• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inerrancy and Infallibility of the Bible

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
So what? What makes you believe that this necessarily refers to the Catholic religion? I know the Catholic church makes the claim, but they've also claimed a lot of other stuff, not all of which was completely sane.
You don't find it curious that all forms of Christianity that predate Protestantism more resemble Catholicism in both doctrine and practice? Maybe I'm wrong and the Orthodox Church is the true Church. But even in that case my error is being on the wrong side of a schism rather than having an incorrect faith. We know what the early Christians believed because we have their writings. Either they were in error or Protestantism is an sixteenth century innovation with no substantive ties to historical Christianity as it stood the the first fifteen hundred years.

Gee, do you think it could be that it wasn't established as dogma until 150 years ago?
The Church defines what it claims has always been believed.

Over time as challenges to the faith emerge, counsels are called to articulate the faith via dogmatic action. Vatican I no more invented papal infallibility than Nicaea invented the divinity of Christ. The faith has already been revealed. But not all of it has been dogmatically articulated.