• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indulgences for the living and dead

caritas

We can use indulgences for the remission of our temporal punishment due to sins whose guilt has already been forgiven....we can use these indulgences for ourselves as well as those in purgatory.

What are peoples thoughts on this.

kadzbiz

Well, let's see now. Personally I would have to totally disagree with this statement in principle, in principle that is, although the theory does appear to be somewhat sound, but on the other hand, one could argue that the reverse was in fact true, if it wasn't for the perceived notion that this also would be a preposturous point of view to have, considering that I myself don't have a clue of what you're talking about.

:shrug:

Te Deum

Roman Catholic Seminarian
We can use indulgences for the remission of our temporal punishment due to sins whose guilt has already been forgiven....we can use these indulgences for ourselves as well as those in purgatory.

What are peoples thoughts on this.

This is true and correctly in line with Church teachings.

"An indulgence is a remission before God of the temporal punishment due to sins whose guilt has already been forgiven, which the faithful Christian who is duly disposed gains under certain defined conditions through the Church’s help when, as a minister of redemption, she dispenses and applies with authority the treasury of the satisfactions won by Christ and the saints" (Indulgentiarum Doctrina 1).

A Catholic Life: What are indulgences?

Colabomb

does anyone else get the distinct notion that this thread was started to inspire a heated Catholic/protestant debate?