• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inerrancy and Infallibility of the Bible

Skwim

Veteran Member

A simple question:​

Is there any verse in the Bible that clearly states it is inerrant and/or infallible?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I just looked in my car's owner's manual and there is nothing in there that say's it's inerrant or infallible. Clearly my owner's manual is all lies and mistruths, or it's up to the reader to interpret it as they see fit.

I'm taking the manual back to the dealership tomorrow to complain.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I just looked in my car's owner's manual and there is nothing in there that say's it's inerrant or infallible. Clearly my owner's manual is all lies and mistruths, or it's up to the reader to interpret it as they see fit.

Q. Were you told your car's owner's manual is inerrant or infallible?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Q. Were you told your car's owner's manual is inerrant or infallible?

Not directly. One would draw the conclusion that it would be based on an axiom that car owner's manuals are true.

But let's, for argument's sake, assume that they salesman told me it was. What difference might that make?

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian

Is there any verse in the Bible that clearly states it is inerrant and/or infallible?

The entire Bible isn't meant to be taken literally, there is an inner spiritual meaning of the Bible as understood by Emmanuel Swedenborg whom I believe has a nearly perfect insight into the Bible's spiritual significance.

Inner Meaning of the Bible – Swedenborg Foundation

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
Not directly. One would draw the conclusion that it would be based on an axiom that car owner's manuals are true.

But let's, for argument's sake, assume that they salesman told me it was. What difference might that make?
Depends on how gullible and needy you are. Do you need your car manual to be inerrant or infallible, and are you gullible enough to believe it is if the car salesman told you so?

Skwim

Veteran Member
The entire Bible isn't meant to be taken literally, there is an inner spiritual meaning of the Bible as understood by Emmanuel Swedenborg who I believe has a nearly perfect insight into the Bible's spiritual significance.
I didn't ask about taking the Bible literally, but I'll assume you're saying the Bible does not clearly state it is inerrant and/or infallible.

Another "No" answer.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Depends on how gullible and needy you are. Do you need your car manual to be inerrant or infallible, and are you gullible enough to believe it is if the car salesman told you so?

I think we’re gettinng a bit off track here. My post, while intended to be humorous, is not without a point.

How many books are you aware of that contain a statement that indicates the contents of said book are inerrant or infallible? Does containing such a statement render the book any more or less inerrant or infallible?

In other words, if I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
I didn't ask about taking the Bible literally, but I'll assume you're saying the Bible does not clearly state it is inerrant and/or infallible.

Another "No" answer.

The Bible doesn't claim to be inerrant, but it does claim to contain spiritual truths. “The entirety of Your word is truth, and every one of Your righteous judgments endures forever” (Psalm 119:160, NKJV).

Skwim

Veteran Member
I think we’re gettinng a bit off track here. My post, while intended to be humorous, is not without a point.
Yeah, I know.

How many books are you aware of that contain a statement that indicates the contents of said book are inerrant or infallible? Does containing such a statement render the book any more or less inerrant or infallible?
Don't know of any others, but, of course this isn't the issue, which is; Why do millions of people claim the Bible is inerrant and/or infallible? The Bible says it's inspired by god, which is a good enough reason for Christians to claim it to be so, but I've yet to come across an equally good reason to see why Christians regard it as inerrant or infallible. Hence my question.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member

There were very strict laws about modifying it... I still believe it is mistranslated. The Hebrew versions better, but I still think they changed some letters. There are different versions of the Torah with different letters which makes me think that.

Bible codes are interesting however. They suggest that if it was changed it was meant to be changed into what it is now!

Jeremiah Ames

The answer to your question must be: no.

However, another, more important, question should be asked.
Such as: is there any verse in the Bible that clearly states it is true?

A big difference.

Jeremiah Ames

This answer is possibly the best answer for the question.