• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inequality VS Wealth difference

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
As long as you wear the blinders of "wealth envy" you'll never really see the truth. I have met many wealthy people and none of them every did anything as juvenile as "...rub the poor's nose in the dirt..."; they were usually to busy working to waste time this way. BTW, the richest people I know started out with absolutely nothing and worked like demons toward their dreams; they never b****hed about their circumstances or setbacks. Are there elitist snobs out there that feel entitled because of their wealth? (There are also people out there that feel entitled because of their poverty.) Certainly, but this is the exception, not the rule, at least in my experience. But,I have met people on all levels of social strata that thought they were better than someone else. These people I have written off out of hand. No one owes you anymore than you earn.

I think you kind of missed the point of what I was saying. None of this addresses anything I wrote. You think you have a monopoly on what is truth?

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
What exactly does that mean: equality? Do you actually think everyone is equal? Do you think, in your job, that you are equal to a worker who may have struggled through college, maybe working one or more jobs, to acquire that Sheepskin? Do you think that someone who refuses to work at all is equal to you come payday? Aren't you already equal to everyone else in this world? Do you really want equality or do you simply want everyone to exist on the same level of misery?

Simply if I am able to do the job, willing to do the job and proved I can do the job, I should be eligible for the job, no matter my color of skin, sex, education. My problem was not the pay, my problem was even though they were using me for a higher position they did not allow me into that higher position. I had an engineer that liked me a lot and wanted me to work for him. He tried for over a month to get me. Corporate would not allow him to transfer me because I needed a bachelor's degree. Whenever there is a need and the engineers are not available I get a call even today. Mind you I have stopped trying to move up and I tell them no a lot more but I still would love to be able to work to my ability.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I don't think it's possible for everyone to have an equal outcome, although some of the disparities in income and wealth seem rather arbitrary. There's the implication that someone earning more money is somehow "superior" to those who make less money, but with the huge gaps in wages and income out there, it's hard to swallow that anyone is that superior or somehow worth that much more. That's what seems far more difficult to justify and the probable reason why there's so much resentment and consternation over this issue.

Few people would question that a doctor would earn more than a janitor or a fry cook, but the fact that there's such a huge disparity (and people living on starvation wages) give people a valid justification for questioning and challenging the economic system we live under.

The thing is, it doesn't have to be like this. This is not about making the economy more productive or efficient, nor is there any particular logic or rationality to it. The main explanation for why things are the way they are is because those at the top have insatiable egos that have to be placated constantly. The wealthy believe that they're superior to the poor, and the only reason they rub the poor's nose in the dirt is purely emotional, not logical or practical.

I believe that all jobs start equal and only time and quality of work and education requirement should amount to different salary ranges. If a person is willing to work 90 hours a week for the company they should be paid more than a person who works 40 hours a week. If a person is willing to travel 80% of the time for a company they should be paid more than a person that isn't willing to travel. If a job requires more education or continual education then the person should be compensated for the education. None of this should be done to a point that people take the job just for the money.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I think you kind of missed the point of what I was saying. None of this addresses anything I wrote. You think you have a monopoly on what is truth?

Yes.

Simply if I am able to do the job, willing to do the job and proved I can do the job, I should be eligible for the job, no matter my color of skin, sex, education. My problem was not the pay, my problem was even though they were using me for a higher position they did not allow me into that higher position. I had an engineer that liked me a lot and wanted me to work for him. He tried for over a month to get me. Corporate would not allow him to transfer me because I needed a bachelor's degree. Whenever there is a need and the engineers are not available I get a call even today. Mind you I have stopped trying to move up and I tell them no a lot more but I still would love to be able to work to my ability.

But...but...education was a requirement for that particular job--a Bachelors Degree. You didn't have it and the company evidently made it plain that it was required. You are no longer asking for equality, you want the rules to bend for you. If you don't have the degree, then you are not showing you have the ability. Life's tough.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Yes.

But...but...education was a requirement for that particular job--a Bachelors Degree. You didn't have it and the company evidently made it plain that it was required. You are no longer asking for equality, you want the rules to bend for you. If you don't have the degree, then you are not showing you have the ability. Life's tough.

The degree is just a piece of paper. I have the education (associates degree and self education), I have proven myself and I have the desire, why do I need a piece of paper. I was assigned twice to work with New Engineers because there was no one else available at one site the customer knew me and was comfortable with me. The engineer had one year. The other time the Engineer had 2 years with the company. Both times I had to solve the problems. The issue being is that I do it tactfully not showing up the engineers and giving the team the praise. The real reason I don't have the job is 2 people I pissed off. One engineer I embarrassed early in my career (I was young) because of his ineptitude he became a manager and is relatively high in the engineering department. The second is the son of an ex board member who because of ties to the board became a Vice President in the company but in my opinion the worst manager I have ever known and I told him so (early on in my career).

Even though education is being used it is politics that is stopping me, still a lack of equality.

Last edited:

BSM1

What? Me worry?
The degree is just a piece of paper. I have the education (associates degree and self education), I have proven myself and I have the desire, why do I need a piece of paper. I was assigned twice to work with New Engineers because there was no one else available at one site the customer knew me and was comfortable with me. The engineer had one year. The other time the Engineer had 2 years with the company. Both times I had to solve the problems. The issue being is that I do it tactfully not showing up the engineers and giving the team the praise. The real reason I don't have the job is 2 people I pissed off. One engineer I embarrassed early in my career (I was young) because of his ineptitude he became a manager and is relatively high in the engineering department. The second is the son of an ex board member who because of ties to the board became a Vice President in the company but in my opinion the worst manager I have ever known and I told him so (early on in my career).

Even though education is being used it is politics that is stopping me, still a lack of equality.

Bottom line: you simply don't meet the requirements of the job, i.e., a Bachelors Degree. If you feel that you are so under appreciated and wasted at this job why not seek employment where you can finally feel the love?

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Bottom line: you simply don't meet the requirements of the job, i.e., a Bachelors Degree. If you feel that you are so under appreciated and wasted at this job why not seek employment where you can finally feel the love?

This is about inequality not me, I just used my stories as examples. I can't imagine what happens to women and people of color that actually have degrees and yes I work with upper management and been told I will never hire a _______ for this position. Fill in the blank and I probably heard it. As long as a job can discriminate based on family, feelings or pieces of paper we will never have equality. Pay is not the problem.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
This is about inequality not me, I just used my stories as examples. I can't imagine what happens to women and people of color that actually have degrees and yes I work with upper management and been told I will never hire a _______ for this position. Fill in the blank and I probably heard it. As long as a job can discriminate based on family, feelings or pieces of paper we will never have equality. Pay is not the problem.

Obviously you don't realize that an employer calls the shots. If you think you have been discriminated against you have legal options. But if you don't meet the requirements of the job you don't have room to legally complain. This has absolutely nothing to do with equality. You can take the risk and start you own company if you feel that equality is more important than meeting real requirements.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Obviously you don't realize that an employer calls the shots. If you think you have been discriminated against you have legal options. But if you don't meet the requirements of the job you don't have room to legally complain. This has absolutely nothing to do with equality. You can take the risk and start you own company if you feel that equality is more important than meeting real requirements.

Discrimination has everything to do with equality.

From the BBC article

First, the idea that people should have equal opportunity in society, regardless of their background, race, sexuality, gender and so on.

The second idea is fair distribution, which says that benefits or rewards should be distributed fairly based on merit.