• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indoor Trees

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
So for the first time in a long while the internet has failed me elsewhere. Does anyone know of any trees that are in season right now, that can be planted and cared for indoors? I was gunna get a Meyer's Lemon Tree, but they are out of season. Any help, or even some direction would be helpful. I live in Western WA state right now.

Thanks all!

Thruve

Sheppard for the Die Hard
Eventually youll need to put it out doors, unless of course you want the worlds biggest bush tree to overrun ur house.

omg as kids, ficus trees = my best friend. They were the only trees you could climb and actually have fun while climbing them, especially if they were next to canals or lakes, we would fish out of them lol.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I don't think it will grow to it's max height of 10ft within the first year. ;). But we will see. it's about 2.5 ft for now.

And I don't know if I really mind an overgrown bush-tree in my living room.

Last edited:

Thruve

I don't think it will grow to it's max height of 10ft within the first year. ;). But we will see. it's about 2.5 ft for now.

And I don't know if I really mind an overgrown bush-tree in my living room.

Lol just make sure its roots have plenty of pot to spread in. Remember their roots don't grow down, they grow out near the surface. During hurricanes, they are usually the first to fall for that reason.

Thruve

What about the bonzai plants?
Find a swap shop near you..
buy a bunch lol.

Make a landscape in a pot. You can call it ur backyard >.<

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
What about the bonzai plants?
Find a swap shop near you..
buy a bunch lol.

Make a landscape in a pot. You can call it ur backyard >.<

I thought about it, but what I am doing specificlly calls for a tree, and I was recommeded to get an indoor Ficus, as they are known to thrive indoors.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Lol just make sure its roots have plenty of pot to spread in. Remember their roots don't grow down, they grow out near the surface. During hurricanes, they are usually the first to fall for that reason.

Yeah, I repotted my tree yesterday, and I am very nervous that I shocked the poor thing, or even damaged it. I really hope it survives. I would feel horrible if the tree died on me :(.
I care more for plants and animals then people..... Lol.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Large plants or trees, which is it? Hibiscus can become indoor trees, actually are trees. As for re-potting, they should actually like it, and it's very hard to damage things. You can use a little Rootbuider type of fertilizer too.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
It was recommended to use a tree, but I do not have the ability to plant an outdoor tree and so I was recommended to plant a Ficus tree (Member of the fig family and rubber tree), which grows well indoors.
It means tree, as opposed to large bush or herb.
I am just not certain that I loosened the root ball enough, so I re-potted it, then pulled it again and tried re-loosening the root ball some more (very densely tangled), and then potted it again. I guess I will see in a week or so if it is taking to the pot.

Thruve

It was recommended to use a tree, but I do not have the ability to plant an outdoor tree and so I was recommended to plant a Ficus tree (Member of the fig family and rubber tree), which grows well indoors.
It means tree, as opposed to large bush or herb.
I am just not certain that I loosened the root ball enough, so I re-potted it, then pulled it again and tried re-loosening the root ball some more (very densely tangled), and then potted it again. I guess I will see in a week or so if it is taking to the pot.

May I ask what purpose this tree is for you?
Your hinting that its "recommended" that you have an indoor tree.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
May I ask what purpose this tree is for you?
Your hinting that its "recommended" that you have an indoor tree.

The short answer is it has religious significance.

The long answer is that it's part of the candidacy year for a religious group I am interested in. Part of the process for first year applicants is to plant and care for a tree. They prefer you plant a regular tree outdoors, but if your circumstances do not permit that, you may plant an indoor tree, as long as the Grand Grove approves it. *shrug* may sound silly to some, I think it is a great thing.

Thruve

The short answer is it has religious significance.

The long answer is that it's part of the candidacy year for a religious group I am interested in. Part of the process for first year applicants is to plant and care for a tree. They prefer you plant a regular tree outdoors, but if your circumstances do not permit that, you may plant an indoor tree, as long as the Grand Grove approves it. *shrug* may sound silly to some, I think it is a great thing.

Oh, I support thee 100%. I have a tree growing in my living room by our sliding glass doors that lead to the backyard. Don't ask how its growing there, because we don't know either, and its 3 feet tall lol. Its behind the TV and is growing between the door, the crack where it arose from, and behind the TV. Its constantly in the sun tht shines through our back sliding glass door so we wana see how big it gets before we spray/cut it out. Ill take pics this week and post it lol, its so dam random. I could send you pics of the ficus bushes were growing on the side of our house too, yet atm half of them are losing leaves like mad because of the 'moth fly', but they still look ok XP

Might I suggest, once it starts growing mad leaves, that every week you trim it so that it looks like a tree, otherwise itll just grow into a bush. I believe you can trim off the SMALL branches that stem near the middle/bottom of the main trunk. If you don't keep up with the trimming, I know the top will only sprout leaves at the very tippidy top, and it won't look full like the top of a tree should. I believe.. if you constnantly keep it trimmed, the top branches will sprout more branches and leaves that will give it the full look.
See here:

OIKtdBG.jpg

That one is the best one I could find, yet it has been modified with the three trunks as you can see, which is why it looks.. really full, prob because technically its 3 trees. You get the idea. It looks like a tree, not a bush. If you wana keep this puppy, and not plant it outside at some point, id consider looking up how to grow 3, and bend the trunks as to look like the picture I've shown above. Might be fun to do too!! Id throw some spanish moss on it after 4-5 months.

Last edited:

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Oh, I support thee 100%. I have a tree growing in my living room by our sliding glass doors that lead to the backyard. Don't ask how its growing there, because we don't know either, and its 3 feet tall lol. Its behind the TV and is growing between the door, the crack where it arose from, and behind the TV. Its constantly in the sun tht shines through our back sliding glass door so we wana see how big it gets before we spray/cut it out. Ill take pics this week and post it lol, its so dam random. I could send you pics of the ficus bushes were growing on the side of our house too, yet atm half of them are losing leaves like mad because of the 'moth fly', but they still look ok XP

Might I suggest, once it starts growing mad leaves, that every week you trim it so that it looks like a tree, otherwise itll just grow into a bush. I believe you can trim off the SMALL branches that stem near the middle/bottom of the main trunk. If you don't keep up with the trimming, I know the top will only sprout leaves at the very tippidy top, and it won't look full like the top of a tree should. I believe.. if you constnantly keep it trimmed, the top branches will sprout more branches and leaves that will give it the full look.
See here:

OIKtdBG.jpg

That one is the best one I could find, yet it has been modified with the three trunks as you can see, which is why it looks.. really full, prob because technically its 3 trees. You get the idea. It looks like a tree, not a bush. If you wana keep this puppy, and not plant it outside at some point, id consider looking up how to grow 3, and bend the trunks as to look like the picture I've shown above. Might be fun to do too!! Id throw some spanish moss on it after 4-5 months.

I really appreciate the info. I will take a look into how to properly prune the tree I have, he's still a little guy right now. Maybe a foot and half tall max, and definitely bush like lol. I have been throwing the moss idea around, but I am worried I may have to repot him again, since he is still so young, and will end up having to pull up the moss. I do love moss though ^_^.

Thruve

I really appreciate the info. I will take a look into how to properly prune the tree I have, he's still a little guy right now. Maybe a foot and half tall max, and definitely bush like lol. I have been throwing the moss idea around, but I am worried I may have to repot him again, since he is still so young, and will end up having to pull up the moss. I do love moss though ^_^.

Look up spanish moss. Many of the cypress tress and oak trees down here have LOADS of spanish moss. The contrast of its color is what makes the cypress/oak trees uniquely awesome to stare at because their trunks are roughly the same stale looking, brown color, as the moss. It doesn't grow down here in South Florida as much as it does in middle/central florida where its more dry, but it's still common to the floridian eye no matter where you live. The cool thing with moss is, it won't kill a tree, like your ficus tree, but youll need even MORE sun on the ficus because spanish moss, or any moss rather, will absorb the sunlight if ur not controlling where the moss is growing. You obviously do not want the moss to cover the top or side of the ficus where its getting sunlight. You'll want to trim/pull/take out moss thats affecting main areas where the tree is getting sunlight ok?

Spanish moss is generally super dry, so its easy to pull off/take out/ and easy to manage. However.. once you start growing it theres no stopping it lol
I've seen people grow it and within a year, its COMPLETELY engulfed the tree and it hangs down by the feet. As kids we would pull it off trees and use it to start fires because its naturally very dry. Im not sure as to its water intake.. but naturally you would spray mist on the moss, and pour water in the pot for the actual tree.

Google spanish moss, youll see what it looks like. I've seen it grow on a handful of ficuses down here when maintained. Otherwise, it will die on a ficus because the way the leaves are, they cover alot of surface area and grow OUT, Not permitting sunlight to hit the moss, which is why itll grow easily on cypress and oak trees because the leaves on them are smaller than my finger nails.

*Note- you dont have to pull up the moss to replant. The moss im talking about grows on the tree, not under. Im not talking about the green moss that you see growing in dirt, this moss specifically grows on branches of trees and usually droop down to get more sunlight.

Heres a picture of spanish moss thats slightly thriving on a cypress tree.
fVhJPXu.jpg

This is a green version of spanish moss, and usually what I'll see when people personally grow it on their trees for asthetics, on trees neither oak nor cypress nor maple. Green moss might actually look pretty awesome on ur ficus Tree, if you can control it to hang down from the middle/bottom branches of the upper area of ur tree. If you dont spray or let it dry out, itll get that light brownish color, like im acustomed too.
eC2p2rJ.jpg

I see this quite often. As kids, we'd find trees so FULL of spanish moss that we could litterally hide in it. It would go fully, all the way to the ground. This pic is just for luls and would most likely never happen to your ficus should you decide to give it a try lol. This easily kills the tree as it would get no sun. Pull all of it off, youll find its dead xP
JOFjXiW.jpg

Just a thought from what I've seen. IDK where you live or where you are, or if your ficus is near/in sunlight most if not some of the day, but just giving some pointers on what you can do to have fun.

Last edited:

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Look up spanish moss. Many of the cypress tress and oak trees down here have LOADS of spanish moss. The contrast of its color is what makes the cypress/oak trees uniquely awesome to stare at because their trunks are roughly the same stale looking, brown color, as the moss. It doesn't grow down here in South Florida as much as it does in middle/central florida where its more dry, but it's still common to the floridian eye no matter where you live. The cool thing with moss is, it won't kill a tree, like your ficus tree, but youll need even MORE sun on the ficus because spanish moss, or any moss rather, will absorb the sunlight if ur not controlling where the moss is growing. You obviously do not want the moss to cover the top or side of the ficus where its getting sunlight. You'll want to trim/pull/take out moss thats affecting main areas where the tree is getting sunlight ok?

Spanish moss is generally super dry, so its easy to pull off/take out/ and easy to manage. However.. once you start growing it theres no stopping it lol
I've seen people grow it and within a year, its COMPLETELY engulfed the tree and it hangs down by the feet. As kids we would pull it off trees and use it to start fires because its naturally very dry. Im not sure as to its water intake.. but naturally you would spray mist on the moss, and pour water in the pot for the actual tree.

Google spanish moss, youll see what it looks like. I've seen it grow on a handful of ficuses down here when maintained. Otherwise, it will die on a ficus because the way the leaves are, they cover alot of surface area and grow OUT, Not permitting sunlight to hit the moss, which is why itll grow easily on cypress and oak trees because the leaves on them are smaller than my finger nails.

*Note- you dont have to pull up the moss to replant. The moss im talking about grows on the tree, not under. Im not talking about the green moss that you see growing in dirt, this moss specifically grows on branches of trees and usually droop down to get more sunlight.

Heres a picture of spanish moss thats slightly thriving on a cypress tree.
fVhJPXu.jpg

This is a green version of spanish moss, and usually what I'll see when people personally grow it on their trees for asthetics, on trees neither oak nor cypress nor maple. Green moss might actually look pretty awesome on ur ficus Tree, if you can control it to hang down from the middle/bottom branches of the upper area of ur tree. If you dont spray or let it dry out, itll get that light brownish color, like im acustomed too.
eC2p2rJ.jpg

Alright, definitely gunna look into Spanish Moss. I was certainly confusing it with the type that grow on the ground and needs all that lovely moisture. We have a lot of the ground moss up here where I am (Pacific Northwest) since it rains, a lot.

The Spanish Moss looks awesome though. I think I am gunna wait until I have a handle on this tree thing first before I throw a second plant in there. I am not completely comfortable with the care of the tree itself yet. I am new to gardening (this is the first thing I have ever really grown), hence my paranoia surrounding whether or not I re-potted this Ficus tree properly.

Thruve

Alright, definitely gunna look into Spanish Moss. I was certainly confusing it with the type that grow on the ground and needs all that lovely moisture. We have a lot of the ground moss up here where I am (Pacific Northwest) since it rains, a lot.

The Spanish Moss looks awesome though. I think I am gunna wait until I have a handle on this tree thing first before I throw a second plant in there. I am not completely comfortable with the care of the tree itself yet. I am new to gardening (this is the first thing I have ever really grown), hence my paranoia surrounding whether or not I re-potted this Ficus tree properly.

Aye gotcha lol. Funny were both at opposite ends of the country. Worry not, Ficus trees down here are an all year round plant/bush/tree that always thrives. That means it can handle a bad dry season, wet season, hot season, and cold season. You'll be fine ^^