• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inerrancy of the Bible and other Religious Texts

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
joeboonda said:
It is interesting to note that the Bible itself claims to use the 'foolishness of preaching' to confound the 'wise'. The pattern it sets up is, one preaches the good news of Christ, one hears the good news, through the working of the Holy Spirit, one believes the message and trusts Christ and is saved. If one does not feel the conviction of the Holy Spirit, and accept on child-like faith, the message, it is unlikely that any amount of research or reasoning will sway them. However, I still do not believe we need to 'check our brains at the door' to believe in Jesus and the Bible. There have been a great many scholars, lawyers, scientists, historians, archeologists, and doctors, etc. Who, in setting out to disprove the Bible, came to faith as a result. I am not going to try to 'prove' the Bible, I may say, though,there is a great body of evidence out there, Josh McDowell has a HUGE book called The New Evidence That Demands a Verdict, which has tons of very interesting evidence, worth a read for anyone.PEACE!
Hi, Joe.

I read that book (well, some of it) and it's a great book. Since God calls His writings the Word of God, and God is perfect, that makes the Word of God perfect. Everyone and their brother like to say it comes from corrupted texts, but then when I always ask which one then is the true line that God said He'd preserve (Psalm 12:7), their keyboards lock up.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
joeboonda said:
I am not going to try to 'prove' the Bible, I may say, though,there is a great body of evidence out there, Josh McDowell has a HUGE book called The New Evidence That Demands a Verdict, which has tons of very interesting evidence, worth a read for anyone.PEACE!
Tons? Really? Take one - just one - and present and defend it. Your choice. We'll wait ...

Pah

Uber all member
AV1611 said:
Please don't.
Please don't ask us to define what you think inerrancy is in your faith? It's a legitimate question seeing as you defend it so strongly

Pah

Uber all member
joeboonda said:
...Josh McDowell has a HUGE book called The New Evidence That Demands a Verdict, which has tons of very interesting evidence, worth a read for anyone.PEACE!
Please use the The New Evidence That Demands a Verdict, Evidence I & II. I've already flaged that edition.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Pah said:
Please don't ask us to define what you think inerrancy is in your faith? It's a legitimate question seeing as you defend it so strongly
Ok, PAH, fair enough.

I'm not sure how Fade meant it, or how it's meant in the thread title, but as I use it, I mean "without error".

Pah

Uber all member
AV1611 said:
Ok, PAH, fair enough.

I'm not sure how Fade meant it, or how it's meant in the thread title, but as I use it, I mean "without error".
There are several listed that have a "without error" standard. Which one fits your meaning or "without error"?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Pah said:
There are several listed that have a "without error" standard. Which one fits your meaning or "without error"?
For pity's sake.

a) 2 + 2 = 4
b) 2 + 2 = 5

Which of the above statements is without error?

But to humor you, since I need to define what I mean by "without error" according to Garp (or whatever his name is), I'll go back and plod through that stuff and see which one is the closest so you won't be confused.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
AV1611 said:
I'll go back and plod through that stuff and see which one is the closest so you won't be confused.
Number 2, PAH, but stop at the first comma.

joeboonda

If you have read Josh McDowell's book, and still come away a skeptic, there is nothing I can or will even try to say to help you, God have mercy on your soul mate, I really mean it, I am so sorry you cannot see after reading that, its overwhelming to me.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
joeboonda said:
[quote="Deut. 32.8]
joeboonda said:
I am not going to try to 'prove' the Bible, I may say, though,there is a great body of evidence out there, Josh McDowell has a HUGE book called The New Evidence That Demands a Verdict, which has tons of very interesting evidence, worth a read for anyone.PEACE!
Tons? Really? Take one - just one - and present and defend it. Your choice. We'll wait ...
If you have read Josh McDowell's book, and still come away a skeptic, there is nothing I can or will even try to say to help you, ...[/QUOTE]I'm not asking you to help me. I'm suggesting that you are wholly incapable of finding a single decent and defensible argument in his book. All I am asking for is one probative item from the "tons of very interesting evidence".

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Let's stay on topic everyone. Proving or disproving the "Inerrancy of the Bible and other Religious Texts"

Thanks.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
AV1611 said:
With God preserving it spotless - (Psalm 12:7).
Bad translation! You must be using the KJV. :)
AV1611 said:
If you disagree with any of the three above, tell it someone who cares.
Pah, don't pay too much attention to the Psalm 12:7 reference. He's confused by a faulty translation.
AV1611 said:
IDon't try to make ME look stupid. I can do that on my own.
OK

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Deut. 32.8 said:
I'm not asking you to help me. I'm suggesting that you are wholly incapable of finding a single decent and defensible argument in his book. All I am asking for is one probative item from the "tons of very interesting evidence". How telling that you can only respond with limp condescension.
As I said before, Deut, the Bible is the Word of God, and since God is perfect, so is the Bible. Again: if A = B; and B = C; then A = C.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
AV1611 said:
As I said before, Deut, the Bible is the Word of God, and since God is perfect, so is the Bible. Again: if A = B; and B = C; then A = C.
From that can you see the question that is screaming at me?

Other than, "it says so," why do you think the Bible is the, "Word of God"?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Maize said:
From that can you see the question that is screaming at me?

Other than, "it says so," why do you think the Bible is the, "Word of God"?
Okay, Maize, let's parse this and see if I can't get YOU to say the same thing?

Let's please stay on the subject?

Question 1 of 3: Is God perfect?

Please, just a yes or no, and YOUR opinion.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
AV1611 said:
Question 1 of 3: Is God perfect?

Please, just a yes or no, and YOUR opinion.
Well, if you know anything about UUs, we cannot give a simple yes or no to a question! I'm not for sure that there is a God (as you refer to one), but being the agnostic theist that I am, I like to think there is, and of course I would want to believe that this God is perfect. So, I think my answer is Yes, but take it how you want.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Maize said:
Well, if you know anything about UUs, we cannot give a simple yes or no to a question! I'm not for sure that there is a God (as you refer to one), but being the agnostic theist that I am, I like to think there is, and of course I would want to believe that this God is perfect. So, I think my answer is Yes, but take it how you want.
Oops, sorry, Maize, I didn't notice you were a Unitarian. Okay, I'll rephrase then:

Question 2 of 3: Do I think that the Bible is the Word of God?