be created from a lifeless body, and without male and female there cannot be fecundation.[Yes, they do] And they think that not only with man, but also with animals and plants, it is impossible. For this union of the male and female exists in all living beings and plants. [No - that is untrue some living things reproduce asexually] This pairing of things is even shown forth in the Qur’án: “Glory be to Him Who has created all the pairs: of such things as the earth produceth, and of themselves; and of things which they know not” 2 —that is to say, men, animals and plants are all in pairs—“and of everything have We created two kinds”—that is to say, We have created all the beings through pairing.[OK]
Briefly, they say a man without a human father cannot be imagined. In answer, the theologians say: “This thing is not impossible and unachievable, but it has not been seen; and there is a great difference between a thing which is impossible and one which is unknown. For example, in former times the telegraph, which causes the East and the West to communicate, was unknown but not impossible; photography and phonography were unknown but not impossible.”[Hmmm. Flimsy argument - none of these things depend on any circumvention of natural processes and all of them were - even by ABs time, demonstrated over and over again]
The materialists insist upon this belief, and the theologians reply: “Is this globe eternal or phenomenal?” The materialists answer that, according to science and important discoveries, it is established that it is phenomenal; in the beginning it was a flaming globe, and gradually it became temperate; a crust was formed around it, and upon this crust plants came into existence, then animals, and finally man.

The theologians say: “Then from your statement it has become evident and clear that mankind is phenomenal upon the globe, and not eternal. Then surely the first man had neither father nor mother, for the existence of man is phenomenal.
[But that simply doesn't follow - it is a non-sequitur - a logical fallacy - the globe had precedent - a swirling cloud of stellar debris that condensed to form the solar system including the earth - likewise the first man - perhaps his father and mother were not fully human but he still had parents - and in the case of man, biological parents...and even if you go back to the very beginning - even before the phenomenal globe existed, the precursors for biological reproduction - i.e. atoms and quarks etc. - were already in existence - and before that we simply do not know - in fact the universe that gave birth to both the phenomenal globe and the phenomenon of human life might very well be eternal for all we know]. Is not the creation of man without father and mother, even though gradually, more difficult than if he had simply come into existence without a father? [No - it isn't - it is the entire point of evolution]. As you admit that the first man came into existence without father or mother [No we have not admitted that] —whether it be gradually or at once—there can remain no doubt that a man without a human father is also possible and admissible [No - it isn't, this conclusion is based on misrepresenting the materialist position and science]; you cannot consider this impossible [yes I can, and I do]; otherwise, you are illogical [No Mr Baha - you are illogical - you have set up a straw man, and then via a non sequitur jumped to an entirely indefensible conclusion]. For example, if you say that this lamp has once been lighted without wick and oil, and then say that it is impossible to light it without the wick, this is illogical. [But you cannot light that kind of lamp without wick or oil can you? - Did Abdu'l Baha demonstrate how to light an oil lamp with no oil? - No? I didn't think so. Can you have a fire without fuel? No you can't - and simply saying if you could it would be possible is absolutely meaningless]. Christ had a mother; the first man, as the materialists believe, had neither father nor mother. [No they do not believe this - this is just repeating the straw man that AB set up in the first place. No materialist would ever argue that the first man "had neither father nor mother".]
At least you did not say this time that Abdulbaha is saying just because God created men out of nothing, He can also create them without father as you had said in your previous post. This was your previous understanding.
What Abdulbaha is referring here is how conversations between a believer and a non-believer would go with this regard generally, and specially in His own time. All non-believers agree that human existence originated without father and mother, since there was a time that no one existed on earth, and though this was a gradual process, it does not change this fact. We are not talking about Birth of a first human. We are talking about whether it was phenominal or eternal.

Basically, the possibility of virgin birth can be discussed from 3 perspectives:

1. Divine power: this would result in an illogical fallacy. When someone says, since God created first human without father and mother, He can also create man without father, then it would be said, therefore God caused the Sun to stand still as well, which we know scientifically is impossible. We note that, this is not the argument Abdulbaha is giving. He does not even bring God, into this discussion.
2. From current science: the current science has nothing to say about the virgin birth. It just cannot prove or disprove the possibility of a virgin birth. But with regards to Sun being stand still, the science can disprove such a thing, since, scientists know exactly the forces envolved, and if such a thing would happened, it means the Laws of physics were to break. But with regards to virgin birth, it cannot prove for such a thing to happen, the Laws of physics would have to break. Therefore science cannot give a definit result to us.
3. From a purely logical approach. Now, if you are familiar with logic in math, if we say event A is possible without B and C, then we can conclude, event A is not impossible with B, but with C. Therefore, if we apply same logic, it follows that, if human could come to existence with Father and Mother, it is false to say, it is impossible for a human to come to existence without father but with mother.
And the example that Abdulbaha gives for the lamp without oil and wick is just to teach this logic. Now, a lamp purpose is to give light, and regardless if it is electrical or not, it is a lamp. So, a lamp can be lit without oil and wick in case of electrical, thus lighting a lamp is possible without wick if an electrical is used.
The problem people have is, they bring science into this logical argument, when the fact is, science simply cannot disprove it. For example, science does not know the conditions that first caused living species to appear on earth, and it may never be able to know, but that does not mean it can disprove it. In my opinion, acceptance of a virgin birth possibility requires open mindness to things that we just do not know for sure.

Last edited:

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
At least you did not say this time that Abdulbaha is saying just because God created men out of nothing, He can also create them without father as you had said in your previous post. This was your previous understanding.
What Abdulbaha is referring here is how conversations between a believer and a non-believer would go with this regard generally, and specially in His own time. All non-believers agree that human existence originated without father and mother, since there was a time that no one existed on earth, and though this was a gradual process, it does not change this fact. We are not talking about Birth of a first human. We are talking about whether it was phenominal or eternal.

Basically, the possibility of virgin birth can be discussed from 3 perspectives:

1. Divine power: this would result in an illogical fallacy. When someone says, since God created first human without father and mother, He can also create man without father, then it would be said, therefore God caused the Sun to stand still as well, which we know scientifically is impossible. We note that, this is not the argument Abdulbaha is giving. He does not even bring God, into this discussion.
2. From current science: the current science has nothing to say about the virgin birth. It just cannot prove or disprove the possibility of a virgin birth. But with regards to Sun being stand still, the science can disprove such a thing, since, scientists know exactly the forces envolved, and if such a thing would happened, it means the Laws of physics were to break. But with regards to virgin birth, it cannot prove for such a thing to happen, the Laws of physics would have to break. Therefore science cannot give a definit result to us.
3. From a purely logical approach. Now, if you are familiar with logic in math, if we say event A is possible without B and C, then we can conclude, event A is not impossible with B, but with C. Therefore, if we apply same logic, it follows that, if human could come to existence with Father and Mother, it is false to say, it is impossible for a human to come to existence without father but with mother.
And the example that Abdulbaha gives for the lamp without oil and wick is just to teach this logic. Now, a lamp purpose is to give light, and regardless if it is electrical or not, it is a lamp. So, a lamp can be lit without oil and wick in case of electrical, thus lighting a lamp is possible without wick if an electrical is used.
The problem people have is, they bring science into this logical argument, when the fact is, science simply cannot disprove it. For example, science does not know the conditions that first caused living species to appear on earth, and it may never be able to know, but that does not mean it can disprove it. In my opinion, acceptance of a virgin birth possibility requires open mindness to things that we just do not know for sure.
Still, when the story was written, hundreds and hundreds of years ago, was it illogical and against scientific knowledge of the time to have the sun stand still?

InvestigateTruth

Still, when the story was written, hundreds and hundreds of years ago, was it illogical and against scientific knowledge of the time to have the sun stand still?
I would imagine, to most people it was unknown if such a thing is possible or impossible scientifically. But to them still would have been a miracle. What can we conclude?

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
The Baha'i prophet, according to Baha's is indeed infallible. Not only that but he declared it for himself. There are others as well.

I'm with you. You have extra beer?

So when did this idea that a scripture or a prophet or a messenger or a pope is absolutely perfect in every way come into practice? Has it been there since early times, or is it more recent? What purpose does it serve?

What or who do you consider infallible, if anything?

As an eastern thinker and logical person, I don't get infallibility. To be clear, I understand what it means, I just don't get how anyone else could believe in it, yet I know some do. I just shake my head and go 'really?'

Here's an example. "I'm infallible. I said I was infallible, and since I'm infallible, it is only logical to conclude I'm infallible. I mean, how could an infallible person claiming to be infallible possibly be wrong?"

Does this sound logical to you?

Since recorded history prophets and messengers have appeared with holy scriptures to guide mankind.

Infallibility or perfect judgement I consider to be but one attribute of God, the All-Knowing, the All Wise.

God generated the universe and existence through a Word from Him. He says ‘Be’ and ‘it is’. He desired to be loved so He created us to be His lovers and wants to share His gifts with us.

Every atom in existence has been brought into being for our training that we may advance in knowledge and spirituality and be fit to become His lovers.

In exchange for this existence He gives us life and we can experience sentiments that only humans can experience such as bliss, joy, happiness and contentment, the knowledge of the God, the love of God, sciences and spiritual virtues.

Because God is God, He has perfect knowledge which He shares with us and if we follow His counsels and guidance we will find true happiness but He wants us to freely choose that path voluntarily.

God only offers infallible knowledge to us for our own benefit to use or reject as we wish but as He’s God and has perfect knowledge of everything we would gain much from following the best advice we could ever hope to obtain.

Whenever we want to build a house or undertake a project or find out about our health we consult experts as they have knowledge we don’t and can help us.

The Prophets and Messengers are the Divine Physicians and Experts Who have Their Fingers on the pulse of humanity and in Their unerring wisdom prescribe the remedy for each ages problems.

The elixer brought to humanity for this age by Baha’u’llah is the consciousness of the oneness of mankind.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
The Manifestations of God are All-knowing. The other prophets who are not Manifestations, are not All-knowing, but with regards to their mission, they are infallible. So, what they wrote is the truth. Just because it is not the word of God directly, it does not mean it is false. Those prophets who wrote the New Testaments were infallible according to the will of God, however, the books of NT were copied or transcribed later from generation to generation by ordinary men who were believers. These ordinary men could have made mistakes when they copied those books, but it is not like they altered the Books of the Prophets intentionally, because when a man had believed the Bible is inspired by God, would not alter it. Thus, minor errors are certainly made in Bible unintentionally, but it is not like they invented something like the Sun stand still.
So is that the official Baha'i position that the writers of the NT were prophets and what they wrote was the infallible word of God? Only problem is... they lied. They said Jesus came back to life and met with them and they spoke with him and touched him. And, later, they witnessed him ascend into the clouds. But Baha'is say that didn't happen... that everything about Jesus after he was killed is all symbolic.

So, for that to happen, and for it not to be a lie, they had to know they were writing something symbolic. But they wrote it as if it really happened. They gave zero clues as to it not being real, historical events. The Baha'is say they know it has to be symbolic, because it goes against science. But they had no such scientific knowledge at that time.

The other problem that Baha'is have added into the mix is that the "Truth" is relative. Yes, I'd agree... if you meant that each religion developed by what people thought was "The Truth", but it was only their truth... it wasn't the ultimate unchanging truth from an all-knowing God. It was their best understanding of the truth based on the spiritual things they thought were true. Like how Christians take some of the ideas from Judaism and mold them to fit their theological ideas.

Things like... Did Adam and Eve sin and cause the "fall" of man? Did sin and death enter the world because of Adam? Did Satan deceive Eve by disguising himself as a talking snake? Was there a rebellion in heaven and Satan and his angels get cast out? Did God prepare a place of torment for Satan and his angels... and all the people that don't believe the "Truth"? And that "Truth" is that Jesus is the Son of God and was sent to Earth to pay the penalty for a sinful humanity? That by his sacrifice, all those that believe in him will be saved from eternal torment? Are those the "infallible" truths given to people from God by the "prophets" of the NT?

No, only Christians believe that. That is only their "truth". Did it come from God? They think it did. They think the whole Bible is the infallible word of God, even though they don't believe all of the Jewish part applies today. Ironic isn't it. They use the same excuse, or reason, Baha'is do for making all other religions' sacred writings as true and not eternally true at the same time.

But now what about errors? You say only "minor" errors? Changing Isaac for Ishmael as the son to be sacrificed by Abraham is not a minor error. Jews and Christians believe it was Isaac. Baha'is and Moslems believe it was Ishmael. An error in transcribing? An on purpose manipulation of the "truth" by a Jewish scribe? And Christians went along with the deception? Or what?

But you know each religion has to think it has the real truth, the real infallible truth, or why follow it? Why believe in it? If it was just "relative" for a time? If that's what is happening then God is misleading people as to what is the truth.

The Baha'i truth is that all religions are one. To prove that, though, Baha'is have to show how all other religions had "The Truth", originally, but lost it along the way. Whether by misinterpreting their prophets words or by adding man made traditions into the prophets teachings... But somehow, Baha'is have to make the beliefs that contradict the Baha'i version of truth wrong. By doing this, Baha'is make all the other religions and everything they believe in obsolete. So they can say that the old religions had a relative truth, for their time and place, but the Baha'i Faith has the infallible Truth for today... it until the next prophet makes it relative and obsolete?

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Since recorded history prophets and messengers have appeared with holy scriptures to guide mankind.

Infallibility or perfect judgement I consider to be but one attribute of God, the All-Knowing, the All Wise.

God generated the universe and existence through a Word from Him. He says ‘Be’ and ‘it is’. He desired to be loved so He created us to be His lovers and wants to share His gifts with us.

Every atom in existence has been brought into being for our training that we may advance in knowledge and spirituality and be fit to become His lovers.

In exchange for this existence He gives us life and we can experience sentiments that only humans can experience such as bliss, joy, happiness and contentment, the knowledge of the God, the love of God, sciences and spiritual virtues.

Because God is God, He has perfect knowledge which He shares with us and if we follow His counsels and guidance we will find true happiness but He wants us to freely choose that path voluntarily.

God only offers infallible knowledge to us for our own benefit to use or reject as we wish but as He’s God and has perfect knowledge of everything we would gain much from following the best advice we could ever hope to obtain.

Whenever we want to build a house or undertake a project or find out about our health we consult experts as they have knowledge we don’t and can help us.

The Prophets and Messengers are the Divine Physicians and Experts Who have Their Fingers on the pulse of humanity and in Their unerring wisdom prescribe the remedy for each ages problems.

The elixer brought to humanity for this age by Baha’u’llah is the consciousness of the oneness of mankind.
There was a girl I wanted to be my lover. I tried and tried to teach her what she needed to do to be my lover. I tried and tried to get her to do as I said. I don't know why it didn't work out?

siti

In my opinion, acceptance of a virgin birth possibility requires open mindness to things that we just do not know for sure.
And in my opinion, acceptance of a virgin birth possibility requires blindly credulous belief in something that we know for certain could not possibly have happened.

The rest of your post is a load of old cobblers to be honest - and entirely unbecoming of an educated person. For example:

All non-believers agree that human existence originated without father and mother, since there was a time that no one existed on earth, and though this was a gradual process

Of course we know that humans came into existence via a gradual process that ultimately tracks back to an earth with no living things at all on it. But the evolution of sexual reproduction was a necessary precursor to the emergence of human life and an absolutely vitally necessary part of the emergence of every human that has ever walked the earth. To suggest that because evolution managed to produce humans over millions of years of evolution is even remotely connected to the question of the virgin birth is absolutely preposterous.

We are talking about whether it was phenominal or eternal.
Yes - that is the basis of Abdu'l Baha's argument and that is about the only question that is worthy of serious consideration - but certainly not in direct reference to the virgin birth. Even asking the question from the point of view of whether or not God might have caused a virgin to give birth, betrays a western monotheistic bias - from a different perspective, physical reality might well be viewed as "eternally phenomenal" - in which case, AB's argument makes no sense because the process that leads up to the emergence of humans has no beginning but rather is part of an endless process which continually and inevitably gives rise to continually evolving manifestations of life. From the perspective of some of the earlier (eastern) "Manifestations" that your faith reveres, a virgin birth would be an entirely inconsequential and unnecessary fabrication - because life itself just is - no beginning and no end. And science certainly cannot deny this despite the theists lustfully grasping at the idea of the Big Bang as support for their divine Creator hypothesis. There are very profound philosophical reasons to suspect that the Big Bang was not truly the beginning of anything but just an event (a rather important one from our perspective to be sure, but nevertheless just another event) in the much greater "life of the eternal universe". Neither logic nor science can deny that. And that floors AB's argument because his argument is based on the reality of "beginnings" - and in a universe that IS a process, there can't really be any "beginnings" or "ends" - if the "clock" stops and there is no-one to wind it up - how does it get started again? The clock cannot be allowed to stop - ever. Not in reality even if it does in monotheism and in popular conceptions of western science.

I don't expect you to either grasp or accept the philosophical subtleties in the last paragraph, but philosophically, AB's argument holds no water at all. Scientifically, his argument is absurd. And logically, one could prove that almost anything is possible - but that really doesn't prove anything at all. I could prove logically that it was possible for God to have made the sun stand still - all that is required is for God to suspend the laws of universal gravity for a spell and then, by some other means ensure that everything else on earth continued as normal. Logically, if there is an omnipotent God - that would be possible. Wouldn't it?!!

InvestigateTruth

So is that the official Baha'i position that the writers of the NT were prophets and what they wrote was the infallible word of God? Only problem is... they lied. They said Jesus came back to life and met with them and they spoke with him and touched him. And, later, they witnessed him ascend into the clouds. But Baha'is say that didn't happen... that everything about Jesus after he was killed is all symbolic.

So, for that to happen, and for it not to be a lie, they had to know they were writing something symbolic. But they wrote it as if it really happened. They gave zero clues as to it not being real, historical events. The Baha'is say they know it has to be symbolic, because it goes against science. But they had no such scientific knowledge at that time.

The other problem that Baha'is have added into the mix is that the "Truth" is relative. Yes, I'd agree... if you meant that each religion developed by what people thought was "The Truth", but it was only their truth... it wasn't the ultimate unchanging truth from an all-knowing God. It was their best understanding of the truth based on the spiritual things they thought were true. Like how Christians take some of the ideas from Judaism and mold them to fit their theological ideas.

Things like... Did Adam and Eve sin and cause the "fall" of man? Did sin and death enter the world because of Adam? Did Satan deceive Eve by disguising himself as a talking snake? Was there a rebellion in heaven and Satan and his angels get cast out? Did God prepare a place of torment for Satan and his angels... and all the people that don't believe the "Truth"? And that "Truth" is that Jesus is the Son of God and was sent to Earth to pay the penalty for a sinful humanity? That by his sacrifice, all those that believe in him will be saved from eternal torment? Are those the "infallible" truths given to people from God by the "prophets" of the NT?

No, only Christians believe that. That is only their "truth". Did it come from God? They think it did. They think the whole Bible is the infallible word of God, even though they don't believe all of the Jewish part applies today. Ironic isn't it. They use the same excuse, or reason, Baha'is do for making all other religions' sacred writings as true and not eternally true at the same time.

But now what about errors? You say only "minor" errors? Changing Isaac for Ishmael as the son to be sacrificed by Abraham is not a minor error. Jews and Christians believe it was Isaac. Baha'is and Moslems believe it was Ishmael. An error in transcribing? An on purpose manipulation of the "truth" by a Jewish scribe? And Christians went along with the deception? Or what?

But you know each religion has to think it has the real truth, the real infallible truth, or why follow it? Why believe in it? If it was just "relative" for a time? If that's what is happening then God is misleading people as to what is the truth.

The Baha'i truth is that all religions are one. To prove that, though, Baha'is have to show how all other religions had "The Truth", originally, but lost it along the way. Whether by misinterpreting their prophets words or by adding man made traditions into the prophets teachings... But somehow, Baha'is have to make the beliefs that contradict the Baha'i version of truth wrong. By doing this, Baha'is make all the other religions and everything they believe in obsolete. So they can say that the old religions had a relative truth, for their time and place, but the Baha'i Faith has the infallible Truth for today... it until the next prophet makes it relative and obsolete?
There is a lot to discuss in your post, but I will address some of them, and hopefully later more.

First, why do you think that if the Book has symbolic verses and story, it would be lie?
You are saying that, it has no indication that they are symbolic. But in my view a clear heart would recognize they are not literal. Why? Because a pure heart is not after miracles according to Jesus. The book has many indications, that God does not do miracles to convince a people. If you read the story of Christ, He rejected doing any miracles for them, and said to them, only a wicket generation asks for a miracle, no miracle will be given. Thus those other miracle stories of Jesus would be symbolic, otherwise Jesus would have contradicted Himself, which is impossible for God.

Now, if someone wants to learn about the ways of God, he would from this same story, easily accept, that all other miracles would not have happened literally, right? But when people do not learn about the ways of God from the Book, he would get mislead. But whose fault is it? The prophets or the people who do not want to understand the book? Likewise there are many other indications in the other books of OT, which would teach God speaks parables, figures and metaphors.
Moreover, suppose, the scientific levels of people of old times was not high enough to know the Sun standing still is impossible scientifically, and perhaps took these symbolic expressions literally. After all, everyone is answerable towards God, with regards to their actions. God still loves those who are kind, generous and forgiving. He would not punish anyone for not being able to know what is beyond their knowledge, but when He reveals the Truth in this new Age, and teaches the True meaning of symbolic verses, it would be now blameworthy to deprive ourselves from the truth.

Last edited:

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Good to read your words again. You know I disagree, but it's all good. Hope all is well with you.

So happy to see you again Vinayaka.

I’ve been in and out of hospital, 9 days on one stay and they can’t cure me so I’m just going to continue to live and be happy.

But it’s great to be back here!

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
So happy to see you again Vinayaka.

I’ve been in and out of hospital, 9 days on one stay and they can’t cure me so I’m just going to continue to live and be happy.

But it’s great to be back here!

That's the only attitude one can have, in my view, under the circumstances, until you're totally bedridden. People who wallow in self-pity only make it worse for themselves, and loved ones around them. I hope I am able to have similar upbeat outlook when the time comes to leave this bag of bones behind for awhile.

I was moving about 20 wheelbarrows full of dirt a day most of the summer, but finally the back sort of gave out. So now I'm recuperating.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
There was a girl I wanted to be my lover. I tried and tried to teach her what she needed to do to be my lover. I tried and tried to get her to do as I said. I don't know why it didn't work out?

Love cannot be forced. If we don’t feel love it’s useless too try and force it. So God too does not force us. But it does not matter. God loves us whether or not we reciprocate.