• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ineraction with the Spirit world

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
but you do russle'm up when they stray out of thier 'proper place' right?

so who does your job when your not around?

perhaps a bit of imbalance is nessisary?

wa:-do

Master Vigil

Yeah I guess you can say I russle'em up. :) I am always around. I will be until I die. And then someone else will take my place. Imbalance is necessary. But too much of it is not. Since the spirit world and the physical world are connected, one affects the other. So imbalance in one, is imbalance in the other. I help keep balance so that the world is more peaceful. Or atleast my territory.

true blood

I believe there are "good spirits" angels, and god, and "evil spirits" demons, and satan..
I don't believe humans have a spirit unless a) they are born again and recieve gods spirit or b)they are possessed by a demonic spirit or spirits.
The only exception to a) is the first adam and eve were both created with gods spirit(they both lost it though) and Jesus(who was also created with it)

I'm born again so I have gods spirit in me and I've also had 2 run-ins with demonic spirits that visited me(I live off a major US highway and blame this locale for the unwanton visitation) that I had to rebuke.

Master Vigil

All things with life possess a spirit. And there are other beings who possess nothing but spirit (no body). The good and evil aspect only exists within our perception of them.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Master Vigil
I would go further to include everything in creation... rocks, rivers, mountains et cet...

why would 'god' create something and leave it empty?

wa:-do

Runt

I agree. I think all things in creation have an essence beyond the merely physical... which we sometimes call a spirit or soul.

I have read about the astral plane, and how you can get there or visit through meditation, but it seemed so far fetched to me, but Runts earlier explaination made it seem more logical to me. I have had converstations with my fiance about ghosts which is like you explained here...

Runt said:
There may be "ghosts" of the dead that are basically imprints of their personality/mind in the astral plane that leak into the physical. These are not actual conscious entities, but rather a sort of spiritual signature that can affect the physical world and the astral plane (though more strongly the astral plane).

...which really ties it all together. I never really understood how your mind could be made to be open to other realms, but now I understand it a little better. This is very interesting to me now that it all seems possible. I just really didn't get the concept of meditating though. I guess I have to work on that as well... :(

Runt

I never really understood how your mind could be made to be open to other realms, but now I understand it a little better. This is very interesting to me now that it all seems possible. I just really didn't get the concept of meditating though.

I think that while meditating one can become open to other realms... but I don't think that is always the purpose. Anything can be meditation, so long as it causes you to lose grasp of your Self (meaning that little voice in your head that is ALWAYS talking shuts up and allows you to perceive the world without attachment or the meaning the human mind applies to things). Or, meditation can be actions in which you try to open your mind to other possibilities or realms... there are techniques for consciously visiting the astral plane, but they must be performed with the mind INTACT... meaning that some forms of meditation are not useful for achieving that end.

true blood

I'm not so sure that everything has a spirit. From what I can gather in Genesis is that the first man was a 3 part being. "Body"-God said he formed man's body(this would include plants, aniamals etc..) out of the earth, organic structure, physical structure. "Soul" -God breathe into the body life, this includes all things which animate the "Body" including concious and subconcious, etc.. and then most importantly God creates a very special thing called "Spirit" in man. God had said let us create man in our image. The image of God is Spirit. So here I conclude that the first adam and eve were a 3 part being. Body, Soul, Spirit. No where in the scriptures can I find anything that hints God created a plant or animal in his own image(which is spirit) The verse "but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die" Tells me that either a)man's body died b) man's soul died or c) spirit of man died. My understanding is that spirit had died in man. And the whole purpose of man's life is to regain this lost spirit that connected us to God.

I agree with that in theory, yes, man is strugling to regain thier spiritual relationship with the divine, but I don't think that means we have no spirit. To me, spirit is that little piece of God that was put inside me that gave me life, I don't think I would be living without it.

Not that you are really being debatative, but to me your converstation seems to be pulling away from learning more about the subject than adding to it. We are talking about expirences with spirits, not whether a human or other living thing has one, it came up, but in relation to spiritual interaction. I am really interested in the possiblilty that the human mind can be opened to other dimentions of reality and dicussing the christian view on it doesn't seem relevant to me, sorry to seem selfish, but this is the paganism learning forum... :oops:

true blood

MY BAD. I thought the thread was about the spirit world. And since I'm somewhat of a christian how can I have a pagan view then? Let alone any view that isn't who I am? It wouldn't be me.

Runt

***MOD POST***

Since the subject came up, I'll clarify... the new forum rules state that within the main religion forums there shall be no debate. Which basically means that the only posts permitted here, as October suggested, are ones that attempt to answer the question.

Now, True Blood, you really weren't debating just yet... but it is getting close to that line. However, you were a little off topic... this particular forum was designed to answer three basic questions: How do you feel about interacting with the spirit world? What are spirits to you? Is it okay to ask favors of spirits?

However, I'm not trying to exclude you! Just because you are not pagan does not mean that you can't participate in this conversation. Do you believe in angels? From the pagan point of view angels are basically spirits. So, some questions to try to bring you into this discussion... where do you believe angels reside? How does a Christian (or anyone else) interact with them? What exactly do you believe angels to be? Souls of the dead that reside in heaven? Entities existing before the creation of mankind? Other? Is it okay to ask favors of angels?

Yes, I just wanted to say sorry, I feel like I might have been trying to exclude you and I wasn't really intending that, so I am just saying sorry about that....

I'm like blood, being a Christian, so I'm in the same boat. The bummer with our religion is that our book, the Bible, tells us that ultimately, we are not able to comprehend the spirit world, specifically heaven and hell. All descriptions are simply analogies. Christianity does not deny the existence of spirits, but it tells you to steer clear of them, which bums me out to be honest. Spirits intrigue me immensely, and when I'm told i should run, scream, and tell 'em to go back to hell from whence they came, I feel pretty close minded and ignorant.

I'm gonna start a topic on the laws of the bible, and interaction with spirits will a main point. I'll put a like in here soon. 8)

Oohh, that sounds interesting, pass a link if possible so I can find it... But I know what you mean, growing up christian I was conditioned against meditation, being told that it was dangerous and that it could allow evil spirits to harm me. So now I am not even sure if I can get past that and relax enough to learn how, and I think that allow I have broken those beliefs for the most part, I still kinda feel scared and uncomfortable about it subconsciously. A little unnerving....

Master Vigil

Its sad though how christianity feels about spirits. For no spirits are necessarily good or bad, but only how we percieve them to be. They just try to survive like us. And if one is lucky, they can be much a better guide than the bible. Especially because they are all spirit, no physical body to limit them. Therefore they come close to the Eternal Tao, and understand it much more than we do.

Hey Vigil,

Although you have said that you were gifted by the spirits, and that all but one of your trainees has failed, is there perhaps a website that contains the basics of your practices? I would enjoy being further educated on your system of beliefs, but all I know at the moment if vague generalicies, and I feel ignorant.

o ya btw the link to my new topic is: http://www.religiousforums.com/parkweb/viewtopic.php?t=673

:mrgreen:

Master Vigil

I ony had one student though. So I'm 1 for 1. :) I really don't have a website on my methods and stuff, its hard to put it in words. My website only deals with my basic philosophical principles that were a result of my methods. It is http://vigiltemple.8m.com

But there is nothing there on how to sense and understand the spirits. If you would like, I could add on to the page, or you could just ask me here.

Master Vigil

Yeah I guess you can say I russle'em up. :) I am always around. I will be until I die. And then someone else will take my place. Imbalance is necessary. But too much of it is not. Since the spirit world and the physical world are connected, one affects the other. So imbalance in one, is imbalance in the other. I help keep balance so that the world is more peaceful. Or atleast my territory.

In my house resides a boy (age 6 or 7) named Jamie (James). He is a spirit who does not know how to pass on. He needs a friend and I am his friend. I now know how he died and just am there for him.

Summary-Spirits play a big role in my life. Even though I do not believe 100% in spirits, I do have a ghost in my house. :)