• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inevitable Sexism?

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Are there things in how people interact with each other (or not interact), regardless of how small they are, that you would consider inevitable, acceptable or understandable forms of sexism?

If so, what are some examples of those, and would you call it sexism in those cases, or label it something else?

If you don't think there are any such things, i'd also be interested in your reasoning.

dust1n

Zindīq
I think there will always be forms in which people will senselessly receive unnecessary condemnation and judgment. I'm not sure any of particular one is going to be strong enough to live forever.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Are there things in how people interact with each other (or not interact), regardless of how small they are, that you would consider inevitable, acceptable or understandable forms of sexism?

If so, what are some examples of those, and would you call it sexism in those cases, or label it something else?

If you don't think there are any such things, i'd also be interested in your reasoning.
I'm not sure.

The sexes have different bodies in terms of how they look and feel and function, different hormone levels, and to a limited extent different brain organization. There's a huge amount of overlap between the sexes (way more overlap than differences, by orders of magnitude) but I don't expect statistical differences in gender expression between the sexes to be 100% abolished.

So I would expect certain stereotypes or assumptions to go on for quite a while, even if the various "big things" become taken care of and society becomes very egalitarian and very accepting of people of all sexes in all roles. There are some jobs that I wouldn't expect 50/50 sex ratios to perhaps ever occur in except for in extraordinary circumstances like a war or national policy or something. These aspects may continue to fuel mild sexism for the foreseeable future.

Some aspects of gender-related chivalry will probably be rather persistent, I'd imagine. And people may always have trouble treating potential-mates and non-potential-mates completely identically. Interacting with someone you're attracted to, whether it's a little bit or a lot, adds a variable that isn't present when interacting with someone that you're not attracted to.

I'm fairly satisfied as long as people do their best to avoid harmful assumptions, change them when they are aware of them, and treat individuals based on their own qualities rather than due to ideas about their sex or gender.

Sexism is defined as gender-based "prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination." Prejudice, stereotyping and discrimination are often understandable, but never inevitable or desirable. "Acceptable" is a pretty useless adjective; just because something may be relatively acceptable doesn't mean it's right. We should always throughout our lives be working to eliminate all forms of prejudice, stereotyping and discrimination from ourselves.